Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

BCS has arrived

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by billywan, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Jan 25, 2012 Illinois

It is all gone within an hour of it arriving. Right place, right time, unless you're on a list.

BreakingBad likes this.
  2. CanisMajor

CanisMajor Oct 24, 2012 Indiana

That's what I assumed. I'm on a list in NW IN, was hoping I can get lucky and find a bottle of coffee.

3. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

"Murica"

Or am I quoting the wrong person? Which is to say I hope (sincerely!) you enjoy the 3 bottles. Most folks won't even get one, no matter how well they know the local beer guy.

4. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

thanks. I shared the first one with 6 other people a couple days ago and it was amazing. No matter what I never drink a bottle to myself (Idk who can) I always share with friends and family. It's a damn good beer.

5. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Brilliant move, then. Glad you worked hard enough to get yourself on the list for Cherry Rye. Or lists, rather. Have you managed to scrounge up 8 bottles yet? Because that's not absurd. Certainly not when this beer is so limited.

mcc1654 and nachos like this.
  6. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

so you are being sarcastic? I still don't think 8 is out of the question. I didn't get near that and I don't have a problem with it. I honestly think people should be able to get as hard as they try. If you don't get any oh well, there will be other great beers. I remember there was a guy on here complaining he didn't get any cherry rye and he ended up getting a Rare at binny's lp. It's karma man, I may have scored a couple this time but I bet there's gonna be beers in my future I won't get and i'm okay with that. It's just beer man.

7. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Sep 17, 2012

person infront of me offered cause she didn't want to buy her allotment. I was gonna wait till 3 to buy the extra four but I took her up on her offer instead. Everyone that wanted darkness got it. the wristbands didn't sell out till 11

8. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

Step 1: Acquire large quantities of rare beer by trying very hard
    Step 2: Tell everyone else it's "just beer"

9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

my extreme luck in the raffle does not excuse the greed of others.

harrylee773 likes this.
  10. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Ticket 91?

11. tinypyramids

96 - only got a rare, not the dude who won three things

MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Jun 17, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

"only" got a rare ;) I was one number off.....18 got my rare...... ughhhhhh

BreakingBad and tinypyramids like this.
  13. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

:D :biglaugh:

Breaking Bad is my favorite Beeradvocate member......Every post is better than the last.

He SCREAMS Dekalb resident........Truly the defenition of a life long Dekalb resident.
    Gotta love this town!!!

.....But on topic.....Having already had this years coffee and cherry....I'm sick of them both. Regular BCS is where its at.

14. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Jun 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Landed a coffee today when i got back to town, pure luck they had two behind the counter....keep the faith BA's

15. tinypyramids

hah. don't let the wording of my post make me sound any less grateful. i'm a lucky bastard, and it won't be traded.

Vav and Flabbyjandro like this.
  16. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

I hate it when I only get a Rare :(

17. Samjuan12

Beer Trader

CHERISH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know you will)

:D

tinypyramids likes this.
  18. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

ftfy

places i looked around got about 5 to 10 cases of coffee versus 1 case of cherry. i'd imagine coffee will be much easier to get. that being said, those places were sold out when i asked for it, except for one place.

tinypyramids likes this.
  19. Samjuan12

Beer Trader

If i wasn't so drunk off of old rip van winkle right now I probably would have been on top of that.... thanks for fixing that.

Cheers!

apocalypsezombie likes this.
  20. Vav

Vav Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

91 was not the apex of the bell curve...this one couple won 5 items between them.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  21. Tnudish

Tnudish Feb 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Saw them walking out with their haul, pretty impressive pulls.

22. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I was told yesterday that there are additional shipments of Cherry Rye that will be hitting distro this week, so keep the faith everyone. Having been out of town for the big releases this weekend, 'keep the faith' has been my mantra for the past week. Congrats to those who were able to grab a bottle!

Also, as of yesterday afternoon there was a case of Coffee still available at Milk & More (702 West Diversey). It was $29.99 a bomber, which seems to be a bit on the high end based on the pricing listed in this thread.

23. redsand22

redsand22 Mar 17, 2010 Illinois

I have some coffee if anyone has a cherry or 2 they want to trade.

24. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

I'm really surprised by the high prices I'm seeing people pay for Coffee. I've gotten several bottles, and all but one have been for less than $14.99, which was the one I bought from Castle Vav ($19.99) on Friday, which I almost passed on at that price, but hell, I was there with a wad of cash anyway. :rolleyes:

25. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anything over $20 is ridiculous for bcbcs ($20 is bad enough), considering the price last year was $12-13. I called some places in the West burbs Saturday and everyone wanted $23-25 for bcbcs so I would laugh and hang up.

da_bulls and dvelcich like this.
  26. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

I'll personally max out at about $20ish pre-tax.

27. Monsone

Monsone Jun 5, 2006 Illinois

As was mentioned somewhere earlier, the places selling it for less than $14.99 probably are smaller stores that didn't check their wholesale price when they received the product. The wholesale price increased substantially, but the Mom and Pop's sometimes don't update the price when they already have the UPC in their system.

If Vav was selling it for $19.99 that should be probably taken as the low for the city. The burbs MAY be slightly lower, but only based on sales and other county and municipality type taxes.

ravot and MarkIntihar like this.
  28. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Jun 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Whole Foods was $14.99. I would think they check their wholesale pricing fairly closely.

29. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Jan 18, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I can attest that this statement is not true( not the 15 case part). I picked up a bottle of Coffee last week and they told me next week on the Cherry Rye and that shop just called me to confirm my bottle of Cherry Rye arrived today.

30. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would put it closer to 100 cases.

31. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agreed.

In my huntings so far in the burbs:
    Standard Market 18.99
    Binnys Willowbrook 19.99
    Prestige Liquors 27.99!!!

EDIT: This is for pricing info only... These are stores that had it on friday

32. Monsone

Monsone Jun 5, 2006 Illinois

I would think they would too, but how many cases have you ever seen the price at Whole Foods to be 25% lower than Binnys?

33. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Jun 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Zero to this point. Could be an oversight... they also asked me how many I wanted when I came to pick up my bottle from the waiting list after they called me. #newbeerguy ?

34. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

One of the stores I went to didn't get BCBCS last year, and the owner told me he had to check his invoices first to determine how much to sell it for. He charged $12.99.

35. beeronthesun

beeronthesun Jan 31, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

At my friend's store in the city, he showed me the invoice when the distro dropped it off. The cost to him per bottle was a little over $14, putting $20 retail at a pretty standard markup. It's going to vary by distributor, and I'm guessing some of them decided to mark it up themselves.

36. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

anyone heard any news on suburban distro this week?

Ive done some digging... Naperville binnys said this thurs maybe, same with malloys. I think they use the same distro as DG binnys. None of them have even gotten coffee yet from what I know.

I know plainfield/bbrook binnys already got coffee and its gone, along with most places in the westmont/willowbrook area

37. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

not always the case and they may turn a blind eye. depending on the buyer/location. i've seen both prices and the reg is 19.99. you were fortunate at 14.99. others at 12.99 from what i've seen.

38. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Jan 18, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I bought Coffee for 12.99 and Cherry for 14.99, which is very reasonable from everything else I have seen.

39. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If anyone's desperate enough, Foremost on Kedzie's got them for $25.99

40. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

If anyone has any Cherry Rye for trade, shoot me a message. Semi-promised a bottle for a tasting this coming weekend and struck out by one person in line :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe