1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

BCBS, BCBCS on tap

Discussion in 'New England' started by xanok, May 22, 2013.

1. xanok

xanok Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

According to their Facebook page, both are on tap at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT.

2. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

My sister's graduation is in Middletown this Sunday, damnit I bet they will be gone :(

3. sandman3479

sandman3479 Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Saw that. Shame Eli Cannon's sucks the other 364 days of the year.

Pahn likes this.
  4. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Why's that?

5. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Personally, I don't like their bartenders or service. Their food is usually pretty tasty however.

I also see it to be far more of a priority for them to let me know what stupid cupcakes they have accross the street than what they actually have on tap for beer.

I also think their beer events aren't as good as many other places in the state. If memory serves, they may not have even had an event for CT Beer Week last week.

Also, it's not hard to find better taplists without going that much further.

I've rarely had a positive experience there.

6. blckout20

blckout20 May 24, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Where did you see this on their FB page? I'm having trouble finding a tap list for Eli's.

7. PenningtonNY10

Hmm, that's interesting. I really like the place, though I haven't been in love with some of their beer prices. I'm no beer industry person, so I don't know how beer gets priced when it makes it way on tap, but I still felt at times certain "premium" beers were a bit high for my taste.

For being 15 or so minutes from my central CT location I very much like the place. Cool hangout. The "beach" out back is prime hangout material in the spring and summer. And I love the food.

Their tastings are OK, but better when a local representative is on hand to * and give out the free samples. Their Sixpoint event/tap takeover in March was an absolute blast.

8. PenningtonNY10

It was definitely on their Facebook yesterday. Don't see it anymore. They don't post their updated tap list often enough. Sometimes they seem to get into a habit of doing it and then other weeks they forget.

Anyways, I think BCBCS was $15 for a 10 oz pour the last time they had it.

9. bootdown21

bootdown21 May 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It is on their twitter feed from yesterday.

$15 for BCBCS seems extreme... when it was on at Wood n Tap in the winter, it was like $8 or $10 if I remember correctly...

sandman3479 likes this.
  10. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Selling cupcakes is obviously more important than updating a taplist for a beer bar...

And when BCBCS was first released, it was on tap at My Place in Newtown a mere 30 minutes away. At My Place you got 2 more ounces (usually more with liberal pours) for $8 or $9. Oh, and great bartenders and service.

11. blckout20

blckout20 May 24, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I was going to head down...but $15/10 oz is well beyond what I'd consider reasonable. I'll save that $$$ for my next ride down to NEBCO or up to Jack's Abby.

sandman3479 likes this.
  12. xanok

Beer Trader

It's not my favorite beer bar, but it is very close by my house, which is one of the main reasons I'm there pretty often. I'm not sure I understand your dislike for the bartenders/service there. They're generally not beer experts, but they are attentive, polite, and I always get a proper pour there. I've never had a billing issue there either.
    As far as their taps, I too think there is room for improvement, and I agree that the $15 price tag on BCBS is high. However, most of the rest of the time, their pricing is fair, and sometimes even cheap on the cheap side.
    Out of the 30-something taps, I generally find at least a few things to drink. It's not like they are all put to waste on Thomas Hooker beers or something. They regularly have NEBC special releases too.
    So anyways, I think Eli's is sort of a mixed bag is what I'm getting at.

13. xanok

Beer Trader

As others have stated in this thread, it is $15 a pour. This price tag generally scares off most people, so it is possible it will still be there Sunday.

14. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

agreed, honestly i think they've sucked for about 5 years. food isn't bad, and yeah i'd go there over some BS macro bar (ie almost every bar in CT), but i'd rather hit something like plan b or local places that have olde burnside or various random craft options. middletown has to have a competitor with eli cannon by now, right?

sandman3479 likes this.
  15. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I get that it's your local, and that's why you're defending it. In terms of the bartenders, every time I've been there, they've been douchey and disinterested. For table service, the last time I was there, my waiter seemed incompetent and was rather annoying.

The pricing is decent there on some things, not cheap. They get ANYTHING that sniffs of "rare" from outside of CT and their prices spike. The list (which is rarely posted to the public) usually does have a few beers worth trying, but who would know since you never know what the taplist is.

Which circles back to Eli's being in the craft cupcake business as opposed to the craft beer business...

16. PenningtonNY10

To be fair, Eli's doesn't technically own the cupcake place across the street. They are more like partners...or even less than that. So if on Facebook you see cupcake lists or whatever it's because they're just sharing a status.

17. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I understand, but it seems like that is their priority over posting their draft list. What would you say the ratio is? 3/1 cupcake updates at best? Probably more like 7/1, if that.

18. PenningtonNY10

What I am saying is they are different people. But I am not defending them, they should post their draft list every single day like a place like Prime 16 does. It's good business practice.

Oh and at least they have menus with the pricing on them now. They used to just have the chalk boards. I remember getting a bill for a $10 Burton Baton awhile back and was left scratching my head.

19. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Are the menus with prices new? The last time I was there was towards the end of the NFL season and stopped in for a pint to watch the end of a game, and ordered an Evil Twin pale ale. They brought me a small pour and said "$12 please". I know Evil Twin is pricey, but that's just silly.

20. PenningtonNY10

LOL my friend had the same affliction with Evil Twin and he had no idea who they were. He's not as into beer as I am. I don't want to guess, but yeah it's new in the last year because the time I got that Burton Baton was the day before my birthday in 2012. It helps. KBS was $11 I think. I was OK with that because I couldn't find bottles or draft anywhere else. But Doom was $12 and I was like naaaaaah.

21. Pahn

Beer Trader

KBS $11, doom $12, good god. yeah, eli cannon's is a dump. god forbid you provide a service at a reasonable price and win customers and acclaim. "no thanks, i need to screw you out of $5 now instead." maybe they're heroin addicts and they need cash quick.

22. sandman3479

Beer Trader

KBS for $11, while not great, isn't as offensive as $15 for BCBCS or $12 for Doom.

Then again, what do you expect when you send a craft cupcake company to do a craft beer bar's job???

23. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Hahaha too perfect. My Place just had it on for $8, I think. Maybe $7. And, occasionally they "forget" and give you a pint.

24. PenningtonNY10

25. Pahn

Beer Trader

total robbery.

...have to admit though,

$5 undercover shutdown (16oz)
    $4 bengali tiger (16oz -not a great IPA, but that's 10 years ago pricing)
    $5 hoptimum (11oz)
    $5 levitation (16oz)
    $6 FIS (11oz)
    $5 apollo (16oz -sixpoint's *good* beer)

pretty damn good, at least compared to boston and NY pricing. competitive with prime 16, who have drastically more rare/good beer at reasonable prices, but who are probably a dollar or two higher on some of those (e.g. undercover shutdown).

26. PenningtonNY10

Yeah, they always have some good deals. Just hate when they jack up a premium beer like that.

27. ILOVESTOUTS

ILOVESTOUTS Apr 13, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I am very biased in this thread, so I will keep my homerism at a minimum.

Pricing for harder to come by beers is jacked, but I can say I have seen groups of Wesleyan students plow through kegs of limited stuff before. Not a defense, but when speaking about pricing with Eli's, they jack the price in hopes of allowing more people a shot at a limited beer and will cut the price on other more available beers. Not a perfect system, but at least sheds some light on the topic.

28. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I see the quandry, but I'm not sure that's the best answer.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe