Beachwood BBQ & Brewing Anniversary today!

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by UnknownKoger, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (511) Jul 9, 2010 California

[​IMG]

Beachwood Brewing Tap List:
    3rd Dimension - Belgian-Style Tripel
    Alpha Supreme - American Pale Ale
    Alpha Waves - Session IPA
    Annihilator - American Barleywine
    Beyond a Reasonable Stout - Imperial Oatmeal Stout
    Breaker - Hoppy Pale Ale
    Bulldog - Dry Irish Stout
    Chainsaaz Massacre - Imperial Pilsner
    Control Malt Delete - Dark Mild
    Dubbel In Paradise - Belgian-Style Dubbel
    El Verano - Belgian-Style Saison
    Foam Top - Cream Ale
    Glenlongbeach - Scottish-Style “80 Schilling”
    Greenshift - Double IPA
    Hop Jitsu - West Coast India Pale Ale
    Hoppa Smurf - Belgian-Style IPA
    Hops of Brixton - Extra Special Bitter
    James - American Brown Ale
    Knucklehead Red -American Red Ale
    Kilgore - American Stout
    Loma Prieta - German-Style Pilsner
    Melrose - West Coast India Pale Ale
    Mocha Machine - Imperial Chocolate Coffee Porter
    Onyx - Imperial Stout
    Rose Royce - Belgian-Style Saison
    Ryeco Suave - Belgian-Style Saison
    Still Life - Smoked Double Oat Stout
    Table Saaz - Belgian-Style Bière de Table
    Tart Simpson - German-Style Berliner Weisse
    Udder Love - Milk Stout
    Wholly Smoke - Smoked Porter
    Zwick In a Box - German-Style Zwickelbier

Beachwood Brewing Special Casks:
    Beyond a Reasonable Stout with Cacao, Coconut, and Vanilla Bean on cask
    Full Malted Jacket with Scotch Oak on cask - Scotch Ale
    Melrose IPA with Amarillo and Simcoe on cask
    Melrose IPA with Citra on cask
    Melrose IPA with Mosaic on cask

Beachwood Brewing Rare Beers:
    8 Buffalo - Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
    Barrel-Aged Jean-Quan Van Damme - Belgian-Style Quadrupel
    System of a Stout - Armenian Imperial Coffee Stout
    Tovarish - Imperial Coffee Stout

Beachwood Brewing Collaborations:
    Ghost of Jacob Barley - Strong Ale Aged on Coffee w/ Spices: Noble Ale Works Collaboration
    Mrs. Stoutfire - Imperial Stout Smoked and Oaked: The Bruery Collaboration
    Spicy Chocolate Alliance - Imperial Porter with Chili and Chocolate: Drake’s Brewing Collaboration
    Unapologetic - Double India Pale Ale: Stone Brewing & Heretic Brewing Collaboration

JohnCassillo likes this.
  2. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (619) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

How busy is it?

3. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

It's a nightmare. Way too busy.

4. freshflesh

freshflesh Aspirant (214) Nov 27, 2013 California

Wish I wasn't working today.

5. UnknownKoger

Holy crap it was nuts. Got there a little after noon. Waited for about 30 minutes to get in. Had a Greenshift, Mocha Machine, Full Malted Jacket and Melrose on cask. All were fantastic. Didn't bother with food. My buddy asked what the projected wait was for a table at around 1230, and they said 4-5 hours. Holy crap

6. dcgunman

dcgunman Zealot (580) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Got there around 15 minutes before 10am. Line was about 70-80 deep waiting for the doors to open. Crazy. Got inside around 1020 or so. Took another 10 before we ordered from the bar. Stood outside in the patio area (no table) for an hour. Finally got to a standing only table outside before we got called to a table inside at noon. No food ordered yet. By this time we had a pint of Greenshift DIPA and Melrose w Citra on Cask and another Greenshift. We put our order in for food around 1215 and 15 minutes went by when we were told that the kitchen wasn't ready to cook the special "lunch" menu. Luckily we had the pickle bar (that was good) to munch on when we were told that the "special" lunch menu would not be ready till 1pm. Finished up our 2nd Greenshift glass and was on our way out the door to the pizza joint next door. 3 hours in and with 2 and half glasses of Julians beers and BW's pickled delight I was starving.
    I think Gabe, Julian and Lena was "way" over in their heads on this 3rd Anniversary event. As always great beers were flowing throughout. I remember last year getting there around 1pm or so and getting a table outside within 10 minutes. Food and beer ordered no problem. Left after 2 hours no problem. Feeling satisfied. This year. . . .totally opposite. Don't get me wrong, I love BW. Been a "BIG" supporter for the last 7 years. But this year was different. Great beers. Great turnout. Good service. Not so good on the food menu service. Maybe they need to rethink on next years 4th event. Maybe do like Societe did this year and have a whole week of different events each day. After all, its only going to get bigger and better. Which means more people.

