Germany Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by boddhitree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (190) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    Bought this sixpack of Bavarian beers from the monopoly. It contains a Dunkel from Schlappeseppel, one pilsner from Reuther, one Schwarzbier from Oechsner, one Festbier from Irlbacher, one Doppelbock from Karmeliten and one Kellerbier from Müllerbräu. A fun concept in my opinion. I'm starting off with the pilsner and it's really tasty, it has a fresh taste of hops that reminds me of some Swedish microbrewed pilsners and lager beers (that use German hops rather than American hops). A light malty sweetness along with the hoppiness and a good bitterness, though it's not as bitter as say Jever, my guess is that it's slightly below 30IBUs. The best before date of five of the beers apart from the Doppelbock is set to September 15 2014, so the freshness is quite good with these.

[​IMG]

seanyfo, einhorn, herrburgess and 3 others like this.
  2. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (190) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    The Kellerbier of the bunch, Müllerbräu Festus. The taste is predominantly yeasty with sweetness and a good balancing bitterness. The aftertaste is nicely bready and very satisfying. The yeastiness reminds me of a Hefeweizen, which isn't my favorite style, but here the bitterness, which has to be around 25 IBUs at least, meets up and balances the yeastiness nicely.

3. seanyfo

seanyfo Meyvn (1,020) Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

My third bier from the Dampfbierbrauerei Zwiesel

Hefe-Weissbier 5.3% abv

[​IMG]

Appearance - Cloudy medium amber body with a creamy head that sustains itself for a minute or so then falls flat on its face. Poor lacing also.

Aroma - Cereal grain quality, i get a nostalgic scent of Rice Krispies in amongst a sweet banana note.

Taste - Um, its pretty bland stuff to my palate. Picking up a wheaty grain note but no obvious fruity notes/other esters. I thought i could detect a bit of marzipan from the first few sips but this faded away. Finish is a bit greasy/clumsy.

Mouthfeel - A lively carbonation without being overbearing, solid body but it has greasy quality which lingers on, similar to how i find Erdinger to be.

Overall, its pretty middle of the road non descript stuff. Not one I'd pick up again. Wish i had another bottle of Gutmann now!

Prost!

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  4. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

It's been quite a while since I've had one of these beauties, and of course never in the California sun. I could probably drink 5-6 with no problem (hence hefeweizens being the best session style in the world - my humble opinion), this is a great brew on all levels. It might even cure diseases.

If you see it, pick one up without hesitation.

Doppelbock on deck.

[​IMG]

5. seanyfo

Tonight's offering to the Bayern biergods is Brauerei Göller's Kellerbier, abv 4.9%

[​IMG]

Appearance - Cloudy amber body with a thick rocky head following an aggressive pour. Excellent retention and lacing.

Aroma - Not a lot of nose, touch of toasted malts, bit of apple zestiness, quite subdued.

Taste - Different story on the palate. Lots of toasted malt character up front with fruitier notes coming through, apple being the main one, touch of toffee toasted malts lingering on strongly in the clean finish. Was surprised by the abv being only 4.9%, the depth of malt character/strength would have had me thinking it was more of a bock level.

Mouthfeel - Solid body with a medium/low carbonation, just enough to be refreshing.

Overall a great bier. Not much in the aroma, but the flavour profile more than makes up for it! Definitely one to pick up

Prost!

6. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Now that's a fine looking Franconian Kellerbier! Prost!

7. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

I've been AWOL these past few weeks in reviewing Bayernbiere. From Biershop Bayern, I got a case of 9, a Mix-Paket of Brauerei Schönramer.
    [​IMG]
    Why them? They're a traditional Bayern brewery from Petting/Schönram, but they have a very interesting line-up.
    First, they've won some nifty prizes: Gold in the World Beer Cup for the Schönramer Gold, a beer I'll review in the near future. They've won Gold in the Euro Beer Star for their Pils (2009, then silver in 2010 and bronze in 2011, and then silver in 2012 Beer World Cup) and Hell (2011). In addition, they make an Altbayrisch Dunkel, Pale Ale, IPA and Imperial Stout I really want to try. All of which you'll read about here in forthcoming reviews. :) For some reason, their homepage doesn't list any of the non-German styles. Strange. Luckily, all of them are for sale in Biershop Bayern. The only ones that were out of stock in the online shop was their Grünhopfen (green hops) Pils and Saphir Bock. Maybe I'll get it them winter if they rebrew them.

Today I drank 2 with Timosen while brewing a Beer at his apartment that will be interesting. He used 40% Weinermalz, 40% Pilsmalz, and 5% Münchnermalz, but using an ale yeast.

The first was the Bayrisch Pale Ale.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I had to take 2 pics to get the entire label, for the bottle is only 0.3L, which at 2.20€ per bottle, which for Germany isn't cheap, but for American craft beer, about for about 12 oz.

Here's the original picture, from which the label came from (source, Schönramen's website):
    [​IMG]

Aroma: mandarin, a slight citrus note, but other than that, nothing.
    Flavor:
    Up front - a bite of bitterness, but not too much, citrus flavor and some noble hop flavor.
    Middle – Pils or pale male flavors with a little sourness.
    End - some grapefruit, mandarine, sour citrus and some malts, not exactly pale but not pils malt either, somewhere in the middle. I'm guessing the “bayrisch” in the name comes either from the pils malts or from Mandarina Bavaria hops, or both.

They only list mandarina hops as an ingredient, but it's kind of a mix of a malty pils/pale malt with citrusy flavors. The citrus isn't like an IPA, rather it's more bitter and has the mouthfeel of a typical Bavarian Helles, quite thick and gemütlich. Basically, it's a cross between a pale ale with pils mouthfeel and hints in the flavor with a slightly sour and mandarine/grapefruit aftertaste. Not bad, not wow, but pretty damn good. It's different for Germany, but I wouldn't call it a Wow-great beer.

The best part is the mouthfeel and flavor is reminiscent of a German Helles while still being a pale ale with citrusy notes. Maybe a 4.3, points off for a lack of aroma, and they really could've put more Mandarina hops to give it more umph.

8. boddhitree

2nd beer from Brauerei Schönramer, the Bavarias Best IPA.
    [​IMG]

Again, it's a 0.3L bottle, again €19.90, or about
    2.20€ per bottle. Again, this is without shipping but does include all taxes.​

Aroma – very citrusy, typical C-hop aroma, cascade? Alcohol/sherry smell... oh, it's 8.2% Duh.

Flavor – very much an IPA, typical in all respects, so... a respectable IPA. Also more sherry notes, the alcohol is well hidden behind the other flavors. Lots of citrus and caramel flavors, like it's a very heavy doppel Märzen with lots of citrus hops.

Basically, a very very strong German Märzen pop-scicle with a good deal of grapefruit, lemon mixed all over the tongue. Quite good, not a Wow beer, but pretty close. 4.6, much better than tha Pale Ale. But with more alcohol, more hops, more malts, it should be better, right? But what I like about it is the wonderful Münchner malt flavors that blend wonderfully with American hops.

9. boddhitree

A 3rd beer from Brauerei Schönramer: their Altbayrisch Dunkel. The website says it's brewed almost solely from dark and roasted malts… ohne Einsatz von Dunkelbiersirup und hellem Malz. (Ein alter Trick der Konzernbrauereien, die ohne Aufwand ein großes Sortiment produzieren wollen.) Wir mögen es lieber aufwändig!
    That means "without the use of dark syrup and light malts. (An old trick that large brewers, who want to produce a large amount without effort.) We like it rather expensive!"

[​IMG]

At 5%, a deep, dark reddish beer.

Aroma: dark, roasted malts, Schönram says fresh Bauerbrot, or German farmer's bread, ok, now that's in my head, I smell it too, but still, its a powerful, full bore roasted malt aroma.

Flavor:

Up front: A nice Noble hop bitterness, quite unexpected with bitterness from dark and roasted malts/
    Middle: Roasted malts explode over the tongue, more Bauernbrot.
    Back: Some chocolate, a little vanilla, really yummy. I'm also getting a tad bitterness but more from the malts. It's not very chocolaty, but enough to make it delicious, but combined with roasted malt flavors. It also has a Münchner malt with some caramel.

Overall, it's a great, WOW beer. It's sweet, roasted but not overpowering and with enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying.

10. seanyfo

This sold it for me!

11. seanyfo

My next bier from Dampfbierbrauerei Zwiesel is their Pfeffer Hell, abv 4.9%

[​IMG]

Appearance - Straw hazy blonde with a creamy semi thick head. Retention and lacing are very good.

Aroma - Grassy, grainy notes at the forefront with hints of vanilla and honey lingering in the background.

Taste - Semi sweet malts up front with the touch of vanilla in there. Faintest touch of hop bite in the clean lager finish. A cereal grain quality lingers on.

Mouthfeel - Delicate carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. This makes it dangerously drinkable.

