Germany Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by boddhitree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,869) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Clermont-Ferrand is about center of Provence; Google maps tells me it's a 9.5 hour drive -- and that probably doesn't account for "native driving." And since I can see the route, I can tell this trip would probably extend longer than a weekend -- much as Stahl says -- with all the interesting spots in-between.

Then, factor in the Audi S-8 I'll probably be driving and we can probably cut that time in half. :grinning:

2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

The Autobahn is your friend! :grinning:

3. steveh

Unfortunately, the only time I ever got to drive the Autobahn in the past I was in a cracker-box Opel -- with a bad clutch! I'm ready now! :grinning:

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  4. Gutes_Bier

My first time driving on the Autobahn was in a (rented) Ford minivan with two kids under 21 months old. Second time was in a (rented) BMW wagon with one child. I wasn't doing anything crazy either time but it was great driving nevertheless.

steveh likes this.
  5. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany

I don't know what map you're looking at but I can assure you that both places are on the same continent yet rather far apart and that natives of either place would likely tarr and feather you for such a crude statement.

6. Stahlsturm

Actually French Autoroutes are much better. Since they are tolled there's hardly any traffic on them and you can easily drive 180 without worries. And there's no cops speedtrapping (they are busy with all the traffic on the Routes Nationales) and pictures from stationary cameras you can safely ignore as a tourist.
    The same does not go for Germany (well, you can ignore the pics as well if you're living in the US) and you will be hard pressed getting even a remotely good average speed compared to France.

7. Stahlsturm

Ask Dave (beerman9) how driving on the Autobahn with a native feels :grinning: I think he still get's white knuckles and night terrors from that experience, hahahaha.

Bierman9 and Gutes_Bier like this.
  8. steveh

Yeah, I was scanned too far in on Google Maps, but again...

...the differences in definition of "far apart" here in the U.S. and there in Europe. :wink:

You mean like the waiter in Strasbourg who brought me the wrong beer from what I'd asked, acted like a jerk when I pointed it out, and got royally dressed down? Yeah, those natives frighten the dickens out of me. :grinning:

9. Stahlsturm

Yeah... Space View, right ? :stuck_out_tongue:

True. The distance of an average daily commute in the US likely places you in a different country here in Europe. Still, when in Rome...

You are confusing matters of business (aka ripping off tourists) with matters of national pride.

10. steveh

Opposite, I zoomed so far in that I lost borders... that's sort of profound, isn't it? :wink:

Hell, a different state here seems like a different country! :grinning:

Ah -- I see. Still not frightened.

(*is that like the bar-tender in Würzburg who tried to short-change me and couldn't wipe the sheepish look off his face when I called him on it? :astonished: Talk about borders making no real difference on humanity.)

11. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (178) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Insert old joke: Europeans think 200 miles is a long drive, Americans think 200 years is a long time.

Stahlsturm and steveh like this.
  12. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Now that y'all have had your fun, I get to have mine. One of the last 2 beers from STAHLSTURM's STASH, both of which are from Prösselbräu Adlersberg. The first one up is the Bayerisch Dunkel.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From their website:
    Above it states:

Bunch of marketing-speak, but you got the idea. It's also a Brauereigasthof, or brewery-inn and hotel. Looks nice but in the Qype (Yelp in Europe)reviews, it got lots of low ratings, mostly for terrible service and horrible food, it seems,... but no one complained about the beer.

Now the beer. Yes, as they say, it's dark, chestnut brown with hints of orange under a vanilla-white head. The aroma is almost all malts, toasted, roasted malts and Vienna or Münchener malts, too, and virtually almost no hop aroma. I like the full mouthfeel, thick; it rolls over the tongue slowly. In the front you get a small hint of tartness and on the sides a hint of bitterness. The aftertaste, however, is where you taste that THIS a Märzen. In the back you get full-on malty sweetness, which is strong but not too intense, as they mentioned above. It's roasted and toasty in a typical Bayerische Märzen, so nothing unique here. Nonetheless, it's a very süffiges Bier, making it easy to drink and a joy to swirl around the mouth. It's a great beer but not WOW, almost the standard of what I'd use if someone wanted me to define a Märzen. It's not really better or worse than the other Märzen I've tried from Regensburg, but it may be the best balanced and easiest to drink. Personally, I would've like a tad more hops in it.

As an aside, I'd love to taste some Mandarina or other hops that have a grapefruit flavor mixed in with this beer. I bet they the sweet maltiness would complement those hops wonderfully. I don't brew with Lager yeast, but I can imagine brewing a beer like that. Do you agree?

