Be kind to each other.

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

There's a lot of anxiety, stress, uncertainty, misinformation, and opinions as a result of the global coronavirus pandemic. Businesses are struggling and some won't make it. People will lose their jobs and many already have. Many are sick, will get sick, or worse. And many of us are feeling isolated right now.

With that in mind, I have a simple ask. Think before posting. Try to be compassionate and understanding. Be kind to each other.

And please be safe out there.

Sincerely,

Todd

2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,365) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Todd, as always, I love you. And to my fellow BAs, I love you, too. Peace, from the Hunter.

3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (775) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

That's exactly the calm, measured, rationale response of someone who has hoarded all of our toilet paper.

4. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Savant (972) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

@Todd It's hard to not make light of this situation, but I get you. I get it for what it is.

5. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

There was a two limit per customer in my area. Couldn't hoard even if I wanted to. :rofl:

Billolick, 2beerdogs, ReDave and 24 others like this.
  6. ianskate

ianskate Initiate (49) Sep 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

Thanks for a much needed post. Also, if there's one thing we can all be thankful for... it's delicious beer to keep ourselves occupied while stuck inside. Hopefully!

7. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,517) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for this post, boss.

About France, we are on a lockdown starting this Tuesday by noon for 15 days likely to be extended. Medical appointments, going to the pharmacy and running errands is still allowed. Otherwise we are forced to seclusion.

We will pull through, read books, watch Netflix, take care as much as possible of an isolated relative, maybe even a neighbor.

While this crisis is sometimes bringing the worst of humanity, ie; racism against Asians or the overall panic purchase in supermarkets, act of kindness and solidarity will bring the best of it too.

Humanity has survived far worst whether pandemic or world wars. Times are tough, but we shall make it. Be safe all BAs!

quadmad, Roy_Hobbs, BruChef and 41 others like this.
  8. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (437) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well said @Todd

We should be kind to everyone everyday, but especially in struggling times like these. Cheers!

nicholas2121, Premo88, cfh64 and 17 others like this.
  9. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,816) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

All I hope (well, other than people staying safe) is that we limit the talk of politics, and very bad, beaten like a dead horse toilet paper jokes.

Cheers.

Premo88, 2beerdogs, hottenot and 13 others like this.
  10. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Zealot (517) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

At least you can get 2. We haven't seen TP since last week on any shelves.:poop:

11. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,037) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We live in a great park and always walk a bunch. Lately folks have been very kind and easy-going. More people are out than ever before. They just may learn to love this place as much as I have for over 60 years. Just don't go to Costco or Wal Mart.

12. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,307) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Good advice

be kind

be safe

Thanks to all on BA

13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,934) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Why I love the beer/Liquor community, we all seem to weather the storm with a level headed mind. Case in point, I ran to total wine a day ago and it was complete order. Everyone was kind, respectful, and in a great mood. I noticed the stark difference from folks across the way at Costco attacking each other for TP. If more folks would just relax some like our community it would be one big party verse one big panic.
    My advice, sip some beers and relax. Enjoy a book, watch a movie, talk to friends/family and just chill out. Panic is not necessary and hording is beyond not necessary. Be kind and if you see someone who needs help lend it to them, one day you may be in their shoes.
    Cheers :beers::beers:

14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,037) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We live in a great parkland and folks have been great lately. More people are out and will likely come to love this place as I have for over 60 years. Don't go to Costco or Wal Mart. Cheers all!

15. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Disciple (389) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

This post is very appropriate... Spread the love and show respect.

We must all remember the golden rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated ..

16. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,563) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

So @scream can't bust @vabeerguy's balls now on WBAYDN?? And vice versa?? I hate this Wuhan virus!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

17. scream

scream Meyvn (1,091) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Sure I can ! It's a back and forth and I have total respect for the man known as @vabberguy / Mike. ! !

18. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,824) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

@scream may comply because he is a nice guy but I am still on the fence about it.

Stay safe my friends.

19. not2quick

not2quick Devotee (483) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

"Being kind to each other" is a motto I live my life by. Unfortunately not everyone does. Hopefully the kind will prevail.

