BCBS around Milwaukee/Waukesha

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by thebigredone, Sep 17, 2012.

1. thebigredone

thebigredone Dec 19, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I've never had BCBS before, but based on the ridiculous clamor over this beer I am really hoping to try some. Anyone have a heads up on where this will be hitting? I head to Discount in Waukesha at least once a week, is there a decent chance of finding some there?

2. nsmartell

nsmartell Aug 17, 2007 Wisconsin

If it hits the area in bottles, it will be at the Waukesha Discount. Anybody seen this in the area yet?

3. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Apr 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Pretty sure I saw in a post that it'd be hitting WI the week of the 17th (this week) and most shops put out new stock Wednesday (tomorrow). It'll likely be gone the same day.

4. jjheinrichs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/stew/chi-goose-island-312-20120911,0,941586.story

"As for standard BCS, itwill be distributed to the following states: Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Virginia (week of Sept. 17); Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Delaware (week of Sept. 24); Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska and South Dakota (week of Nov. 26); Tennessee and Kentucky (Nov. 26); California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. (week of Nov. 27)."

5. jjheinrichs

If you haven't had it you might want to keep an eye out for draft as well. I saw that 8 kegs hit Milwaukee area. There was one at Stubby's Pub n' Grub, not sure if that's kicked yet - but it's likely. Erv's Mug in the O.C. had a Goose Island dinner tonight... might be some left after that. Roman's got one but it's listed as "aging". I'm guessing Burnhearts got one... not sure where the others landed.

6. stayclean

stayclean Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

The one at Stubby's kicked a week or so ago (there were apparently only a few pours of it left after putting it away when they had it the other month).

7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Discount is the best bet but that's where it will prolly also go the fastest. I have a plan though, I will be preparing for the release by already being pre disappointed that I didn't get any...again...:(

TonyTalon likes this.
  8. stayclean

Also, I heard the Discount on Oklahoma in Milwaukee is supposed to get theirs later in the week. Here's hoping.. my birthday is on Saturday and I want some BCBS to celebrate, heh.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  9. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¬°Bad Trader! Beer Trader

I hear even though they increased the production this year that it just became more readily available in Illinois. Wisconsin will still be very limited or so thats what im being told.

10. TyPhD

TyPhD Mar 19, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Milwaukee Discount is most likely next week... Apparently the distributor still doesn't have it

11. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

illinois got 10x as much this year to show loyalty to the locals and every other state is getting 5x as much

and as far as readily available... places do still have it, but they are charging close to 50 dollars for a 4 pack. the other places that decided not to price gouge sold out in under an hour even though the allocation was much higher

12. eyemustard

eyemustard Apr 5, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I didn't take that as every other state gets 5x as much. GI said they had 5x as much overall, and IL got 10x as much as they did last year. Take that into account with a dozen more states getting allocations and I'm pretty sure we'll still be scrambling for a couple bottles here and there. I hope I'm wrong.

13. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

ahh, maybe your right? if thats the case, thats a bummer dude. I mean, i am from illinois, so i got mine, but that sucks for everyone outside illinois

14. stayclean

Well, that's a shame.

15. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Well, based on last years allocations, we got 1 6th barrel, and 3 cases...this year we got 2 6th barrels and 8 cases...so roughly 5 times previous amount.

16. eyemustard

Beer Trader

I think I overheard the Goose Island rep say bcbs was hitting Wisconsin at the end of the week and to expect it on shelves next week.

17. grynder33

grynder33 Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin

As of yesterday(Wednesday) BCS was still flowing at Erv's Mug in Oak Creek and Sn eesby Denoon Saloon in Muskego

18. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Jul 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not all of the above is true.

