Barrel aging ever a detraction?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PaulyB83, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mctizzz

mctizzz Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Deactivated

Old Rasputin > BA Old Rasputin
    Port Santa's Little Helper > BA Santa's Little Helper

2. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Pannepot was my first thought. While not a detraction, I'd say Breakfast Stout is arguably just as good as KBS.

3. BradStokley

BradStokley Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

Funny, as I read the first 2 lines of this BBQ popped into my head right away. Spot on.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  4. kort27

kort27 Zealot (578) Apr 23, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Monster 29 was not helped by the barrel.

5. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

I prefer Arrogant Bastard to the Oak-aged.

PaulyB83 and jbertsch like this.
  6. basickness

basickness Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania

bourbon/whiskey barrel aging > plain oak barrel aging

7. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not me, man. Aging has definitely given me a richer, more complex character. I've even been acquiring a more barrel-esque shape lately.

Halluxone, rightcoast7 and Stevedore like this.
  8. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Zealot (722) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

As much as I like BA beers I'm only interested in drinking so much barrel flavor in beer.

9. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

While I agree with the sentiment of this thread--that bourbon barrel aging can be a detraction--I cannot in good conscience agree with the example provided: BBQ.

The thing I love about BBQ is that while you definitely taste the heat (especially fresh), it didn't taste like straight-up bourbon to me, which is how I tend to perceive BBA beers that aren't very good. I thought the bourbon and oak combined with the cherry to create a wonderfully brandy-like beer with notes of vanilla, cherry and spice.

It's probably one of my *favorite* BA beers. Well, as long as we're excluding sour beers.

10. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

I don't believe beer should be barrel aged. Not a fan of wine or whiskey, so I don't want my beer tasting like either.

SingularWalker and AlienSwineFlu like this.
  11. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Parabola - I've had this twice, and the first time I thought the barrel ruined what seemed to be a fantastic base beer. (The 2nd time I had it, I didn't feel that way...so maybe batch variation is at play).

And I think regular Arrogant Bastard is far better than the oaked version.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  12. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I don't like tuna fish, therefore their existence should cease.

13. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I agree with the answer above of Port's SLH. I also don't care for most of the FW barrel offerings. I don't see them as being in the forefront of BA beers as other other do.

14. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Double Trouble is the base beer. I agree, it's much better fresh than from a bourbon barrel.
    http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/doom-is-our-next-backstage-series-release/
    I haven't had it before, but I'll look out for it.

15. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado
    In Memoriam

I have had Bomb! and Pirate Bomb! I always have them side-by-side. Every bottle is different to me, but sometimes I enjoy the vanilla characteristics of Bomb! over the rum barrel aged (that takes the vanilla out) version.

16. MenardMa

MenardMa Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut

Yeah, actually I was the one who declined technically :slight_frown:

I was near the front of the line with my wife's uncle and we decided that he would just get one and we'd share it on xmas. Stupid move, I didn't realize it'd be so damn good!

17. surfcaster

surfcaster Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

That has a lot to do with the base beer and if you like the whiskey flavor.

I do find this true for stouts.

There have been some great BA DIPAs--Olde Hickory BA Redeemer (keg only) was just outstanding at local NC beer festival last year and was regarded as one of the best things there. I cannot say the same for BBA DIPA like Doom where the bourbon and barrel just overwhelmed the IPA.

18. lewisti

lewisti Crusader (499) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

Me too can't believe I paid $23 a bomber for that stuff

19. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

I really really wish I had this problem to even be able to choose between the two.

20. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

While COOP's Territorial Reserve Barrel Aged Imp. Stout is delicious, the first couple of vintages tasted like I had drank straight from the bourbon barrel. They've toned it down the last couple of years, but I would like to see what kind of Imperial Stout they could create by not aging this in bourbon barrels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.