Barrier Brewing Co: Daddy Warbucks & BBHCFM

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Moopband, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moopband

Moopband Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2010 New York

Hey Guys -

Thought I'd let everyone know about this beer. Not sure if it was brewed one time only for One Mile House's 2nd year anniversary but it's essentially a DIPA version of their Money IPA. Had a few last night and it was a really great DIPA coming from a local brewery.

If you're in NYC you should check it out. I had a flight comparing it to Westbrook Citrus Ninja and I thought it was much better.

VonZipper likes this.
  2. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (5,152) Jan 11, 2010 New York

Good to hear. I thought Money was very good; probably the best beer I've had from them so far.

3. Moopband

Yeah - I'm sure the keg being extremely fresh had a lot to do with why it was so great but I was pretty blown away by it.

4. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (9,976) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I had both last night at One Mile House. Loved the Money - a top notch San Diego style IPA. Wasn't as crazy about the Daddy Warbucks as the hop character was not as citrusy and bright.

5. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (337) Jan 8, 2013 New York

both beers suck they aren't from upstate........go.

6. Hirshi

Hirshi Aspirant (246) May 1, 2012 New York

I saw that they were going to pour it at the Barrier takeover (28 lines and 2 casks) at Alewife next Wednesday and was curious. Sounds awesome. I also sort of thought that Submersion (which I had last year from the original batch and recently picked up the 2013 re-issue at the brewery) felt like a Double Money. Excited to try this then!

7. marshmeli

marshmeli Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

The new Submersion is great. Daddy was brewed just for OMH and they bought the whole supply. Barrier will brew again for the brewery and I hear it will be bottled.

8. smo

smo Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

I second this... I stopped in yesterday afternoon and it was fantastic, kudos barrier!

9. Hirshi

In case anyone else was heading out to Alewife this evening (apparently Daddy Warbucks on cask), they just announced this beast:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...05105769.18146.112077138803799&type=1&theater
    [​IMG]

"Need one more reason to come out to Alewife tonight for the Barrier Beer Blowout event..?

Meet Nagasaki! It's been aging for 6 months, it's one-of-a-kind, it's sour as sh*t, and it takes two people to pour it...BOOM!

We're popping the cork at 10pm tonight!" - via their FB

10. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (615) Jan 16, 2013 New York

This just popped up on their FB:

Barrier Brewing Co.
    Alright folks, THIS IS THE BIG WEEK. Lots happening all at once...just in time for the holidays!!!

Beginning tomorrow at 4pm in our tasting room are the releases of our two latest bottles: BBHCFM and Daddy Warbucks!!

BBHCFM is an 11.1% Imperial Black Ale (our strongest beer yet) and Daddy Warbucks is a 9.1% Imperial version of Money IPA. Yep, Imperial Money!!

Also, TOMORROW ONLY we will be serving 10oz DRAFT POURS of Daddy Warbucks for your drinking pleasure. TOMORROW ONLY.

Which brings us to our next big news...Starting tomorrow you can now enjoy glasses of all draft Barrier beers right here in our tap room! All 11 beers each week will be available for you to purchase and enjoy on premise. So pull up a stool (once we get some!) and stay awhile.

And lastly, our new Barrier merch will be available for purchase beginning tomorrow afternoon. Gift cards, two new t-shirts and a brand new zip up hoodie!. Available while supplies last.

Boogie On!

[​IMG]

VonZipper and Hirshi like this.
  11. Moopband

Nice - would love to get my hands on Daddy Warbucks. Wish they distributed and I didn't have to go to the brewery.

12. gregkoko

gregkoko Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2010 New York

Big Black Hoppy Creature From Mars. Damn their Phishy names. Now I have to try it

cosmicevan and Hirshi like this.
  13. marshmeli

Love the Phish-inspired names, I will def be picking up a few bottles of both, I think they are bottling Daddy as we speak.

14. gregkoko

gregkoko Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2010 New York

What else do they have aside from this and Icculus?

15. Hirshi

Had it on cask at that Alewife event last month and will definitely swing by the brewery soon to pick up some bottles.

16. marshmeli

Simple and Bittersweet Pale Ale, while both may be names not for Phish, I am sure the songs titles didn't hurt.

There is also Copernicus, while not a Phish title, Copernicus did "drank from a vessel that stank" in NICU.

Hirshi and gregkoko like this.
  17. marshmeli

God damn, Daddy is tasting fine! They had one more keg at Barrier, so was pouring it tonight (FYI: first day Barrier can now "sell" full pours).

Gabbed some bottles of Daddy and BBHCFM, and for us Phish fans, from the side of the later:
    [​IMG]

18. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (615) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Had DW at the brewery tonight, really impressed with it. Not too far off from Enjoy By which I love. Needs to be a little more complex and aeromatic to be on the level of HT or Hop Venom, but still really good. I hope they make this on a regular basis going forward.

19. Hirshi

Got 3 bottles of Daddy and 3 of BBHCFM on Saturday afternoon. Great vibe in the brewery, very happy to see they are pouring 10oz servings of their beer for $3 or $4 each-- great deal. They still had a Daddy keg going, too, even though it wasn't listed on the board. Delicious.

zid likes this.
  20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

what are their hours? they open tomorrow or have any extended schedule for the holiday? where can one find this info???

21. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (337) Jan 8, 2013 New York

Norm wed-sun..they have a Facebook for the daily details

cosmicevan likes this.
  22. marshmeli

check facebook 1-5p today, then not open until Wed usually (pretty sure they will be closed for christmas though).
    Wed-Fri: 4-8pm
    Sat: 12-7pm
    Sun: 1-5pm

cosmicevan likes this.
  23. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,121) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

I have had a couple of Barrier's beers, DW being one of them. Understand the quality, but not my faves. But the BBHCFM is excellent!

24. Harryrass

Harryrass Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 New York

Is this stuff on the shelves anywhere, or do you have to go to the brewery for a bottle?

25. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,121) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

I got mine at brewery last Saturday. There was a good supply there, not sure ow much they still have, call before you go.

26. Harryrass

Harryrass Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 New York

Thank you. I may make a run out there.

27. VonZipper

VonZipper Devotee (421) Feb 9, 2011 New York
    Trader

Check out Kapow! while you are there. It's an extra pale ale brewed with all Amarillo. It is one of Barrier's best beers yet.

Hirshi likes this.
  28. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (254) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Agree wholeheartedly! I drank while there, got two growlers, and am going back ASAP to get more. IMHO it s a beer that really sets itself apart.

Hirshi and VonZipper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.