Many places are getting second shipments in Chicago today and tomorrow and not every place sold out in an hour. I have spoken with a number of store owners and many of them have said they will be getting another case or two. I went to about a dozen places at the end of the work day last Friday, this past Tuesday, and Wednesday and found it at 7 of them. The highest price I paid was 23.99 at one of the stores. Everywhere else was either $21.99 or $22.99

So far in all of the posts about Bourbon County sightings there has only been one place approaching $50, and they had it for $45

19. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

These quantities are not correct at all, per the Tribune article/press release. (It pretty much was a stealth press release.) Also, the pricing/availability in Chicagoland is off, too.
    • GI brewed/aged 5x more BCBS than last year.
    • From that larger amount brewed, the amount allocated to Chicago is 10x more than the amount allocated to Chicago last year.
    Assume 2,000 total cases released last year (not true, just using easy numbers), that means 10,000 total cases this year.
    Assume Chicago got 200 cases last year. That means 2,000 Chicago Cases this year. (Again, not real numbers, but easy math.)
    And it's still somewhat available around Chicago if you call around a bit. Some stores are getting second shipments. It looks like GI is using a similar strategy to to the Lolita/Juliet releases earlier this year. Initial hyped release, delayed secondary release after us nuts grab it all. BCBS probably won't sit around like Lolita/Juliet do, but scoring a single four-pack shouldn't be as big a chore.

20. eyemustard

Beer Trader

Unfortunately, most people reading the Milwaukee thread are unlikely to be able to head to Chicagoland on a beer run. It's great news for you Illinois folk, but we have yet to see how well Wisconsin will be treated.

21. TyPhD

Beer Trader

Apparently it is now officially early next week for the places I've talked to. Still not sure on quantity available though... hope we all don't get shut out.

22. stayclean

Discount Liquor posted on Facebook that it should be on shelves anywhere between Monday and Wednesday. Hopefully other stores closer to Riverwest get it (Otto's, Downer's, Whole Foods... though I'm doubtful on that) since I won't be able to make it out there next week.

23. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just saying that Milwaukee may have a similar situation. The availability here gives some hope that it wont' be as difficult as last year.

Milwaukee is my home town, so I really hope they get treated well.

24. eyemustard

Beer Trader

I'm just being a pessimist. I still hold a grudge from last year when Wisconsin was the only state in the Midwest to miss out on Coffee and Bramble.

TyPhD and stayclean like this.
  25. thebigredone

thebigredone Dec 19, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Any updates? Supposedly will be received today or tomorrow at Discount.

26. stayclean

Haven't heard anything yet. The other day Discount posted on their Facebook they would be getting it anywhere between today and Wednesday. Tomorrow will be nice since that's the only day I can get a ride up there.. gluing my fingers crossed.

27. TyPhD

Beer Trader

Call to Discount reveals they are expecting it Friday now...

28. pk18

pk18 Jun 12, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I can confirm this as well.

29. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I can confirm this was confirmed.

pk18 and jakethesnake9z9z like this.
  30. jegross2

Beer Trader

PS, It's still all over chicago. Walked into 8 stores this weekend. All had it. Even a Walgreens had some. Granted, $25-30 after taxes, but Chicago charges 10% tax.

31. DogfishRyan

DogfishRyan Mar 2, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

What!? Name 2 stores you walked into Saturday that had them! Where? Seriously? I was at about a dozen stores and came up with nothing. Guess I wasn't in your area.

32. jegross2

Beer Trader

Binnys (grand), Capones, Vas, and Armanettis

Oh, and a few grocery stores too

33. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sweet I plan on rolling through there around 3 PM on friday

34. TonyTalon

TonyTalon Mar 20, 2012 Wisconsin

IT HAS HIT MILWAUKEE!!!!

35. xsists

xsists Dec 31, 2007 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Care to share where?

36. TonyTalon

TonyTalon Mar 20, 2012 Wisconsin

Ill throw these out there.
    Its not at discount Waukesha as of 200pm, but they are lame and selling it by the bottle.
    Rays liquor is having a first come 1 4pk per on Sat when it opens.
    Most sendicks have gotten at least 2 cases.
    Its more places then you would think.

37. pk18

pk18 Jun 12, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Clearly this information must be held close to the vest, in order to hoard as much BCBS from the case and a half that is allotted to the Milwaukee area.

TyPhD and stayclean like this.
  38. atone315

atone315 Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I can tell you that there is DEFINITELY more than a case and a half...

39. xsists

xsists Dec 31, 2007 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Waukesha always sells per bottle. I'm fine with that, at least I get some. They can stretch it further.
    Rays always does a opening sale for their big releases
    Sendiks in Pewaukee/Brookfield had none as of 3pm yesterday. They told me it wasn't released and when I said ok I just saw that other places have it, they told me to go there instead.

40. grynder33

grynder33 Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin

ok Ive got mine. BCS hit the stores last night in Milwaukee area

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe