British Columbia [BC] Upcoming / New Release Thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JasonLovesBeer, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kump

Kump Initiate (190) May 23, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Interesting… might have to take a trip out soon.

2. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (78) Jun 14, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

My first reaction with an OCD I opened just now was it's more like an imperial sartori harvest than any prior OCD. Delicious! Certainly not what I expected but very nice.

JasonLovesBeer and Kump like this.
  3. Kump

Beer Trader

That's actually the first thing that came to my mind too.

4. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Hmm! Canadian 120 minute?

Kump likes this.
  5. schopenhauerale

schopenhauerale Devotee (461) Dec 6, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Abyss should be arriving in the next week or two, depending on your local liquor store's delivery schedule. May already be available at certain locations!

Lurkaholic likes this.
  6. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Awesome!

Any idea which? :)

7. JasonLovesBeer

Legacy tweeted a few hours ago a pic of Abyss 2012, but no mention of 2013. I don't have 2012 either. I can't tell whether to put in OT so I can leave early tomorrow, or leave work in a frenzy.

8. Kump

Beer Trader

They do have 13 aleady. I grabbed one of each this afternoon.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  9. JasonLovesBeer

10. Kump

Beer Trader

Damn that was quick! Well Kerrisdale liquor store will have '13s tomorrow afternoon.

Lurkaholic likes this.
  11. JasonLovesBeer

Well I'm going direct from work to a family dinner (none of which is in Vancouver) so perhaps no Abyss for me. Bummed it's right in the middle of the holidays that it finally shows up; first world problems.

I'm headed down to Portland on Boxing day, so I'm sure I'll find something to console myself with! Fingers crossed Doggie Claws is still available...

12. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Jason I've got tomorrow off - if I get lucky and land a bunch I'll pass some your way :)

13. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Aspirant (299) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Good thing I grabbed some in Bellingham as I'm outta town now. As always, check outside DT

14. JasonLovesBeer

Tom and Phil have my back, man-hugs to them! My girlfriend also is going to try to pick me up some though so lady-hugs to her.

15. Kump

Beer Trader

Four Winds IPA 4packs are going to be hitting stores soon. Haven't had it in quite a while come to think of it…

16. schopenhauerale

New releases can be a bit slow hitting the Island, so my brother-in-law brought me this from Seattle:
    [​IMG]

17. JonnyBeers

Beer Trader

It's a shame Freemont doesn't make it to BC, they'd sell like crazy. But, I'm happy that it's super easy to find almost year round just an hour south

checktherhyme likes this.
  18. schopenhauerale

Finally.
    [​IMG]

Everyone else got theirs? Nanaimo area BAs, BM me if you need a bottle.

19. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Hahaha! Damn. That's quite a haul :)

EDIT: And is that a case of lustrum under the counter?! Christ...

JasonLovesBeer likes this.
  20. Boozecamel

Boozecamel Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

What's a bottle going for? Was surprised at the price difference from last year buying in Oregon.

21. schopenhauerale

I didn't take the whole case (just got 2 bottles for myself); the rest are going to my store's customers, got 2 left that are not spoken for.

And yes, that is a two case display of Lustrum. I have another case in the fridge. Still got some Belle Royale left (2 bottles) too. Let's just say the Nanaimo beer scene is a lot slower than Vancouver's or even Victoria's. At my store Cantillons are shelf turds (but I bring them in anyway, for my personal enjoyment and the handful of regulars I have who love the sours).

EDIT: I AM going halfsies with a friend on a whole mixed case of the FiftyFifty Eclipse when it comes in though. We'll probably be doing a bottle share if anyone on the Island is interested.

#221 schopenhauerale, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  22. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Oh it's your store! That makes a lot more sense. Two's a good number, I ended up with that many too. I'm also trying to land a mixed case of eclipse to split with a friend if/when it arrives here... though I'm not getting my hopes up too high, in case Alberta nabs them all or some such :p

And as slow as the island might seem sour wise, the last Cantillon shipment for us mainlanders arrived in June and the two stores that got the lions share (if not all) of it are still not sold out either, despite a few people buying a total amounting to multiple cases (ahem)... so don't feel left out. We're just as bad :)

23. JonnyBeers

Beer Trader

If you mean Abyss, I found it extremely easy to get for $15 a bottle in Bellingham a month ago. In 2010, I remember paying over $30 a bottle in Vancouver, the first year I tried it :D it was amazing! I heard that since then, the distributor worked out some sort of 'deal' to bring it here for closer to what it retails for in the US. Although as of last year it was like $12 in Oregon, I think it's closer to $18 in Vancouver depending on store/CAMRA discount. Even the brewery direct price went up. Regardless, it's amazing and worth every penny. I bought 2 bottles this year as it seems to show up all the time at bottle shares, so I didn't see any point in buying more. Parabola and BCBS will be getting my $ when it comes to multiples ;)

24. schopenhauerale

As I understand it (and I've been wrong about liquor pricing structure before, thank you bizarre and asinine BC liquor law), Abyss this year:
    [Expect a few cents of variance per value]
    Nominal cost/Wholesale cost (What the BC LDB warehouse charges): $16.39
    Wholesale cost after LRS discount (private liquor stores get what used to be a 16% discount off the above cost, not sure what it is now, now that the PST is back): $12.67
    Retail price (cost + 16% was the formula for so-called "Government Pricing," but stores can set their markup wherever they want, especially on 'Spec' items that the government stores don't carry, so depending on your location you might see anything from +16% up): estimated $16-32. My store has them going for $18.99, bought mine on employee discount for just under $15, which I understand is close to store prices in the US.