Nothing mindblowing aroma/flavour-wise but the mouthfeel had me drinking this like it was apfelschorle! Went down a treat. A solid biergarten hot summer day type bier with great drinkability.

Prost!

12. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

This one made me really thirsty. Prost!

13. seanyfo

Next bier from the Dampfbierbrauerei Zwiesel

Schmelzer Hoibe Schankbier 3.5%

[​IMG]

Appearance - Apple juice gold with a hint of hue. Rocky 3 finger white head reduces fairly quickly but produces excellent lacing.

Aroma - Hints of honey sweetness with a touch of pepper.

Taste - Sweeter flavours dominate as expected. Honey the most obvious, rather than balance with any hop bite the malt note just slowly fades in the lager clean finish. The malt character was quite impressive considering the strength.

Mouthfeel - That soft delicate carbonation again with a solid body! Top stuff!

Overall, for the style it does the job really well. Refreshing, easily drinkable but retains enough character to recognise it as a bier rather than water! I'm sure this would go down well in front of a 50c oven!

Prost!

Gutes_Bier and Crusader like this.
  14. einhorn

Beer Trader

Please forgive me for the blasphemy, but I finally got around to the Andechs Doppelbock that I haven't had in over 7 years and I was **gulp** truly underwhelmed. I had two beers before trying it (the Andechs hefeweizen and a Norwegian craft lager) and I wanted to like it so much more. Not sure what to say. Maybe it was too cold? I will certainly revisit this and prepare accordingly.

On a side note, the helles hefeweizen was phenomenal.

15. seanyfo

That's funny, the doppelbock is the only beer that doesn't underwhelm me from Andechs

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  16. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

While I wouldn't quite go this far, I'd say my opinion is more in line with yours than Einhorn's. I did not like their dunkel-weizen nearly as much as Einhorn did, and I am a fan of the Dopplebock. I will say this, though - I recently purchased an entire case of the Dopplebock so I could get a sweet Andechs-branded earthenware mug and I would say that one in an evening is enough. The second one starts to feel far too sweet to me and I don't enjoy it nearly as much. One is perfect, though.

I'm wondering if Einhorn wouldn't mind pinpointing for us exactly what he didn't like about it?

And to make him feel better about the blaspheming, I personally didn't care for Ayinger's Altbayrisch Dunkel. I would revisit it, but I don't feel like dropping €18,00 on a 9er (internet pricing) of beer I've had before and didn't love. So now there are two in the Blasphemy Boat.

EDIT: here is the mug in question:

[​IMG]

JackHorzempa, einhorn and boddhitree like this.
  17. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,867) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Two very good reasons that the Doppelbock may not have tasted just right, especially with the Hefeweizen leading the charge across your palate.

Um, Norwegian craft lager? Your company toying with another import?

18. danfue

danfue Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Germany

Just got home from the Getränkemarkt. Fresh Aventinus, some Allgäuer Export and the good old Bayreuther mix-pack. :)

[​IMG]

herrburgess likes this.
  19. steveh

Büble Bier?

20. danfue

A side brand from Allgäuer Brauhaus in Kempten. See here.

21. steveh

Okay, but what's Büble, a nickname/pet-name of some sort?

22. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

steveh likes this.
  23. steveh

Okay -- there's the nickname. Reminds of so much crossover between German and Yiddish.

At least it wasn't named after that gawdawful singer. ;)

24. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

With Andechs apparently now in the US, the doppelbock doesn't taste as good because it's rarity has fallen off :p
    I brought 3 bottles back and still need to open them. I gave one to a brewer friend and he certainly seemed to enjoy it though.
    I had the Andechser doppelbock on tap at the monastery 6 weeks ago and it was good, but the smell of cattle and the millions of flies didn't do it any favors. However their helles vollbier and the hefe were both terrific at the Am Dom restaurant in town.

einhorn, spartan1979 and steveh like this.
  25. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I was planning at stopping at Das Wirtshaus in Nürnberg after lunch when we are there. Maybe I should just have more beer in Bamberg!

26. einhorn

Beer Trader

I think I had such high expectations. For some reason I remember it as being much more caramel-y, with more melanoidens, aroma and dark fruit flavor. Also possible my palate has changed, but I will try it again at optimal conditions.

Yes, Steve, we picked up Jai Ho Craft Lager from Norway. Nothing mind-blowing, very macro tasting and some diacetyl. Fits well the "meh" category.

My wife polished off the vollbier but I had a few swigs - I concur Domingo, very solid indeed.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  27. steveh

Oh well, was hoping Aass might be back!

28. seanyfo

As a style, overall i don't think i could drink something so malty sweet 1/2 litre and 1/2 litre either!