13. Stahlsturm

I have no idea where the complaints about the food come from. I've been eating there for 25 years and the food always was very good. The service however has gone down considerably over the past few years, I can attest to that. The serving wenches there are extremely unsightly, inflexible and uncooperative. It's bad to the point where my wife and I actually got up and left again after having been ignored by several waitresses for 30 minutes, just because we dared take a bench outside the area they felt comfortable walking out to. *shrugs*
    We actually had our wedding celebration in there 10 years ago so it pains me to write such a comment but it IS true :(

14. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Is it a Maerzen or a Dunkel? I looked online (and read your quotes from the bottle), and all signs seem to point to the latter.

15. Stahlsturm

It's a Dunkel and an extremely yummy one at that. Prösselbräu doesn't brew a specific Märzen.

herrburgess likes this.
  16. steveh

I don't know, whenever I've had full-bodied, dark-roasted malt beer that used highly fruity hops I've never enjoyed it myself. Even the likes of Sierra Nevada's Celebration, let alone their Stout and Porter, quickly fatigues my palate more from hop character than malts or alcohol. The grapefruit character in hops just seems to mix better with lighter (color and body) malts to me. JMO.

herrburgess likes this.
  17. boddhitree

It tasted like a Märzen. It was darker than most Märzen, so it's a dunkles Märzen. Period. Full stop. Or maybe not.

18. steveh

Heh, Bodd invents the latest style craze... if only it was citrus hopped! :wink:

Seriously, though -- I can see finding big similarities in Dunkel and the traditional Amber Märzen, but I always find a Dunkel to have more body and bolder in malt character compared to the soft, sort of elegant character in a good Märzen.

19. boddhitree

This is the last of STAHLSTURM's STASH, the Palmator Dunkler Doppelbock from Prösselbräu Adlersberg.
    [​IMG]
    Thought you might like this video about the Palmator Bockbieranstich.

Yep, the color is pitch black... ain't no light gettin' through this puppy... under a tan head with large light bubbles that last longer than I wished... shouldn't have made such a strong pour. ABV = 7.4%

The aroma has plums, dates, sweet caramel, as if they were cooked all into a sauce! This smells almost like a Belgium trippel. Let's see if the flavor matches the wonderful aroma. The front has a decent amount of tartness and the sides give you some of the same flavor or plums, dates and sweet carmel, but also a little bitterness, not much, but it's noticeable if you try to find it. Then in the back it's sweet caramels but in a burnt, molasses kind of way. Yes, it's like motor oil, not as thick and chewy as Pax's Lakritz Oatmeal Stout, but the chewiest German brew I've had other than that. I love how it sits on the tongue and glides over it, going from tart, to plum/dates sweet to burnt, roasted flavors that I usually associate with sweet Stout. It still tastes like German malts, though, and doesn't feel like a British brew, yet it has some of the same quality without the esters and fruitiness of a London Ale yeast. I'm not sure that make sense, does it? The aftertaste is that same plum/dates/caramel mix flavor with Vienna or Münchener malt flavor thrown in as a teaser, just at the end. The only real drawback I feel is that you can taste the hotness of the alcohol. Being filtered and sitting in my cellar for 2 months should have helped that dissipate, but it's only something I noticed on the first few sips, after which it disappeared.

Overall, this is close to a WOW beer. Except for the hotness of the alcohol you can taste, it's a great beer.

20. steveh

Just have to jump in, as a graphic designer with a love of old-fashioned look & feel (see my avatar), I really love the nostalgic character of the Prösslbräu trademark. Anyone know if this is something they've carried over from the 20s or 30s?

21. boddhitree

I agree. That's why I posted it.

22. Stahlsturm

The colour combo of red, black and white does invoke certain moments of Germany's not so recent past, does it ? :grinning: I've had many a visitor comment on that already. Personally, I don't know since when they are using this logo but I've been there first in the early 70s with my parents and I don't recall the logo ever changing. They've got display cases full of ancient mugs in the hallway of their restaurant and even the really old looking ones (no dates though...) have the same logo.

23. steveh

Those colors have been around and in use in solid graphics for a lot longer than the recent past, as were certain runic graphic elements. If nothing else, this just adds to the proof that said governing body were underhanded crooks (among other things).

