Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Germany Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by boddhitree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Göller's Rauchbier was very good, I thought, if you can find that.

Stahlsturm likes this.
  2. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

Yep, totally !!!!

3. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

And please skip the "n" at the end. The correct singular term is "Wiese", in fact there is only one Theresienwiese, right? ;)

4. danfue

Yes, I had it already. That one was very good. I also had their somewhat strange Darkcherry, that was the only letdown from their offerings.

5. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Not according to the "official app." Not to mention the map on the right or the page...

(and no apostrophe either ;))

danfue likes this.
  6. danfue

With reference to the very lively Wies'n/Oktoberfest-discussion in the other thread: it's Festbier-season!
    Here's what I had recently.

St. Georgen Bräu Annafest Bier
    [​IMG]
    I just googled the Annafest. Apparently it's a huge Volksfest in Forchheim, not far from Buttenheim.
    Well, as everything else I tasted from this great brewery, this one was not disappointing either. Deeply golden, somewhat amber color, very bready and heavily malty. Slightly sweet. A bit of a strong, very intense but quite mellow mouthfeel. Really good.

Krug-Bräu Festbier
    [​IMG]
    I've had this one before, some time in winter. So either that one was a leftover from last year or it is available year round. Anyway, they changed the frame color of the label since last time, and not for the better as you can see. It used to be brown before. I wonder who came up with the idea of making it pink and everybody going "yeah!"
    This is definitely not a beer in the typical Festbier/Märzen-region, but a straight forward Dunkles. Nice roasty aromas, including some sweetish caramel malt. Almost no hops. Very good carbonation, i.e., it is quite moderately natural. Not the typical Festbier, but if a Festbier is a Dunkles in Breitenlesau, then so be it.

7. steveh

I'm liking that post just for the pictures! :)

8. spartan1979

spartan1979 Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Odd angle on the head in those pics!

9. steveh

It's his camera's lens. Look at the bottom of the glasses and you get the same vortex. Hitchcockian -- :D

10. steveh

Was speaking with Ron Pattinson and he was at the fest this year. Paint me green with envy.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  11. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bamberg's Sandkerwa -- biggest Fest all year with lots of regional breweries setting up throughout the city...including along the riverwalk -- started today.

[​IMG]

12. danfue

It's on the top of the washing machine in our kitchen. So I always have to bend down more or less to make the pictures. Sometimes they may be from somewhat above, sometimes from straight ahead. So indeed, the angle may vary. Also, it's only my cell phone's cam, not a proper camera. I notice that taking pictures during daytime is much easier than when the light is turned on in the room and it's dark outside. It always takes a lot of time then for the camera to sharpen the view, so that at least most of the writing on the labels is readable.

13. danfue

I'm having this right now as my Betthupferl, will be going to sleep soon. I caught this at a local butcher's today. The Original Metzgerbier (Butcher's Beer) by Alpirsbacher. It must be a licensed brew. I had this one about three or four years ago already, but back then it was brewed by Allgäuer Brauhaus in Kempten, the ones who (among other brands) also brew the Altenmünster beers. And it doesn't get a mention on the Alpirsbacher website.

[​IMG]
    I would describe it more as an Export than a Helles. It may be somewhere in between, but I think that's typical for southern German attempts at Export. Which sometimes also goes for a Spezial. They don't bother with that, but with nice sayings. On the left and right of the bull's head it says Eher soll die Welt verderben, als vor Durst ein Metzger sterben. A rhyme, meaning about "the world shall sooner go to waste than a butcher may die".
    It's a normal, southern German Export to me. Pretty süffig, as this sort is supposed to be. Malty, a bit sweetish, quite refreshing, very little hops. Nothing special, but it's alright.

14. herrburgess

Beer Trader

"the world shall sooner go to waste than a butcher die of thirst" (forgot that part I suspect).

Stahlsturm, danfue and Gutes_Bier like this.
  15. danfue

And another one from some days ago. Fancy bottle, eh?! Try to get this one into one of those machines!
    This is from the Mannheim/Heidelberg region, so clearly not Bayern. But since we already had a few beers in this thread here that were not from Bayern, even including Flensburger lately. Maybe we need a Non-Bavarian beers bought and drunk-thread.

[​IMG]

This Pils has a kind of floral and intense smell. Unfortunately, the foam was gone within seconds. It begins with a lot of Pilsner malts and a somewhat fruity, sweetish aroma. Followed by good and well conceivable hops, but overall it could be a tad bit more bitter. Still, a good Pils.
    @mjtierney2: You're from Heidelberg, right? Is this widely available in this region?

boddhitree likes this.
  16. danfue

Right, that would be the perfect translation! Forgot about the thirst thing indeed.