7. luisc123

luisc123 Initiate (173) Oct 20, 2011 California

Yikes. Kinda glad I didn't go this morning like I intended. Sounds almost like a Churchill's Anniversary level of craziness. If I get a chance, I'm stopping by later tonight and hopefully some good beer will still be on tap.

8. leechaduh

leechaduh Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 California

Really did not expect the event to be as busy as it was. I don't think Beachwood did either. The line was something like 150 deep by opening, and we had to wait 2.5 hours for a table, being somewhere near the first people on the waiting list. They didn't enforce the 2 hour limit on tables, and literally nobody was leaving. Saw a lot of people keep adding to tables and start fresh orders of food toward the tail end of the two hours. One hostess in front working with wait-staff to get people seated. Checked every thirty minutes to see where we were on the list. People after us start getting seated, so I go up, and the hostess gives me a stink-eye and tells me she called me twice. Nope, standing ten feet away the whole time. :(

Staff seemed overwhelmed. I think this was greatly exacerbated by the fact that bottle sales, cask bar, and pickle bar was added to their already 40 deep taplist. Security seemed to be outsourced as well. 3/5 special casks kicked within the first 3 hours. The food was taking a while to catch up with the beer, so a lot of people were drinking heavily on empty stomaches. Food and beer were the highlights, organization and service delivery could have used a bit more fine tuning. Our waitress had a great amount of difficulty getting out food/drink/bill out correctly. Anyway, the BaRS cask was great and so was the Mosaic Melrose. The hoppy pale ales are all fantastic and had a pour of the Tovarish which was excellent too. Beers are really flawless.

I would recommend going around lunch tomorrow. Did it last year and were the only people at the brewpub with 95% of the taplist still going. Please leave your kids/dogs at home for this one. Saw one too many kids falling asleep on daddy's lap while waiting a good couple of hours for breakfast.

dcgunman likes this.
  9. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

I love Beachwood, but they just hit the anniversary where they need to change the format. All breweries have the one shitshow anniversary when demand skyrockets, and I have faith Beachwood will return with a new format next year. This didn't work today, at all, and I look forward to a brand new situation for next year.

10. ADfan

ADfan Aspirant (228) Nov 28, 2010 California
    Subscriber

First off I agree it was a madhouse today and the crew needs to look into changes for next year.
    My buddy and I arrived at 11:15 and had to wait about 30 minutes to get inside. Once inside we did our usual plan where I ordered the first flight for us while he tried to find a table. Yes I know that sounds crazy but he quickly found a party of two who let us share a table in the bar area. As soon as I brought the brews back to the table we ordered food off the regular menu. Amazingly it only took 15 minutes. We enjoyed two more flights and some eggs and had a great time. We've been to all three events and this was by far the busiest and craziest but will probably go to #4.

11. womencantsail

womencantsail Poo-Bah (5,830) May 25, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

I was really shocked at how packed it was. Each of the last two years I've showed up early afternoon and had no problem getting in and getting a place to sit within a handful of minutes. I got there at 11 this year and had to wait in line to get in line, so I knew it wasn't going to be a terribly efficient day. That said, all the bar staff were working their asses off and it didn't take me long to get pours of anything. I got a quick flight and a couple of cask pours and left around 12:30 and the line was pretty much already wrapped around to the end of the patio.

I don't think that Beachwood really did anything wrong here, as I don't think they could have foreseen the exponential growth in attendance from either of the first two years to this year. I'm sure there were some annoyances throughout the day, but I don't know how much I can fault any of the staff given how they were getting totally slammed all morning and afternoon.

12. MiScusi

MiScusi Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not Beachwood and I wasn't there today, but I could see it coming from miles away.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  13. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (336) Jun 11, 2009 California

I agree with previous posters that there was a lot of demand today. However, I think there is nothing but good to come of it. I too have been a loyal Beachwood fan since near the beginning, and I was not surprised at the turnout in the slightest. It seemed as though the staff and owners were anticipating this and things seemed to be running smoothly by 1pm. Seemed to be the case of an awesome brewery taking the next step in terms of recognition (several people I randomly talked to were there by word of mouth/hype). Nothing but better things to come for Beachwood in my opinion; hopefully they can satisfy more people's expectations next year, but I expect them to adjust accordingly

14. JNBeer

JNBeer Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Do you guys recall what bottles were being sold?

15. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

System of a Stout. Melrose. Still Life. Greenshift.