Also to note in color choices: http://www.siebensbrewing.com/history.htm

This is a little better:
    [​IMG]

It evokes the days of advertising graphics by Lucian Bernhard and Hans Erdt -- when simplicity was everything and terribly elegant -- at least to my eye. I'll have to see if I can dig up some history on the Prösslbräu logo... or maybe you can stroll down and ask at the office? :relaxed:

24. boddhitree

I agree with you. However, don't forget all the Bundesliga teams with black/red/white: Eintracht Frankfurt, SC Freiburg, Bayer Leverkusen, 1. FC Nürnburg, and that's just in the 1st division. The colors are not the problem; rather, it's the symbolism of images used in conjunction with them. However, the logo does look like it hasn't been updated since the pre-war, though, which is a good thing.

25. Gutes_Bier

Fan of the logo as well. That eagle looks like I do after I read some of those "lager is m'eh" posts.

26. boddhitree

Now that all of the Regensburg beers are out of the way, I can get to my own beer to review, which I'd been holding back on until I finished the beers Stahlsturm gave me.

The only one's I have on hand is from Pax Bräu, their Märzen, mainly to compare Andreas Seufert's version to all the others I'd tried before. Surprisingly, there are already 2 reviews of Rate Beer. His official website has been neglected for months, but to keep up with him, here's his Facebook page so you can like and follow him.

[​IMG]

I love the image here on the label.

The beer is cloudy, & the bottom of the bottle has yeast deposits, so... bottle conditioning and it also means it's unfiltered and got live yeast down there. Its color is burnt orange with some brown in it.

The aroma is typical Märzen - lots of sweet Münchener or Vienna malts with some... wait for it... Rauchmalz (smoked malt) and a hint of lemon underlying the aroma.

The flavor is... mmmm... at first typical Märzen with lots of sweet malts of Münchener variety, but then you taste what I think now is Pax's signature, a small but noticeable Rauchmalz. In the front is a hint of lemon, and middle you get roasted/toasted malts and smoke, and in the back, a light sourness again the sweetness of München malts.
    Ok, it's NOT as great as his other beers, but it's still a WOW beer. The more I drink, the more I get lemony flavors. Typical Märzen flavors dominate, but filtered through a light smoke and some lemony/citrusy flavors from the hops.

Altogether, a wonderful mix of flavors, again, kinda like a cocktail. You still know it's a Märzen, but this is more wonderful. Yes, it's head and shoulders above all the Märzens I've had before. Damn... too bad the 2 liters are now gone and I'll have to wait until next year to get some more.

27. Gutes_Bier

Great reviews, Boddhitree, I'm sorry you're at the end of the stash. I hope you continue to find (and report on) awesome and exciting German brews being made. This thread is a valuable resource to those of us living over here!

28. boddhitree

Thanks, I have one more Pax Bräu, then I might have to order more. I hope others realize how much effort and time I take to do these, as well as doing the online research, too. So... can I beg for MANY more LIKES? :rolling_eyes:

herrburgess and Gutes_Bier like this.
  29. Gutes_Bier

I can only give you one at a time, but I always enjoy the heck out of your reviews!

30. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

I was about to "like" your post, until you said the Pax Brau is "head and shoulders above all the Märzens I've had before." If you amend to say this doesn't include Schlenkerla, I will like every post of yours now and in future. :wink:

31. boddhitree

Never had Schlenkerla's Märzen, only their Rauchbier, so today, I still stand by what I said, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try it.

Do you think Schlenkerla's Märzen is like how I described Pax's?

herrburgess likes this.
  32. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Schlenkerla's Maerzen is the beer you get after you finish the 3rd Rauchbier in a sitting. :wink:

33. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Isn't Schlenkerla's Märzen their standard Rauchbier?

34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,782) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I personally have only had the Schlenkerla Marzen but they make other Rauchbiers beyond that beer. Below is a list via BA. I have no idea which of these is considered as “standard”.

Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier Rauchbier 5.50 4.27 132
    Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Rauchbier 5.40 4.04 1250
    Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Rauchbier 6.60 4.13 784
    Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen Rauchbier 5.20 3.9 466

Cheers!

35. Stahlsturm

I apologize for saddling with such tedious a chore :flushed:

boddhitree likes this.
  36. TreinJan

TreinJan Initiate (135) Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

Schlenkerla's Märzen is the standard beer.

37. boddhitree

Today I present you Pax Bräu's February offering from the Bier Calender Edition: Fasenöchter Doppelbock Hell.
    Fasenöchter is dialect (don't ask me which one) for Fasnacht, another name for Fasching or Carnival or Mardi Gras.

First, you gotta love the artwork by a comic artist on the label.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And a close up below of the ingredients listed on the bottle. How many kinds of hops can you count? Wow?
    [​IMG]

The color is amber with bright orange tints, slightly hazy from being unfiltered and bottle conditioned, under a bright dirty-white head, though that dissipated quickly.