17. Stahlsturm

I think this one works just fine :) Plus, there's lot's of beers from Franken here and though they politically are part of Bayern one should never make the mistake of calling them "Bayern" to their face.

steveh and Gutes_Bier like this.
  18. Gutes_Bier

Yes (well, not from HD, but living here now), and yes, Welde is widely available here. It's one of our local "Big 3" with Heidelberger and Eichbaum being the others. To be honest I've never really given Welde a fair shake, save for their Jahrgangsbier and their hefe-weizen. I think I've been conditioned to avoid beers that have "vortex bottles", use sexy-lady print ads, and have a gimmicky cap (did you notice the "Ja" or "Nein" underneath your bottle cap? You are supposed to ask yourself a Yes or No question before opening and then pull the cap and see what your beer thinks. I guess "Vielleicht" couldn't fit). Anyway it's funny how much I avoid the local beers in general. I've never had Eichbaum and generally don't drink Heidelberger unless it's the only thing on the menu (which is sometimes the case).

19. Stahlsturm

Shows again just how friggin' little this has to do with Bayern anymore. Of course the economical refugees from Rump-Germany have no clue how to spell proper Bayrisch.

20. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Eichbaum used to make a Rauchweizen. Doubt it exists any longer.

21. seanyfo

seanyfo Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Next review takes us to the Hofbrauhaus! Although we have to go slightly north to Freising

Huber Weisses Original

Appearance - Not much difference to the Andechs, burnt orange cloudy body but this retains its head much better with better lacing.

Aroma - Lots of cereal grains. I feel like I've opened a box of Rice Krispies and taken a deep breath. Faint banana in the background

Taste - Banana sweetness upfront transcending to a biscuity malt quality before the lively carbonated clean finish. Cereal grain note lingering on.

Mouthfeel - is spot on. Refreshing level of carbonation while retaining excellent body.

Not had a weissbier with such a cereal grain quality before but I really liked it! Nice interplay of flavours with a truly refreshing feel, more please!

[​IMG]

22. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

I'm proud of myself and doing a happy dance for ordering this online from Biershop-Bayern yesterday:
    Maxbrauerei "Bier des Monats" (Hazelnuss [hazelnut] Porter)- 9 Flaschen 19,90 €
    Camba IPA 0,33 ltr - 1 Flasche 2,70 €
    Camba Pale Ale 0,33 ltr - 1 Flasche 2,60 € [from the "Camba Mixpaket"]
    Camba Pils 0,33 ltr - 1 Flasche 2,10 €
    Camba Nelson Weiße - 1 Flasche 2,60 €
    Camba Stout - 1 Flasche 2,60 €
    Camba Kellerbier Dunkel - 1 Flasche 2,50 €
    Camba Lager Hell - 1 Flasche 2,40 €
    Camba Märzen - 1 Flasche 2,50 €
    Camba Jager Weisse - 1 Flasche 2,60 €
    [unfortunately, many of the beer I wanted are sold out (Ausverkauft).]

Zwischensumme (sub-total) 42,50 €​
    Versandkosten (shipping) 5,90 €​
    Netto-Rechnungsbetrag (net bill) 40,67 €​
    19% Mehrwertsteuer (19% VAT) 7,73 €​
    [this isn't added on top of the sub-total, rather is stated here by law to clarify what part of the sub-total consists of tax.]​
    Gesamtbetrag (total) 48,40 €​

So 48.8 € divided by 18 bottles = 2.71€ per bottle. This also includes the 8 cent deposit on the bottles, which to me is moot because I keep the bottles for my homebrew if they're plop-tops.

herrburgess and Gutes_Bier like this.
  23. Gutes_Bier

Looking forward to the report! Are the beers from Nelson Weiße through Jager Weisse all 0,50 ltr or are they all 0,33 bottles? The one I'm looking forward to hearing about the most is the Kellerbier.

24. boddhitree

[​IMG]
    Taken from Biershop Bayern's "Fotowettbewerb" or Photo competition... says "Beer instead of food :) 2.90 €."

[​IMG]
    Here we have the 3 most important exports from Bayern: Bier, boobs and Berge (mt.s).

[​IMG]
    Only comment I have is why Hacker Pschorr?

[​IMG]
    I'm conflicted as to if I should be embarrassed for liking this one.

[​IMG]
    mmmm, the weird thing is, we have the EXACT same rocking chair I inherited from my Oma!!!!

[​IMG]
    Who doesn't love a view like this... valleys, beer glass and water. ;)

[​IMG]
    Which pic is sexier? This one?

[​IMG]
    Or this one with hops being fondled?

herrburgess likes this.
  25. Gutes_Bier

If you include the sign it's even funnier..."Today we recommend beer instead of food :) €2,90"

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

But you could have bought a case (20 bottles of 0.5L) of Monchshof for 11€!?!:confused:

http://www.orterer.de/orterer/angebote.php

Prost!

27. boddhitree

I can buy that stuff in my local REWE and save shipping costs. I can't fathom why one in Germany would order that online.

28. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Their Schwarzbier is still very good IMO. Not a fan, I assume?

29. boddhitree

I like their Landbier and Dunkeles, but not to order online.

herrburgess likes this.
  30. JackHorzempa

I suppose I need to do work on my presentation of jokes/irony. I was just jokingly (but failed) to state that beer can be purchased in Germany for 11€ per case at local stores. It was a poor commentary based upon a recent post by Einhorn:http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...ing-among-german-brewers.110450/#post-1630603

Feel free to just ignore my poor commentary.:(

Prost!

31. herrburgess

Beer Trader

The reason your joke/commentary doesn't work is because Monchshof is a great beer (despite the buyout). In fact, Michael Jackson rated their Schwarzbier a world classic.

32. Gutes_Bier

I got it, Jack.

For the record, I like Monchshof's Kellerbier and Ur-typ Schwarz (which I presume is the beer that Herr Burgess is referring to). I've had their Landbier and Helles as well. I think I liked them both also, and I was surprised earlier when I saw they were a conglomerate type. Then again, my favorite Helles from Munich is Spaten, so what do I know.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. JackHorzempa

“ …so what do I know” You know what you like!

I like baseball, beer and hot dogs. I am off to see the Phillies, drink some Victory Lager (Helles) and Sly Fox Pikeland Pils (Northern German style Pilsner), eat some peanuts & a hot dog. And hopefully watch the Phillies win.

Oh, and then drink some Victory Altbiers at the Victory Beer Hall while playing bean bag horseshoes afterwards.

It doesn’t get any better than that!?! Wait, maybe it will get better; maybe Victory will have a Braumeister Pils on tap. 50 odd IBUs (plus more hop flavor/aroma) Woo-Hoo! I am salivating just thinking about it!:)

Prost!

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  34. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Any of you ever hear of, or been to, Liebick-Getränke? It is in the nearby Munich suburb of Germering. I contacted PaxBrau about their stuff, and they said this place had theirs and was near to Munich. Check out their drink list: http://www.bier-point.de/sortimentsliste.pdf Seems quite nice.... Besides PaxBrau, any recommendations from that list?

Prosit!!

35. boddhitree

That's one helluva list this Getränkemarkt has! For German beers, it's even better than Mahruns, maybe. Next time someone asks which Getränkemarkt to go to in München, Liebick Getränke is obviously the place to go.

Also… Did you email Andreas Seufert as Pax Bräu and he answered you directly? That's cool.

36. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

My email to Pax Bräu was replied to by someone named Silke... They seem very accomodating... Will try to get to Liebick during my Munich visit...

Prosit!

37. Gutes_Bier

That was some list. Give Faust a try. I really enjoyed their Schwarzvietler, and Boddhitree has spoken positively about CAMBA Bavaria's stuff as well. I'll need to remember that place.

38. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Am I the only one who has basically zero interest in bottle shops with exhaustively (and exhaustingly) long lists? If I am in Munich -- whether for a short vacation or a long-term stay -- I will be drinking the regulars (i.e. for lagers, those on Bayerischer Anstich: Augustiner, Pschorr, Ayinger; for Weizen, locals like Schneider, Weihenstephan, Ayinger, etc.) 99% of the time. Similarly, when I lived in Bamberg I rarely set foot in Cafe Abseits, preferring instead to go to my standbys (Schlenkerla, Greifenklau, Klosterbrau, Spezial, and Mahr's...and occasionally Keesmann and Faessla). If I wanted variety I'd hop on my bike and hit some places nearby. If I wanted even more I'd spend a day in the country and stop in at a few places for their beers. If I wanted international variety, I'd plan a cheap trip to Belgium, the Czech Republic, the UK, or back home to the U.S. (note: in none of those places did I ever search out or visit a bottle shop). Can I really be the only one here who finds such an approach preferable -- and as an overall experience, wholly superior -- to standing in a bottle shop picking out beers I can take home to my apartment/house to drink? FWIW, I also have zero interest in "tastings"/bottle shares. Maybe I am just the odd man out on here....

steveh, spartan1979 and grantcty like this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Wow! Lots of great beers listed. I took note of the following breweries: Andechser, St. Georgen, Paxbrau, Keesmann, Faust, Waldhaus, Rothaus, Plank, and on and on.

The beer of Tettnanger – KellerPils caught my eye.

Prost!

40. Gutes_Bier

Ha, I'd like to consider you as the Odd Man In, but there's a lot of competition for that title....;)
    I imagine you hate living in America, what with all that consumer choice and all. I wonder how you'd feel if you lived in HD instead of Bamberg all those years. Also, personally speaking, I have a 2 year old at home (and no bike, but that's another issue) and so my bar traipsing days are vorbei for the most part. So, yes, I would prefer to go to a bottle shop with a selection. My bottle shop - no, check that, everywhere near me that retails beer breaks down roughly this way: 33% local Fernsehbier, 33% National Fernsehbier, 33% Specialty and Other, the last category of which basically constitutes the entirety of beers I'd like to drink more than once, with some exceptions. Having a place with a large selection of small(-ish?) Franconian and Bavarian breweries would keep me happy indeed.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe