Germany Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by boddhitree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,849) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

That sounds about perfect to me. I had a Sprecher (Milwaukee) Doppelbock last night and at 8% ABV and it had that Fuselalkohole you are talking about -- just a little disappointing from a brewery that has a great rep for German-style beers -- "hot," peppery alcohol throughout. As I said in my review, "Doppelbock ought to lull you into a false sense of security with mellow, sweet malt and smooth drinking -- before you discover the bar stool is too tall for your legs." Sounds like the Faust fits that bill.

And the Krug is great too!

seanyfo, danfue and herrburgess like this.
  2. Beric

Beric Champion (896) Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I went to a local beer store today and noticed they just got in some Schneider Weisse variety packs here, and having seen this post a few days ago, I had my hopes up until...I saw the price was $29.

The pack included:

1 Aventinus glass (which is cool, I guess, but I would have preferred the Fancy Pants ProBier glass from yours)
    1 Aventinus
    1 Aventinus Eisbock
    1 Edel-weisse
    1 Original
    1 Hopfenweisse

Same for Weizenbock, as far as overall effect. I'll never forget getting up after dinner at the Schneider Weisse pub in Munich after an Aventinus and Hopfenweisse and saying to myself "Oh. That's interesting." :D

Gutes_Bier and steveh like this.
  3. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (385) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Based on the strength of your recommendation and @boddhitree 's reviews (and others?), I have ordered one 10er of Kneitinger's Dunkel and one 10er of Kneitinger Pils (500 ml brown bottles) directly from Kneitinger's website. I hope to have them delivered next week. Reviews to follow. I will possibly do a blind side-by-side with Rothaus.

Funny side note: I am customer number 97 and my order was order number 99. That made me chuckle. Although at close to €50,00 for 20 beers (includes shipping of €15+), I guess it's not too surprising that most orders are one-and-done.

herrburgess likes this.
  4. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,002) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Hopslam is gong for up to $36 a six pack hete.

5. Gutes_Bier

I know I'm not telling you anything new, but I can literally purchase ~5 times that much (fresh) Schlenkerla Märzen for under €20,00, which converts to something like $26-ish US.

I will miss German beer prices.

6. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (290) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Interesting topic in general - when I left Germany in 2008, Lebensmittel (foods including beverages) were the cheapest in the entire EU. Maybe things have changed, but from what I read the philosophy of Aldi/Lidl/Penny/Norma & Co have only become deeper entrenched in everyday life in Germany. Inexpensive beer is expected!! Can German brewers continue to produce a decent product despite price expectations?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. seanyfo

seanyfo Meyvn (1,020) Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Its been a while since I've reviewed ein Bayerisches Bier here. I've had the hard job of sampling the brews of the the southern hemisphere in Australia and New Zealand. Conclusions there for me were........ they cant make a damn lager or pilsner but their pale ales are rather good albeit on the maltier end of the spectrum.

It was nice to return to an old faithful for me Weltenburger Barock-Dunkel

[​IMG]

Appearance - A dark mahongany body with excellent clarity. The milky coffee coloured head is thick producing excellent retention and lacing.

Smell - Dark chocolate, crusty wholemeal bread, coffee and a hint of a metallic note maybe?

Taste - Lots of sweet bready malts up front, with a silky good quality dark chocolate feel coming through . No hop note as expected in the finish, just a subtle slow fading of the malt complexity.

Carbonation - Full bodied but still retains a lightness that allows me to inhale at lightning speed. Moderate carbonation.

It's a true favourite of mine. Started making me think about making a pilgrimage to Kelheim to sample at source, anybody been?

Damn, it's good to be back!

Prost!

8. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

I've been. You probably already know this, but the setting is absolutely magnificent. Makes the beer taste even better (if that's possible). Definitely worth a trip, but I'd combine with a trip to Regensburg, as the Kloster itself is fairly isolated.

Stahlsturm likes this.
  9. seanyfo

You read my mind!
    Perhaps a trip to Weisses Bräuhaus in Kelheim too!