The aroma is a heady mix of citrus and sweet München or Vienna malts, which I hope will be matched by it's flavor.
    This is a 8.5% but you wouldn't know it from tasting it. The alcohol is so well hidden, at first I thought I was drinking a lower, say 5%, alcohol beer. The mouthfeel is thick like a normal Märzen.

The initial thing when you take your first sip is smoked malt. It's up front on the tongue and stays smokey all the way down towards the throat. The front of the tongue has a light tartness and bitterness at first mixed with a touch of malts, then the middle you get lots of smoke, not overpowering but enough to assert itself. Here's also where you get some strong bitterness from the hops, not super bitter but also discernible. The middle of the tongue also registers high amounts of München or Vienna malts, giving this beer more a push flavor-wise in the direction of a Märzen rather than a Bockbier. In fact, without the label telling me it was a Bock, I would've put in the Märzen neighborhood. The aftertaste is sweetened lemons and sweet München malts, both flavors that linger in maltiness like the reverberation of a bell. Again, this beer is like a cocktail, or maybe like hearing a chord played on a guitar, many different flavor notes all blending easily into one wallop of taste. After a few long sips, I begin to notice the alcohol as a small sherry-like feeling towards the back of the mouth. I guess that's the Bock part of this beer, and... after half a liter of it, I can feel the kick of the alcohol swimming in my head.

Overall, WOW, although it does seem quite similar to Pax's Märzen, just all the flavors are "Bocked" up, more intense. This beer is a souped up Märzen-IPA-Doppelbock concoction where all those flavors mix wonderfully. It's incredibly süffig and I would sip this for hours in bliss if I could lay my hands on more of it.

In a few days, I should be receiving the next beer on the Bier Kalender: a Maibock!

38. boddhitree

Another month, another beer from Pax Bräu's Bier Abonnement. Since this is May in the Bierkalender Edition, it's natural that this is Maibock. Again, I like the label and the pics of hops, a goat, a church (maybe for the plethora of Catholic national holidays in Germany in May?) and beer are all images that soothe the beer lovers soul.
    [​IMG]
    The color of the beer is almost orange with hints of brown and yellow, under a vanilla, dirty white head that dissipates quickly. There's a cloudiness to the beer and also yeast deposits on the bottom of the bottle, so it's also bottle conditioned, unfiltered and fresh as can be. Finally, the ABV = 6.6%.

The initial aroma is almost all Rauchmalz (smoked malt) and some sweet notes of Münchner malts. If there are any hop aromas, it's hard to find them from that powerful smokiness overpowers them, yet there must be some hop aroma, because I get something else other than smoke and malts, but I can't put my finger on it. It's thick and lovely going over the tongue...mmm...it blankets the mouth.

The first flavor you get is Rauchmalz. The second flavor you get is Rauchmalz, but it's not overpowering. In the front, you get a little smoke, then a little sweetness, but a lot of hop bitterness, which is definitely a Noble hop, maybe Hallertauer. In the middle, you get more smokiness, yet not so much in a bacon-way; rather, in the middle, I'm getting a Rauch flavor that borders more on the blackened in Cajun Blackened Chicken.

Here's a pic to fire your imagination:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, it tastes like umami, the black, semi-charred meat on the bottom of the frying pan, which is savory and here süffig. In the middle you also get a some slight bitterness, too. In the back, you get more bacon flavors mixed in with sweet Münchner maltiness. The aftertaste is sweet malts with bacon-smokiness and again a little bitterness.

Overall, this is like drinking a "blackened" Rauchbier/Märzen with a kick of alcohol. It's easy to forget it's 6.6%, you don't notice the alcohol until you've had 1/2 a liter, and then you're feeling fine!) I've mentioned before that I'm not a Rauchbier fan, per se, but I like this beer. However, of all of Pax's offerings, this may be my least favorite, and that's because it leans almost too heavily in the Rauchbier direction. I still really like how the sweet maltiness and blackened flavors mix with smoke and Noble hop bitterness, so it's still a wonderful beer; however, this seems the most conventional of all the beers I've had from Pax, and though it's maybe the best Rauchbier I've had, it's NOT WOW. Nevertheless, the quality is outstanding. What makes this still a great beer is it's still so süffig despite the smoke.

39. Gutes_Bier

Is smoked malt a direction he goes with a lot of his beers? You seem to include smoke as a descriptor in many of your Pax Bräu reviews. Are his "regular" offerings smoked as well, or is this a trend I am imagining?

For the record I love Rauchbier.

40. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Not sure how they're perceived in Germany, but I really like those Pax labels.

boddhitree and JackHorzempa like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.