Barreled Souls (2020)

Discussion in 'New England' started by jhavs, Mar 31, 2020.

1. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (354) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I’m kicking myself for not joining last year, although I live right down the road and have gotten a few deliveries of Dark Matter and Big Bang, which is very nice. I’m on the waiting list and hope to get in this fall.

I have to say, I underestimated these guys for a long time, but I’ve been very impressed with their last several releases.

2. JuanFushashi

JuanFushashi Initiate (152) Feb 5, 2011 Maine
    Trader

10 Cents Gets You Nuts is tasting really good. I love banana in a beer, but I know that people can be turned off by too much of it. Fortunately, the banana is subtle and I’m getting chocolate the most.

So much Barreled Souls stout sweetness this month, feel like a kid on Halloween with a filled pillowcase.

killamonjaro and jhavs like this.
  3. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (357) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just had a stay puft from last year and its still drinking great. Can't wait to compare, and possibly cuvee with this years soon. Like most others, had zero restraint in dropping 100 bucks on stay puft. Such a great beer.

killamonjaro likes this.
  4. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,932) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Raffle for charity from Barreled Souls.

Prize is Stay Puft and BA Stay Puft magnums.

[​IMG]

#44 jhavs, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    CTHopman, Davl22 and colby600 like this.
  5. colby600

colby600 Defender (631) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I threw in my $10 and was lucky enough to be chosen for a pair of magnums. Sweet!

6. jhavs

Society Trader

Nice! I didn’t win, but happy to give to the charity.

Enjoy the mags!

colby600 likes this.
  7. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (583) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Congrats, I also missed out but glad a fellow BA got it.

JuanFushashi, jhavs and colby600 like this.
  8. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,688) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Okay, todays release announcement convinces me the bottle society is at one time a great deal and also a wallet drain.....yes of course I want 2 bottles of 18.2% double barrel aged imperial stout for $18 a pop!!

car will be riding low once I make this beer run pickup!!!

9. jhavs

Society Trader

The glassware is pretty sweet too

rightcoast7 and sulldaddy like this.
  10. j44thor

j44thor Initiate (146) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

The best/worst part is they keep everything in storage for you for so long. I honestly don't know how many bottles I have in storage there right now, has to be over 2 cases though. If these were sitting in my beer cellar I might think twice about buying more but it's like they don't currently exist so I obv need more.

11. rightcoast7

Trader

Don’t even know what you guys are talking about, but if anyone has an extra they aren’t buying, please let me know.

12. colby600

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now you know. :slight_smile:

13. rightcoast7

Trader

God damn you Barrel Society why must you torment me?

14. colby600

Society Trader

@rightcoast7 These are not exclusive to society members. I'm sure you'll have a chance when they go public.

sulldaddy and rightcoast7 like this.
  15. rightcoast7

Trader

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up!

16. JuanFushashi

Trader

We're a week in, but for those who've sampled this year's Stay Puft and its variants, any favorites? All are tasting excellent, but I think both my favorite so far, and the one I'm most pleasantly surprised by, is Hot Cocoa. One of the best uses of chocolate in a beer I can remember.

jhavs likes this.
  17. rightcoast7

Trader

Only had regular so far, but that’s about as good of a non-BA stout as I’ve had. The marshmallow builds over time, so my last pour was glorious.

18. rightcoast7

Trader

Yeah I had the hot cocoa last night and have to agree. I’ve never had a beer with more chocolate. At first I almost thought it was too much, but I fell in love with it as I kept drinking it.

JuanFushashi likes this.
  19. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (83) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Finally picked up my stash this weekend. Which was apparently three cases worth(whoops?).

had willet barrel stay puft and it was amazing. Followed by blueberry fritter congdon donut stout the next day. Also amazing. I jumped onto the bottle society because I never had a chance to try their stouts but I’m thoroughly pleased. I think coconut phones might be next this weekend.

20. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (74) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

Picked up today. Having Willet Stay Puft right now. I took a pic and can’t figure out how to attach and stopped caring.

God damn, I love this brewery.

21. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (92) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Picked up last weekend and while I'm only a couple bottles in, I (like others, clearly) couldn't be more pleased. Dark Matter with Barrel Aged Coffee and the Tawny Port Barrel Aged Inner Space were both killer.

22. sulldaddy

Society Trader

its these kinds of posts that make me even more excited for my run to Maine and pick up. I love all these positive reviews of what is waiting for me in the cooler up north!

killamonjaro, dropkick1977 and jhavs like this.
  23. sandsonik

sandsonik Initiate (96) Nov 14, 2015 Rhode Island

1st year Society member. I agree, that one was great. I wasn't sure how I'd like that, as I've never paired PB and banana, but it worked for me. The BBA PB StayPuft too...whoa.

24. dropkick1977

Trader

Crushed a Willet Inner Space last evening. Little bit of barrel heat on it, but I've never minded that with these beers. Otherwise, another excellent stout.

Has anyone cracked the Member's #4 mag yet? I feel like once the covidiots ruin back to school and I have my kids home this fall I'll have to solo dome it out of necessity.

followerofmen likes this.
  25. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (397) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Isn’t it Weller? Either way, I had it a couple of weekends back and thought it was great as well. I also had the mezcal version and while I enjoy mezcal in cocktails, it was a bit much for me.

dropkick1977 likes this.
  26. dropkick1977

Trader

Had to go check the recycling bin. Yeah, my bad. Weller.

MattOC likes this.
  27. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (92) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Not yet, but when I do, I'll report back. Also plan to solo dome it in a single evening and, the way things are these days, it will surely be out of necessity as well.

dropkick1977 likes this.
  28. joberlander

Trader

ughh all these reviews makes me want to go pick up my bottles this weekend. Think i have 20 bottles waiting. Have my last bottle of last years PB stay puft I'd like to try alongside the BA version this year.

infectedlobster likes this.
  29. rightcoast7

Trader

The Weller Inner Space is awesome, but I liked the Port version even better.

colby600 likes this.
  30. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Initiate (85) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I just picked some up today. The process was as easy as ever. They have released some exciting stuff during the quarantine period.

I had just under twenty bottles tucked away. These add up quickly! I have work to do.

joberlander and sulldaddy like this.
  31. rightcoast7

Trader

I went to the taproom for outdoor seating today. Gotta say, it was pretty awesome being back at a brewery for the first time in four months, and the tap list was sick.

32. joberlander

Trader

So I had a friend say that his friend got pulled over (Massachusetts plates) right at the border and was fined $1,000 dollars because apparently Maine isn't accepting visitors without documentation. Anyone who lives in MA here heard or had any problems?

33. seanunreal

seanunreal Initiate (123) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

sounds like a game of telephone

34. colby600

Society Trader

Papers please.
    What type of documentation?

35. sulldaddy

Society Trader

Didnt see anything about $1000 fines here. https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine/keepmainehealthy

but does says visitors must get a test 72 hours prior to visiting or stay in quarantine for 14 days after arrival...Except for people from VT or NH. They have no quarantine requirement per the Maine website due to low infection rates.

36. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (281) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

101 new cases in MA today, a state of 6.9 million.
    37 new cases in ME, as state of 1.3 million.
    I'm doing the math and the rate of infection for ME>MA.
    Unfortunately, cops aren't good at math.

37. JuanFushashi

Trader

The state most be loaded if they’re fining every out of state plate I’ve seen the past month.

38. dropkick1977

Trader

I'm from NH, went up last Sunday to pick up. Didn't have an issue. Didn't even see anything to indicate any sort of stops. Just had the typical highway signage saying out of staters needed to quarantine for fourteen days. You know, the one all the out of staters ignored on their way up to their lake houses for the weekend.

39. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (318) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

If any members need a proxy during this time I've helped a couple people out as I'm about 20 minutes away from the brewery. Feel free to message me. Cheers!

sulldaddy, dropkick1977 and jhavs like this.
  40. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (281) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Residents of NH and VT are not required to quarantine. Residents of other states are.

sulldaddy likes this.