1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Barrel Theory Beer Company

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by HammsMeASAP, Jun 25, 2017.

1. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (109) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

New thread time.

I'll wait a few weeks to try these guys out. Looking forward to it.

DBijnagte and jonbonfondle like this.
  2. Ish1

Ish1 Disciple (323) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota

Why would you wait? Things are dialed right out of the gate.

3. TGanyone

TGanyone Disciple (316) Jan 29, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Looks like I should have worded the title of my previous BT thread differently. God forbid we talk about a new brewery outside the new brewery thread! Be careful Karl is watching!

4. gudbrande

gudbrande Disciple (393) Jul 10, 2009 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Went there Sunday, had all five (rain drops, java oats, key sublime, raining 3's, and batch 1). Not a huge fan of Berliner Weiss, but the wife thought that it was great. Said they were planning some variants on a base Berliner Weiss recipe. Maybe Batch 1 was a bit underwhelming compared to the other IPAs, but rain drops and raining 3's were great and amazing, respectively. The coffee was the highlight of the java oats, really fresh.
    I was blown away the quality right out of the gate. The staff was awesome, kudos to everyone at BT, seems like a top-notch group.

5. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (50) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

So I'm looking at their hours, and it looks like they are open Thur-Sun, plus two hours before all Saints games.

I'm going to the Saints game on Wednesday. Game time is 7:00. Does that mean they will be open from 5:00 until 7:00, and then close for the night?

Just trying to figure out if I can "Post-game", or if I have to "Pre-game".

ElmerLovejoy and gatornation like this.
  6. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,831) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Good question!

7. stevefenster

stevefenster Initiate (104) Mar 29, 2016 Colorado
    Trader

It's almost like they have someone watching this website or something.....

[​IMG]
    Barrel Theory Beer Company
    2 mins ·
    There are Saints home games this week and other special events. Here are our hours for the week:

Tues 6/27: 4-10pm
    Wed 6/28: 5-10pm
    Thu 6/29: 3-10pm
    Fri 6/30: 3-10pm
    Sat 7/1: 10am-10pm [open early for Member Society sign up]
    Sun 7/2: Noon-5pm

Hope to see you soon. Cheers!

Wowcoolman, josephwa and gatornation like this.
  8. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (81) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

My birthday is coming up, I wish BT would throw a big party for me and all my friends with free beer and food...

Someone PM me when they post the details.

9. ajbanana

ajbanana Initiate (27) Jan 4, 2017 Minnesota

Was there opening night and it was packed. The Key Sublime berliner weiss was really good but not for everyone as some of my friends thought it was too sour, the Rain Drops IPA was tasty and the Raining 3s double IPA was probably my fav. My husband had the Java Oats which I was not a fan of because I don't like coffee but it he liked it so much he had 3 of them (and only them) that night and says it's one of his new favs.

All of my friends that came liked their beers as well.

doner24 likes this.
  10. Crazytrain83

Much obliged.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  11. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Crusader (777) Sep 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Just returned from the pub. We left the Saints game in the 8th inning to make last call. Solid selection of beers as mentioned above, Rain Drops being my favorite. MPG convetted someone who hated beer to liking it - she drank my whole pour. Kudos

DBijnagte likes this.
  12. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (116) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

MPG is great, like a tart juicebox. Might be my favorite of the beers they've brewed so far. Sounding like there is a IIIPA and a tweaked version of batch 1 coming up quick.

arniepnminne and Nivek43 like this.
  13. Nivek43

Nivek43 Initiate (112) Mar 22, 2012 Minnesota

Excited for that IIIPA and to try a new batch of batch 1. Any word on hops for the IIIPA?

DBijnagte likes this.
  14. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (116) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

I forget the hop bill.

mrpeterandthepuffers and Nivek43 like this.
  15. Crazytrain83

Visited last night. The two Berliners were both fantastic. Slight nod to the key lime. Apparently we got the bottom of the barrel of the MPG. Server brought us over a free taster of the new keg when they tapped it... to get a truer sense of how it should taste.

Raindrops and Raining 3s were both good but not great. (Disclaimer- We were just at Toppling Goliath on Sat... So the bar is set pretty high)

Really impressed. Can't wait until they get some beer into some barrels.

16. IPA-AllDay

IPA-AllDay Initiate (40) Nov 17, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Rain Drops and Raining Threes has the same hop bill of citra and mosaic with the exception of Raining Threes having Vic Secret hops added.

Nivek43 likes this.
  17. zenwatts

zenwatts Disciple (331) Oct 26, 2005 Minnesota

I tried all of their IPA's today. This place is the shit...you want to check them out! If that's too detailed for you...sorry. :wink:

18. Crazytrain83

The only minor hiccup was...

I saw that cooler full of growlers and got all excited. Turns out they were all empty, and only there to fill the space.