20. Beginner2

Beginner2 Poo-Bah (3,183) Feb 14, 2016 Illinois
    Society

Let's run Todd for President !

hottenot and vabeerguy like this.
  21. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Well said.

As long as I can get food and cat litter I think we should be ok for now. Probably could use some TP. I knew I should have made the buy 3 packs get a $5 gift card purchase at Target the other week.

Just found out a super micro local is going to be selling to go beer. They just started to can. I’m going over as soon as they open later this week. The owner is friends with a friend of mine and if a 4 pack or two helps him out I’m good.

Stay safe and smart

Enjoy

22. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (164) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

I'm always kind

hottenot and SLeffler27 like this.
  23. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (354) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Okay.

hottenot likes this.
  24. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (841) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Well said, @Todd .....

Peace out people and stay calm and safe out there.....if anything, we should be hoarding beer (wait, what?), not tp!

Breathe, stop and smell the flowers, and drink good beer and look out for yourselves and one another - this too shall pass....

Ohio closed all bars and restaurants last night, so all the locals who will be selling "to go beer" and food, need our support to pull through this crazy time we find ourselves in.....

Uplifting story today - worth a read....

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200...self-quarantining-during-coronavirus-pandemic

meanmutt, hottenot, rbowser and 4 others like this.
  25. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,514) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Be kind
    Stay safe
    Drink beer

26. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (803) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Well said, it's going to be a very difficult time for everyone over the next year all around the world.

I guess I'm not the only one who wished they bought a bidet for their bathroom now ...

27. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,056) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Nicely put, cheers Sir

28. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,515) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Charlie Papazian's words could not ring more true right now: "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew [or any well crafted beer]"

hottenot, PapaGoose03, scream and 4 others like this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Yes!
    We will get through this even better if, when we speak our mind, we do it with compassion, and remember to be kind

hottenot, Bitterbill, scream and 4 others like this.
  30. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,600) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Society

We are all in this together. Stay safe BA community.

31. SILVER

SILVER Devotee (449) Jan 3, 2007 Florida
    Society

I went to Total Wine yesterday and found it as you described. On top of that I found a bottle of Thomas Hardy ale just sitting out in the open. I gave it a good deserving home. Will cellar it though!

32. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (300) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Cracked me up, and I shouldn't be laughing as I'm down to my last roll. (Missed out on the hoarding frenzy.)

But Todd, very well said. Folks tend to come together in emergencies and, maybe, when all is said and done, that's the case here.

33. ElGallo

ElGallo Savant (954) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Stocking up on more toilet paper and food than you really need: silly.
    Stocking up on more beer than you really need: very, very wise.
    I saw an article last week about Doomsday Preppers getting their propers now after being laughed at when Y2K rolled through. So does this mean those of us with foolishly large beer cellars should feel justified? :wink:
    JK. Be safe and be kind BA - and crack open some vintage bottles!

#33 ElGallo, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  34. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,224) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

35. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Poo-Bah (1,603) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

“Be kind to each other” From a distance of at least 6 feet.

36. kjlcm

kjlcm Aspirant (205) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

I can’t even look at the internet because of all the doom and gloom out there. This post is the best thing I have read in a while. Thanks BA for being one our happy places. We will survive!

hottenot, Todd, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  37. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,302) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Maybe if you had been a bit more supportive of the #linelife culture, you would have figured out a way to circumvent that measly allocation by now. :wink:

hottenot and FBarber like this.
  38. bilbobrewer

bilbobrewer Disciple (320) Jul 16, 2014 Oregon

As with everything, this could be a teaching (and thus learning) moment.

Here's one lesson:

This is the precisely the kind of moment you need to have a government.
    And America doesn't.

39. tomciccateri

tomciccateri Disciple (395) Jun 26, 2004 New Mexico
    Society

Occasionally there will be some positive news:
    "New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Says Restaurants And Bars Can Sell Alcohol To Go After Bar Shutdown"

hottenot, rbowser, scream and 2 others like this.
  40. fordchap

fordchap Initiate (4) Jan 5, 2020

Well said Todd, lots of information to digest and people struggling, you put a smile on our faces. Peace!

hottenot and riptorn like this.