Bierman9 likes this.
  10. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Just thought I make a quick mention of something I saw at Biershop Bayern's website just now. They posted that Spitalbrauerei Regensburg is now for sale online through them. They're a really good beer, as my review last year testifies to. I reviewed their
    and I really liked it. You can get all their regulars there: the Pils, Helles, Weizen, Dunkel Weizen. Also, you can get their Pale Ale
    [​IMG]
    and Strong Ale,
    [​IMG]
    but it'll cost you a little. Pale Ale and Strong Ale: 21,90 € for 9 0.33L bottles or 14,90 € for 1 0.75L bottle.

seanyfo likes this.
  11. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I've been there, too. It is a beautiful place. We got a tour from the Brewmaster. We got to have the Asam Bock right from the lagering tank. One of the best biers I've ever had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bierman9, boddhitree, steveh and 4 others like this.
  12. seanyfo

That is epic!

13. einhorn

Beer Trader

The classical "Zwickelbier" so to speak. Don't get no fresher.

14. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany

Apparently they can.

15. Stahlsturm

Which is brewed by Bischhofshof Regensburg.

16. Stahlsturm

It's about 40 km from where I live, what do you think...? :D
    Although, in Summer it's an absolute nightmare with insane amounts of tourist busses. The best way to experience Weltenburg is to park in Kelheim and hike up the valley (about 6 km) and then cross the river with a "Zille". There's a bunch of boatsmen there who will ferry you across the River into the promised beer garden for 2 EUR per person. Once you've had your fill of Weltenburg they can be conviced with a 20 to ferry you all the way back to Kelheim. It's quite magical on the river going in what basically is the size of a canoe.

seanyfo, Bierman9 and spartan1979 like this.
  17. Stahlsturm

I had that a while ago, it's basically a hopped up Weizen (I really do not like Weizen) and I had to wash down the aftertaste with a Dunkel. I will never spend money on that again but to be fair, while we were sitting there I saw a lot of people ordering these. They didn't have the Strong Ale yet, I might give that one a shot next time I'm near Spital.

18. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I was under the impression that the Barock Dunkel and the Asam Bock were brewed at the Kolster. When I was there in 2010 were were told that it was brewed there and trucked to Nürnberg for bottling. Of course, things may have change in three years.

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,731) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Are there German laws about labeling where a beer is brewed? I have a bottle of Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock which lists: “Brewed by Klosterbraueri Weltenburg GmbH D-93309 Kelheim/Germany”. Since Kelheim is specifically mentioned I am assuming this beer was brewed at the Kloster; is that true?

Cheers!

20. einhorn

Beer Trader

From another thread, at least you understood why low pricing is bad. Maybe you remember saying this:

This "price fixing" was actually a good thing because they set a price that was high enough for small breweries to survive as well. Now that this agreement has been broken up, Makro beer prices will go down, small breweries who can't compete anymore because they pay a relatively higher price for their raw materials will go out of business and the erosion of the German brewery landscape will hasten the development that will turn the remaining parts of Germany into the Makro wasteland that large stretches of Germany already are as we have discussed countless times before.

So apparently they can - at least for a while. Until they are expected to invest in machinery and pay increases in wages, energy, inflation, etc.

21. steveh

I think this has come up previously and we learned that the export beers were brewed at Bischhofshof just for quantity & efficiency sake. But yes, things may have changed since then too.

22. Stahlsturm

All Asam Bock is brewed at the monastery and then trucked to Regensburg for bottling. The facilities at the monastery can't keep up with demand on the Dunkel though so what's served at the actual monastery beer garden is actually brewed there but all Barock Dunkel (and most other beers) are brewed at Bischhofshof.

spartan1979 likes this.
  23. Stahlsturm

As I said, all asam Bock is still brewed at the monastery :)

24. Stahlsturm

I realize beer prices need to be realistic and need to rise as all other costs rise. I'm all for allowing every brewer a very decent wage. But I see that happening right here in Bayern. I have not see a poor brewmaster yet. So what I'm saying is that one can brew very good beer and have a very decent life at Bavarian price levels.

25. danfue

danfue Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Germany

This graphic about beer consumption in Europe circulated on Twitter lately. Someone corrected it, adding the actual figures for Oberfranken. :D

[​IMG]

boddhitree, seanyfo, TreinJan and 4 others like this.
  26. danfue

Wait a minute, I just had a look at the original Tweet. It's by @Hopfen_Malz, and the profile says Berlin Beer Store. Isn't that @LBerges round here? Good work on that graphic anyway!

LBerges likes this.
  27. -N8

-N8 Aspirant (267) Feb 7, 2014 Germany

This evening's beer; I'm kickin' it old school with my first Kellerbier. This is an Aktien Zwick'l Kellerbier, sampled (in what else?), my keller.

PROST!

[​IMG]

28. steveh

First? Ever? Man, you are a pup. ;):D

29. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Nice cellar... I wish mine looked as big as your does... I'd have it full of homebrew supplies and beer.

30. Gutes_Bier

Well well well...

Not much to say here that hasn't already been (perfectly) captured by @boddhitree in his wonderful review of this beer.

Kneitinger Export Dunkel
    500 ml bottle poured into a ceramic stein. ABV 5,2%. Best before date of Oct. 8th, 2014. Consumed on Feb. 14th, 2014.

I have to agree, this is a WOW beer. It's a classic German brew in that it starts off fairly unassuming and grows into some sort of transcendent experience while you're not looking, making you literally do double-takes into the mug between swallows. This goes down quickly and so dang easily. Roasted malt flavors throughout, but a beautiful nuttiness on the finish as well. This is a great dunkel. Hard to tell exactly if I like it more than the Wilderer Dunkel by Eck, but I'd sure like to do a side-by-side of these. I gave the Widerer a 4.25, a grade I should probably reconsider. Between Kneitinger and Eck Bräu, I'm not sure how much better Dunkels can get.

4.50/5.00

[​IMG]

31. seanyfo

Bottled, so far my favourite is Weltenburg Barock Dunkel, I can't wait to find some Kneitinger Dunkel now!

32. Gutes_Bier

I had the Weltenburg a long time ago and should revisit, but I don't remember being "wowed" by it. I ordered the Kneitinger from their own website; not sure if they delver to the UK.

33. seanyfo

The hunt begins.......

and ends

Mein-biershop.de has it!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  34. Gutes_Bier

Another good one from Kneitinger. I am going to hold off on a full review for now because (a) I want to do a blind side-by-side with Rothaus, and (b) it's a Champions League week and I don't have much time for beer reviews right now. :p

I liked it a lot, though. A distinct earthy hoppiness comes through during beer number two. It's definitely worth tracking down if you can.

[​IMG]

35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,731) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

“I want to do a blind side-by-side with Rothaus” I can’t wait to read that. It reminds me of my side-by-side evaluation of Rothaus with Sunshine Pils.

Cheers!

36. Stahlsturm

Just to clarify, are you using Rothaus because you think it can stand up or because it's a widely distributed beer that can serve as a point of reference to BAs located elsewhere who are not intimately familiar with German beer ?

37. Gutes_Bier

I like Rothaus a lot, so it's sort of my reference point for Pilsners.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  38. seanyfo

A new one for me tonight from Brauerei Zirndorf, Zirndorf in Mittelfranken

Landweizen 5.3% abv

[​IMG]

I love the label - a summer countryside scene definitely puts me in the mood for a thirst quenching weissbier!

A - Darker apple juice hued bodied with a strong creamy 4 finger head which gives excellent lacing/retention.

S - Cereal grains, rice, very faint clove.

T - Cereal grains up front which gradually fade revealing a greasy buttery like quality in a muted sticky clumsy finish

M - Medium body, greasy mouthfeel, not refreshing at all!

Overal, it's a case of being seduced by the label for me. This greasy mouthfeel quality reminds me of Erdinger and the flavour profile doesn't save it. On a positive note, it looks pretty good!

Prost!

boddhitree likes this.
  39. danfue

I was trapped by Zirndorfer once too. Nicely looking beers I hadn't heard about. Tasted them and was disappointed. Then I learned that they belong to the realm of Radeberger and I understood.

seanyfo and boddhitree like this.
  40. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Even when they were independent, they never had the reputation of being very good.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More