Bay Area Trip

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by BeerGuy8315, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerGuy8315

BeerGuy8315 Disciple (325) Apr 29, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

I'm gonna be staying in the Bay Area between Menlo Park and Pablo Alto over Xmas (Dec 22-Jan 2). Heading up to Russian River one day and some wineries in Napa another day. Wondering if there are some other breweries I should visit that are near where I'm staying or those other areas I'm visiting. Also, wondering what the best bottle shop(s) are in that Menlo Park/Palo Alto area to grab local stuff to take home? Thanks in advance!

2. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,178) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

3. BeerGuy8315

BeerGuy8315 Disciple (325) Apr 29, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Appreciate the info. Mainly was wondering the best bottle shop right near downtown Palo Alto/Menlo Park area cause when I'm there I won't be driving much due to family stuff. Might make it up to SF for part of a day and would visit some places that are often mentioned in threads, but not guaranteed. Guess I was also just wondering if there was any special taprooms/pubs I should hit at that time of the year due to special tappings, releases, events, etc.

4. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (285) Feb 13, 2015 California

palo alto fine wine & spirits and k&l wines for bottle shops

fieldwork (san mateo) and alpha acid (belmont) for taprooms

would also recommend ale arsenal and whole foods santa clara taproom

5. thuey

thuey Aspirant (299) Nov 13, 2015 California

Agreed with @beermeplz . The Peninsula/South Bay is not yet a craft beer mecca. Maybe it will be in time, but the options are kinda limited for now.

beermeplz and BeerGuy8315 like this.
  6. Xul

Xul Crusader (798) May 18, 2008 California

Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City has been building out their bottle shop the past couple months and their beer garden has small but well-curated tap lists for both German and craft beer. Highly recommend stopping in.

beermeplz likes this.
  7. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

Make sure you go to Henhouse and Cooperage when you to to RR. Hell, I'd go to Henhouse and Cooperage instead of RR. BeerCraft is also a great spot.

8. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

There are more places on the Peninsula than South Bay. @Xul is correct that GHS is worth stopping in for bottles and draft. I'd also add Willow Market for bottles in Menlo Park and Harry's in RWC for beer. Refuge in Menlo Park has some reasonable options as well and a killer Pastrami sandwich.

If you like English style cask beers, Freewheel in Redwood City is on the Menlo Park side of town and has a nice enough brewpub.

BeerGuy8315 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.