19. Spewlander

Spewlander Initiate (78) May 17, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Alright, fess up. Who's in line?

20. doner24

doner24 Initiate (97) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

Nearly everyone lined up is in "the crew".

mjryan, mloichin and DBijnagte like this.
  21. nmoe

nmoe Initiate (88) Dec 18, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Update on the line situation? Thanks!

22. warmbier804

warmbier804 Disciple (302) Aug 16, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

I just got here and am #99. And looks like #100 just showed up...

IPA-AllDay, Centinela and Sinatra716 like this.
  23. nmoe

Trader

Thanks for the heads up. Saved me a bunch of time today.

warmbier804 likes this.
  24. nograz

nograz Disciple (384) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Does that include or not include the extra people that will magically show up but "were totally in line bruh"

25. gatornation

Trader

Wow 100 at 545am, is that correct time of posting?

26. Nuts4Barrel-aged

Nuts4Barrel-aged Initiate (84) Dec 14, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

That is nuts. Everyone in line beat me out of bed and I had to work at 7. I visited the taproom this week and was impressed. I had the Raindrops, Raining 3s, MPG and Key Sublime. MPG was fruity, tart but very drinkable and the Raindrops was a juicy, hazy ipa that I would have filled a growler with if they were doing that yet.

27. nmoe

Trader

So I actually did make the mistake of going. I was 102 and missed out. 100 got there at around 630. I was 645. The hand numbers were slightly off but a good idea.

GoGoldy78 likes this.
  28. HammsMeASAP

St. Paul is a complete pain in the ass to navigate. Seriously though, I'll just wait until the hype dies down just a little bit.

shadetree67 and Cibsie like this.
  29. Atom13

Atom13 Initiate (119) Jun 29, 2010 Minnesota

I was there last week on Saturday right before the Saints game, it wasn't bad at all and cleared out as game time got closer. It's pretty easy to get there actually with a parking ramp a couple blocks away.

TboneRN and HammsMeASAP like this.
  30. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (165) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Maybe I'm just starting to feel too poor for the cities, but this is the reason I haven't gone yet. Paying $5+ for parking on top of the beer would basically make it an $11 pint of an IPA. If there was a parking lot, I would have been there a couple times by now.

31. HammsMeASAP

This makes it a little better:sunglasses:

32. TurkishSqueeze

TurkishSqueeze Initiate (45) Sep 13, 2016 Minnesota

Not to mention mileage, insurance, and gas! And then there's lost time at work. Don't even get me started about that. These crooks are essentially charging about 40 bucks per pint!

33. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (163) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

GoGoldy78, Sinatra716 and HammsMeASAP like this.
  34. gatornation

Trader

There is so much parking within Blocks of Barrel Theory and as @JakeJohnson said meters not enforced on Sunday. As Far as getting to and from i use Shepard Rd. i can get there or back to S Minneapolis in 15 minutes even during rush hour, to use Sibley from use Jackson St.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  35. gatornation

Trader

Other than construction Dwtn St Paul is a breeze for a city its size.

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  36. islay

islay Aspirant (243) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

If you go to Barrel Theory, you’re probably going to have to pay for parking. If you go to most other taprooms, you probably aren’t going to have to pay for parking. That alone makes visiting Barrel Theory a more expensive excursion than visiting most other taprooms, all else being equal. I'm not sure why you're mocking the acknowledgment of that economic reality. Throw in the high prices at Barrel Theory (currently $6 for a pint of a standard beer and $7 for 10 oz. of a specialty beer), and it’s probably the most expensive taproom experience in the state. Going to Barrel Theory for a couple of beers probably is going to cost you at least several dollars more than most of its competitors once you factor in parking fees. That doesn’t necessarily mean somebody shouldn’t go, but it’s certainly rational to factor in those costs. It's up to Barrel Theory to brew good enough beers to convince consumers that the marginal cost is worth it.

KarlHungus and HammsMeASAP like this.
  37. gatornation

Trader

They already have plus ad in the factor of CHS,MN Wild,Theater,Restaurants,outside music, other brewpubs, Museums ,Art ,Lowertown, .

38. elliott1184

elliott1184 Disciple (347) Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

For the love of God, it's in *downtown St. Paul* Are we all from rural North Dakota and unfamiliar with the concept of parking meters??

Additionally, $6 for a pint of a well done dry-hopped NE style IPA is *not* high

PerHops, burlyb, Benj68 and 12 others like this.
  39. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (163) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

If you can't afford $0.75/hr metered parking, there is free street parking 2 blocks or so east of the brewery. Their parking situation is much better than North Loop, but obviously lags behind breweries with lots or free street parking directly in front of the taproom.

PerHops and islay like this.
  40. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (225) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Are you listening Barrel Theory? There's much more money to be made in parts like Anoka or Farmington where the asphalt is plentiful and free rather than those crowded streets and foot traffic full of actual people passing by in downtown St. Paul.