Funnily enough, i had an Altbairisch Dunkel a few nights ago, and it definitely falls behind Augustiner and Weltenburger for me now. Albeit I still really enjoy it!

I would never say a preference or dislike for any beer is blasphemy! It's all subjective! Rating sites like these that build up hype for biers because of rarity or whatever, always leave me underwhelmed if i look up the bier first. This definitely happened for me drinking Westvleteren 12, totally couldn't see what the fuss was about - a lovely bier yes but I'm not going to trade a kidney for one!

P.s Love that Andechs Krug!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  29. seanyfo

I faced this exact situation a few weeks ago. 45min wait at the Nurnberg Hbf for the Bamberg train so had a wander around deciding whether to get lunch or just get to Bamberg.

I chose Bamberg.

I was not disappointed :)

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  30. Gutes_Bier

Thanks! It's hard to say how happy I was to come across this one. (a) I needed a ceramic mug for my "collection", (b) I didn't want it to be Schlenkerla branded (I already have a Schlenkerla tulip), (c) I did want it to be a brewery that I liked/respected, and (d) I didn't want to pay a lot for it.

Andechs krug free with purchase of case of Andechs Berg Bock or Dopplebock = score!!!

31. boddhitree

I had the Allgäuer Büble Helles and Weizen last night on tap in a restaurant. Basically, without taking notes, it wasn't great, but not that terrible. The only bad thing about this beer is that it's owned by the Radeburger Gruppe, and it's also the brewer of Altmünster beer, which can be found in every supermarket in Germany save Aldi and has the distintinctive bottles, as you can see below.
    [​IMG]
    The Zwickel from Aktien Brauerei is quite good and I've had it in a few pubs in Germany.

seanyfo and herrburgess like this.
  32. spartan1979

What day of the week was that?

33. Gutes_Bier

I always chuckle when I see things like the (Michael?) Buble beer and Berliner Kindl. It makes me wonder how the depiction of a child on an alcoholic beverage would be received in America.

34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,777) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Well the Manneken Pis beer label was an issue:

"Belgian officials can't understand how the likeness of one of their country's national icons could be banned from beer labels in Ohio. At issue is the Manneken Pis--a classic Belgian statue of a little boy urinating. Replicas of the statue are found in millions of gardens around the world.

In November, the Ohio Division of Liquor Control banned one of Belgium's best-selling beers, also named Manneken Pis Coordinates:

Manneken Pis (Brabantian for little man wee), is a Brussels landmark. , because of the picture of the statue on the label.

Bill Teets, spokesperson for the Ohio Department of Commerce, said state standards specifically ban things with any likeness in immodest im·mod·est
    adj.
    1. Lacking modesty.

a. Offending against sexual mores in conduct or appearance; indecent: a bathing suit considered immodest by the local people.

b. vulgar or sensuous manner on any product containing alcohol. No label on an alcoholic beverage alcoholic beverage

Any fermented liquor, such as wine, beer, or distilled liquor, that contains ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, as an intoxicating agent. When an alcoholic beverage is ingested, the alcohol is rapidly absorbed in the stomach and intestines because it does not can show children or the likeness of children, he added."

35. Gutes_Bier

::Immature chuckle at name "Bill Teets"::

JackHorzempa likes this.
  36. seanyfo

Twas a Wednesday

37. spartan1979

We'll be going through the Nürnberg Hbf on both a Thursday and a Saturday heading to Bamberg. Is a 45 minute wait normal?

38. danfue

Allgäuer Brauhaus with its two or three brands that are all distributed nationwide is something like a respectable macro-brewer to me. You have to buy the best you can get if you don't want to order online all the time. I'm also fine with the Altenmünster beers. As you said, their beers are nothing spectacular, but nice every-day beers for me. And I had one of the Büble Edelbräu earlier. It's not an Export as I wrote above, it seems to be more of a Märzen. Light brown, a bit reddish color, somewhat stronger with 5.5 % ABV.

39. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

I believe the regional trains run once per hour, so a 45 min wait is pretty typical. Nuernberg Bahnhof has one of the sketchiest bars I've ever been to. I think they serve Tucher. Some real characters in there. One time some guy my buddy and I met in town accompanied us there before catching our respective trains. He ended up convincing all the "regulars" (!) that my buddy was Burt Reynold's step-son. I have no idea why he concocted that scheme, but somehow he managed to have them believing. (Probably because they were all hammered....)

spartan1979 likes this.
  40. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,159) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

But did it get anybody any freebies? ;-)

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.