If anyone felt any amount of confusion at any point while reading the above data, please write to your local MP, the Liquor Board, and anyone else who will listen about reforming BC liquor law.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  25. Boozecamel

Boozecamel Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

I did mean Abyss. Good to see B.C had great pricing this year. The exchange rate is worse too.

In 2012, I bought Abyss in Portland for $14 (actually $12.60 with discount). This year I asked the in-laws to grab me some and they were $20 a bottle. I think this was on the high end of what locals paid, but I think on average it was $18.

26. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Noticed a bunch of DDC beers around town - Legacy's got Soltice d'Hiver & Derniere Volonte, and Darby's has Rigor Mortis, Chaman, Peche Mortel, Aphrodisiaque & Penombre.

Also CC's Imperial smoked porter is out and about in the usual spots now too.

JasonLovesBeer likes this.
  27. JasonLovesBeer

Peche Mortel locally? Sweet.

Can't wait for that Cantillon shipment, though thanks to my recent Portland excursion I have nowhere to put them.

28. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

I think the peche has been there for a few months at least... but I assure you, it's drinking wonderfully :)

29. schopenhauerale

I picked up a Central City Imperial Porter today for $12.50 - what are they going for in Vancouver?

It might just be that the term 'porter' suggests something less impressive and bombastic than 'stout' to my easily manipulated beer mind, but between the name, the packaging, the ABV, and the limited description, this looked more like a $8-10 kind of bomber (I mean, $12.50 makes me think something more in the Driftwood sour, barleywine, or RIS weight class).

Can someone wiser and more knowledgeable in the ways of Central City explain why this beer is special and does or doesn't justify the price tag? I am sure I will enjoy it regardless of the price when I get around to drinking it.

30. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Wow, should have bought it from wherever you did - legacy are charging 16 bucks and change (pre Camra).

And no idea on the pricing... If I had to speculate maybe the Bourbon barrel aging is bumping it up.

31. JasonLovesBeer

I paid $20 for Deschutes' "Porter" and it was worth every penny... don't mind the terminology ;)

I haven't drank one myself but therein likely lies your answer... well, hopefully.

32. JonnyBeers

Beer Trader

$16 at Legacy for a local imperial porter? Ya ok, this just strengthens my decision to only buy direct for local beers. So, I buy my American beer in America cause it saves me %100+, and I buy my local beer direct cause it saves me %25+. Awesome being a beer lover in Vancouver!

33. schopenhauerale

Fair enough, "What's in a name? That which we call a porter by any other name would smell as sweet... er, malty"
    I'll really only know if it was worth what I paid until I drink it.

That said, if we're going to compare it to Deschutes 'Porter' (I assume you're talking the Abyss, which I haven't opened yet either) - it's easier to 'justify' its price tag before you've bought/drank it because it has a great track record of being an awesome, cellarable beer and they also go out of their way to inform you on the label about the nuances of the mash bill, barrel aging, and extra ingredients. I'm also a sucker for wax dip.

CC Imperial Porter on the other hand has no pedigree other than the brewer's, and CC is a great brewery, but when they're trying to sell me a totally new and unproven beer that does little to explain before drinking why you should be dropping $10-20 on it, it really makes one think twice before buying.

34. JasonLovesBeer

Actually the porter in question is the Black Butte XXV, I think Abyss is considered a stout - though I actually prefer BB this year over Abyss!

I agree on the track record bit. There's no way I'd pay that same price for CC's porter. I also do like the transparency on the beer's creation and intended palate - the more details the better for me!

To me, a local BA stout should be $10 - 14. I'd peg the CC porter at the $10 - $11 value for the same reasons you describe, so $12.50 wouldn't throw me off really but $16 definitely would. I wonder what Singularity will go for this year? The rapid increase in popularity of these beers might be raising prices faster than we expect.

35. schopenhauerale

One pallet of Deschutes Hop Henge in 650ml bottles has made it to BC and should be showing up on store shelves soon.

36. schopenhauerale

This was new to me:
    [​IMG]

37. Kump

Beer Trader

Pretty new. Late last year.

(the can, I mean)

38. smekermann

smekermann Aspirant (293) Oct 18, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

The BCL on Cambie & 39th has a ton of CC Imperial Porter for $12.90. I thought that was pretty steep myself but I bought two bottles anyway. Can't say I'm a huge fan of it, though. It's very "herbal" and the bourbon doesn't really come through. It's also kinda under-carbonated, in my opinion. I'll cellar the other bottle until the hops die off, maybe that'll improve it.

Singularity is dropping this month, no? Next week hopefully?

39. schopenhauerale

Driftwood hasn't sent out their sell sheet for it yet, and those usually go out 2-3 weeks before the product actually hits shelves. Talked to Gary at Driftwood about it near the end of November and the gist was Singularity is one of those 'it'll be done when it's done' brews.

40. Rutager

Rutager Poo-Bah (2,158) Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Completely agree on the porter. Not sure how they came to the pricing on this one either, just underwhelming all around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe