BBA framinghammer?

Discussion in 'New England' started by OrangeAmps, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrangeAmps

OrangeAmps Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hi there,

trying to find some of this for a friend. Is there any left or did i miss the boat on this one? Is there anywhere in MA where this is still sitting around?

Thanks

2. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

You should still be able to find it around. If you give your location people may be able to be a bit more helpful. The Vanilla and coffee variations will be out this upcoming Thursday at the brewery and after that at Julio's.

3. OrangeAmps

OrangeAmps Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I live in cambridge but often work down in the south coast/RI area as well as worcester. basically anywhere in/around the greater boston area is up for grabs. If anyone sees anything, let me know.

4. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Massachusetts

Tons in Marshfield...

5. koflaherty

koflaherty Initiate (192) Nov 11, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Granite in Weymouth. It's on the 'limited' shelf so they shouldn't go too fast.

6. jongullotti

jongullotti Aspirant (294) Apr 7, 2006 Massachusetts

Only available at Julios?

7. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Doubt it, it's just that Julio's is where the official release is.

8. Auror

Auror Defender (634) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Fairly sure the variants are brewery and Julios-only. Think someone said Julios bought JA the barrels or something like that. That could just be a rumor though.

9. MattOC

MattOC Aspirant (206) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think JA said that themselves on here that the barrels are from Julio's that is why they are doing the release there.

10. tkelley

tkelley Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Massachusetts

You can still get the bba framinghammer at the brewery for six dollars per.

bring likes this.
  11. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot Initiate (178) Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Gordon's Waltham had 2 cases friday

12. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (192) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

IIRC, Formaggio Kitchen on Huron still had some last week.

13. Rekrule

Yes. Only at Julios and the brewery.

14. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Disciple (342) May 1, 2011 Maine

I picked up 2 bottles at New England Wine & Spirits in Newburyport on Friday. They were in the coolers in the back of the store on the far left. I wouldn't have seen them back there if I hadn't asked.

15. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (237) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

Sounds strange. Regular BA Framinghammer barrels weren't from Julio, why would barrels for variants come from them?

16. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (348) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Julio's goes to Kentucky to pick out bourbon they want to sell in their store and they get the barrels. They hand those barrels over to brewers to make specialty beer just for them. Last year is was Smuttynose.

17. Sesmu

It's not what I asked. I said regular BA Framingham barrels weren't from Julio's - they were procured through Atlantic Importing. So my questions was: why would variants then be procured through Julio's? Atlantic certainly has enough power to bring in more barrels.

Can whiskey be sold w/o a distributor? Or Julio's does distributorship as well?

18. Sesmu

Gordon's in Watertown had some today.

19. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (348) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Because Julio's wanted Jack's Abby to make a special beer for them that Julio's can only sell in their store and wanted them to use the barrels they got, so I did answer your question just not as well as you wanted. But you know what, just ask Julio's.

Rekrule and Jnorton00 like this.
  20. mkabull

mkabull Disciple (385) Nov 2, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I can't find any info saying these are different barrels. Do you have info from JA or Julios? Or is this just a rumor?

21. koflaherty

koflaherty Initiate (192) Nov 11, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The JA guys said so in another thread.

22. Rekrule

From another thread:

23. mkabull

mkabull Disciple (385) Nov 2, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the info

24. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (124) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

No, they "buy" a barrel, and the distiller bottles it for them, usually with a range of number of bottles. They then get the bottles and the empty barrel. But they always pick excellent stuff, never had an off one yet.

25. Sesmu

I'm not questioning the quality. I'm curious how the process works. I've also heard of a restaurant that "personally" buys cognac from France, but is it really different buying a barrel or buying a bottle for an out-of-state resale? How does the end-retailer do this?

26. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (124) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

The retailer goes to the distillery or gets sent some samples. They taste and then select a barrel, the distillery then bottles it for them. It needs to be an current label for the distillery, and then the retailer usually puts a small sticker on the bottle. If you are in the know, your bourbon guy will ask your opinion and have you try the samples .:)

27. Rekrule

My wife picked up 2 each of the coffee and vanilla variations at the brewery. Excited.

Boomblaze likes this.
  28. MattOC

Beer Trader

I thought they didn't open until 3 on Thursdays?

29. Rekrule

If someone is there to ring you up they will sell you bottles. No tastings, no growlers, just bottle sales..

30. MattOC

Beer Trader

Ah, I see, thank you. Plan on heading over after work to pick some up.

31. Woody1180

Woody1180 Aspirant (203) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Did she mention what the price is? Not concerned just curious, grabbing some after work today

32. Rekrule

$8 a bottle.

Auror likes this.
  33. Mbrown44

Mbrown44 Aspirant (261) Dec 7, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know the number of bottles made? Wondering if they'll still be available at the brewery Friday.

34. Auror

Auror Defender (634) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If not Julio's isn't going to start selling them until Saturday.

35. Sesmu

I see. Thanks.
    Does it still have to be processed through the distributor even though the "arrangement" was made directly?

And speaking of the subject beer: does anybody know how much of both vanilla and coffee is available at the brewery? Not sure when I'll be able to get there.

P.S. should collect my thoughts faster :)

36. Woody1180

Woody1180 Aspirant (203) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the quick reply

37. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I'm heading over there. Hopefully getting on the 4pm tour since I've never been then grabbing a few bottles. Can't wait to ride back on the commuter rail with them haha

38. atdunn9

atdunn9 Initiate (49) Feb 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How late are they open till?

Edit: Found it on their website. Thursday and Friday 3-7pm Saturday 12-5pm if anyone else is wondering.

39. atdunn9

atdunn9 Initiate (49) Feb 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Is there a limit to how many you can purchase at the brewery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.