Zerric likes this.
  16. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (108) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Greenshift, Melrose, System of a Stout and Still Life.

17. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Zealot (544) Mar 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I decided to skip the Long Beach event and drove down to Seal Beach instead -- much less crowded, and some of the other people there ended up leaving the Long Beach event due to how insane it was.

While Seal Beach didn't have that enormous selection of beers above, still got to try Greenshift (absolutely delicious).

18. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (518) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

It's pretty clear that next year needs tweaking to the system and a different approach since it was clearly to out of their hands for its own good. Wait times at the bar were really all over the place. Even trying to get a table around 3 was a three hour wait.

But the pours were amazing and the fact that they still had system for sale was great news. Greenshift is damn tasty indeed.

dcgunman likes this.
  19. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (271) Nov 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I got there around 9:45 and we were seated by 10:15. I knew about the 2 hour limit on tables before we got there but was interested to see how they would enforce it. They kind of did with the tables in my area at least. I don't think they would have tried to kick people out if they resisted or anything but I'd say we stayed about half an hour over our limit. But that was because they took awhile to get some food out for us.

Either way, I had no problems with the event but can see it needing some changes. I was just glad I decided to get their early.

20. TTC

TTC Initiate (75) Jul 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I lagged and got there towards 5:30pm. Waited about 45 mins for a table while sipping a few pints. It was admittedly crowded, but lightened up a bit by then. There were times where I walked straight up to the bar for a pint.

Greenshift was delicious. As was Mocha Machine. 8 Buffalo was a bit boozy. Pickle bar and food was awesome - spaghetti stuffed meatballs! Left with a growler of Melrose. Great job BWBBQ - lived up to expectations!

21. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Disciple (304) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Beyond a Reasonable Stout w/ Cacao, Coconut and Vanilla Bean on Cask.

Worth navigating the madness for that alone.

Original_Fake likes this.
  22. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (271) Nov 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Incredible beer. As was the Melrose with Citra. My two favorites from the day for sure.

23. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Devotee (480) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

it was crowded as fuck but i was kind of expecting it. had a lot of fun with my friends. had to wait a long time to get a table, but it's hard to complain when you're drinking world class beers?

24. JayORear

JayORear Zealot (554) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone have an extra Greenshift or two? I'm in SF right now and could bring you back a Cellarmaker growler by the end of the week.

25. manny90

manny90 Initiate (139) Feb 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Oh man I was there this weekend, Afraid of the Dank and Mo' Nelson are great!

26. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

i was going to get a bunch of Melrose and Greenshift but was with a bunch of drunken revelers who wanted to go to another "club" after Beachwood and I didn't want to drag along a bunch of bottles with me, at said club

27. ESCO138

ESCO138 Aspirant (233) Dec 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I had a good time, waited appx. 20-30 minutes in line, put my name down for food [took about 90 minutes] drank Melrose, Alpha Supreme, System of A Stout and 8 Buffalo while watching the Costa Rica v. Holland game then had the pickle bar and meatballs w/spaghetti.

Going up to the bar to grab a beer took no longer than 2-3 minutes. Overall I think it was a great event and can't wait for next year. I mean things could be worse, I could fly to Santa Rosa or Tampa Florida wait 7+ hours in line for a beer I never had a chance to get, that right there is a shit show.

28. gregoryG

gregoryG Aspirant (207) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Lol...what "club" did you go to?

29. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

think it was called paradise castle or something. i am not proud. they did not have any craft on tap either

gregoryG likes this.
  30. icepick

icepick Initiate (125) Feb 17, 2008 California

You mean fantasy castle and dont be ashamed that is s fine institution there

Zerric, Black_Rider and ESCO138 like this.
  31. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

Fantasy Castle is a fine establishment and the perfect place to venture to after enjoying Beachwood beer.

Zerric and Black_Rider like this.
  32. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

well, i didn't hate every minute of it, i will admit to that. when we arrived though they were playing UFC for the first 20 or 30 minutes. that was lame, but afterwards it got better. i think everyone had fun

33. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (11,900) Mar 18, 2010 California

Ah, the strip club eh?

34. drewone

drewone Meyvn (1,378) Sep 18, 2006 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Is greenshift seeing distro or only ar BWB?

35. funbutt88

funbutt88 Initiate (55) May 22, 2006 California

Limited distro. Bottles at Ramirez Liquor today.

36. UnknownKoger

Stearns got some today

37. Zerric

Zerric Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 California

Palms of nothing

38. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (489) Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

A complete nightmare. Without the Mohave heat wave, it wouldn't of been quite as bad. To add insult to injury, congregation had a turrribblee tap list when those who gave up on Beachwood went over...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe