Beachwood BBQ. Which one?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Curb71, May 2, 2014.

?

Which Beachwood BBQ do you prefer?

1. Long Beach

59.2%
  2. Seal Beach

11.8%
  3. It's a tie!

6.6%
  4. Never been

13.2%
  5. Can't compare the two

3.9%
  6. Can't choose just one

2.6%
  7. There's one in Seal Beach?

2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

If you could only go to one, which would it be? Is there anything that one offers that the other does not?

2. luisc123

luisc123 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2011 California

Long Beach, easily. It's bigger, and has a ton more beers on tap.

3. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (940) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

4. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (681) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

what he said

if it's only about the beer, then check out their Hop Cam first: http://www.beachwoodbbq.com/hopcam.html

Madirish76 likes this.
  5. booglez

booglez Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 California

Kinda like asking do your prefer your son or daughter?
    LB is much bigger, more space, more beers, just a different vibe from SB.
    SB will always feel like home. Miss Kyle though!!

6. JigsawRecords

JigsawRecords Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2011 California

Highly recommend the Alesmith/Cigar City collabo... available at both spots now!

7. jamesar

jamesar Initiate (159) Mar 13, 2012 California

Seal Beach is nice but usually pretty busy because of it's small size. I'd choose Long Beach for the fact that it has more space and more house beers available.

8. ESCO138

ESCO138 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 California

Long Beach because of the space and parking. It seems they hold more events there also, oh yea and I work 5 minutes away.

9. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 California

Depends whats on tap...

UnknownKoger likes this.
  10. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (571) Jul 9, 2010 California

^^^ definitely. I love both locations. SB has a cozy, homey vibe and the food options are a little beefier. I like going there for lunch. LB is great because it has a bigger tap selection and more space. I couldn't decide

11. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Initiate (107) Jun 30, 2009 California

I agree with this. But I go to LB a lot more because of all the house beers. Currently SB has 3 Beachwood beers on and LB has 17. Even with all the great guest taps most of the time I'm drinking Beachwood stuff.

UnknownKoger and Obsidian like this.
  12. OTB

OTB Devotee (489) Sep 2, 2011 California

Both, for very different reasons.

Cheers,

errantnight likes this.
  13. errantnight

errantnight Savant (930) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Seal Beach has a better feel, to me, and I find the food to be much more consistent there. If you're going to eat... that's for sure my recommendation. Sentimentally, it's also my favorite, for sure.

Long Beach is fun in its own right, much less hassle in finding a space to settle in, plus a larger selection of beers (most importantly, a larger selection of Julian's incredible beers). It's just generally more convenient to get to, as well, and despite my preference for Seal Beach it's the one I end up at most.

Really, you can't go wrong, though.

OTB likes this.
  14. UnknownKoger

yeah I mostly go to the LB one for the Beachwood beers unless if they have some amazing guest beer(s)

15. OTB

OTB Devotee (489) Sep 2, 2011 California

Spot on. SB is a cozy small town local pub feeling kind of place while LB is THE brewery and has a more hip urban industrial vibe going. We have been supporting them since the day they opened having a home in old town Seal beach when they moved into our old favorite taco joint back then, Hectors, best chicken taco's ever !, and we said, 'what the hell" lets see what they got. Well we all know now. I absolutely love both locals and we visit both regularly. However, when I am in need of growlers of Julians amazing hoppy beers I make the run to 3rd St to fill up for friends and family because that is where you get everything.

Cheers,

Curb71 likes this.
  16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

SB for the bottle list, LB for space and taps.

pmarlowe and vacax like this.
  17. MiScusi

MiScusi Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2005 California

HOUSE BEER

18. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 California

Are you planning on getting growler fills?

19. drewone

drewone Poo-Bah (1,571) Sep 18, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Almost said can't compare , but went with LB.

20. dcgunman

Trader

SB location is the original. If your going to visit LB then you should drive the 15-20 minute south to SB to get the full BW experience. Even though its alot smaller its the atmosphere you get that you don't at LB. And I will add the service is a lot better at SB than LB. Everytime I'm at LB there are a half dozen workers standing around talking and doing nothing while your waiting for service. Last time I was there for a growler fill the bartender (wont mention any names - dude) was very slow. I will go to the LB location for growler fills or for larger family/friends get together party. And it seems like everytime I go to the LB location there is a new face their. The SB location still has most of the workers/bartenders since I've been going every week the last 6 n half years. Yes Kyle has left but Kurt has fit in well at the SB location. Both locations are great in their own way. So no need to pick the favorite. Just hit up both locations while your in town.

Curb71 and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  21. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (164) Nov 22, 2010 California

I live closer to the SB location, but was going to LB because they discontinued the lamb ribs in SB. Now they took the lamb ribs off the menu in LB for some inexplicable reason, so now I'm boycotting both. Except to get growler fills. And bbq chicken nachos. And ribs.

OneBeertoRTA and dcgunman like this.
  22. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

don't forget the pickles.

embeevlos86, OTB and errantnight like this.
  23. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Seal Beach has far better taps 99% of the time. They also have the bottle list. The bottle list used to be insane but has since dwindled. Finally ran out of 09 BT. I used to drink DDG b1 religiously.

24. CraftyJoseph

CraftyJoseph Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2014 California

Long Beach without a doubt, plus congregation is right there

25. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Do they still have Dirty Beaver Juice Weekend?

26. OneBeertoRTA

Maybe if you know Gabe, but it isn't on the menu. God I loved that beer.

27. OneBeertoRTA

Kind of funny that the old manager from O Malley's took over. I remember him from my college days in the late 90s crushing car bombs and half and half's like they were going out of style.

Like others have said, the service at SB is superior although much of the staff is completely turned over from as recently as 2 years ago.

I loved the guy from SB that came over to LB as manager but quit soon after. I remember a few weeks after they opened him taking me back to meet Julian and check out the equipment. I also feel the cooks aren't as good at the Long Beach location. I've actually had staples that weren't up to snuff, whereas SB is batting like 1000/1000.

28. UnknownKoger

Yeah my girlfriend and I both noticed that. The food during lunch time at LB is significantly better than dinner. But SB is better for food overall

29. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

So SB doesn't do growler fills, smaller capacity, limited parking, and way less beers on tap? I guess the next time I'm driving through I'll have to stop at the LB location. Is Citraholic only bottled or is that available on tap/growler too? Do both locations have the same house beers about all the time? Now as far as food goes....bbq chicken nachos, ribs, with pickles is the clear winner?

30. UnknownKoger

1. Correct, but that doesn't necessarily mean SB has shit on tap. Their taplist is often pretty damn good

2. Citraholic is available both on tap/growlers and in bottles

3. LB has all of the currently available house beers on. SB will just have two or three (due to limited tap space)

4. Don't forget the smothered steak fries!

Curb71 likes this.
  31. booglez

booglez Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 California

You won't find better wings anywhere......
    Plus the tots with duck confit are insane

32. StGabe

StGabe Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2009 California

It depends on whether you're a bigger fan of Beachwood the brewery or Beachwood the beer bar/restaurant. If you're more interested in the brewery, Long Beach is the clear winner for growler fills, a deep selection of Beachwood beers and the ease of getting a table. If you're more interested in a cool beer restaurant experience, Seal Beach is the clear winner with more consistent food, better atmosphere, better guest beers (on average), a better bottle list, better food events and a higher likelihood of running into other beer geeks with bottles to share, etc.

What I really love about Beachwood is that it's a great place to have great beer, chat with regulars, out-of-towners and the bar staff and just have a great time. I'm glad Long Beach opened but mostly because it thinned out the crowd at the Seal Beach location just enough that I can more consistently get a seat at the bar. I've enjoyed going to Long Beach during some of the anniversary events, etc., but when I'm there it's not a place I feel like I need to go to often. Getting occasional tastes of the Beachwood releases is fine for me. Most of them come through Seal Beach at some point and there are only a few I'd actively seek out (Tovarish, System of a Stout, a couple of the better IPA's).

Curb71 likes this.
  33. ubiq3000

ubiq3000 Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 California

Anyone know when Melrose or Greenshift DIPA will be released?

34. jamesar

Greenshift is getting released on July 5th, I think they said that Melrose is coming back to bottles next Tuesday.

ubiq3000 likes this.
  35. dcgunman

Trader

N
    Next Tuesday and July 5.

36. ubiq3000

Could we expect any growler fills of either?

37. jamesar

More than likely, they will offer growler fills of Melrose but not for Greenshift.

38. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (553) Mar 26, 2013 California

i agree with what most have said. Seal Beach is homie, but i think sitting on the bar side is key. unless you're by the window, the other dining room is a little dark and unappealing in my opinion

39. ubiq3000

Does anyone know the bottle limit for Melrose tomorrow?

40. ubiq3000

Any word on the Unapologetic IPA?

dcgunman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.