Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

BeachWood BBQ

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by 01Ryan10, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Dec 21, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

2. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

Really? They crush Hill Farmstead and Russian River amongst others? Bold ass statement right thur.

bird22 likes this.
  3. vacax

vacax Jun 3, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Eh, I don't really consider Russian River to have a great diversity of styles. They do a few really well for sure, but they don't continually put out new beers in different styles. Hill Farmstead who knows, I don't have time to drive to Vermont etc. and try it all, though what I have had tends to be way overrated.

4. AptosBeerDrinker

Really?

And again...Really?

MiScusi and bird22 like this.
  5. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

Yeah, see, this is why people are accusing you of homerism. Russian River has 16 beers on tap right now, and only two are technically of the same style. You just don't see it because the other stuff doesn't get distributed. Much like Beachwood to anywhere outside of the brew pubs.

bird22 and rrryanc like this.
  6. AptosBeerDrinker

And just to be clear, I'm not saying Beachwood isn't amazing. Granted all I've had is Thrillseeker but I thought it was very good. My only point is when you say Beachwood CRUSHES every other brewery out there in terms of style diversity, my bullshit meter goes redline.

7. vacax

Beer Trader

Most of their pub beers are not so amazing really, eh

Yes, really, truly, madly, deeply. Beachwood would love you like that.

8. HopHead84

HopHead84 Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Down here I can think of Coffee Monster, Bacon & Eggs, Breakfast with Wilford, Track 10 (not repeatedly made, though), Suavecito (delicious but only once), Kopi Speedway, a few other Speedway variations. Am I forgetting any? Probably.

queens1130 and nanobrew like this.
  9. HopHead84

HopHead84 Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I love Beachwood's IPAs and I love Alpine's IPAs, but they have slightly different approaches. Beachwood's IPAs are typically highly bitter, while Alpine doesn't seem to aim for high IBUs. Both breweries make dry and deliciously hoppy IPAs, though.

rails, ORod, queens1130 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Xul

Xul May 18, 2008 California

Haha jesus...you've been spending too much time on /r/coffee if you don't think Speedway has enough coffee.

On that note though, I hope that either PP Carlsbad re-brews Coffee Monster or that Jeff does something in that vein once Bagby Beer is up and running. That was like drinking a chocolate covered espresso bean, and I mean that in the best possible way.

HopHead84 likes this.
  11. mattolesh

mattolesh Sep 30, 2007 California

teamizm likes this.
  12. rboinski

rboinski Mar 19, 2012 California

When it's an hour drive away and there are closer pty events.

13. vacax

Beer Trader

The debate rages on as to the true origin, but we can all agree that Calistouts originated in SoCal at least.

14. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Mar 6, 2012 California

Well San Clemente is in Orange County and Oceanside is not.

tyrsis likes this.
  15. 3SH33TS

Beer Trader

Yes. I agree. Thank you for verifying the accuracy of my note.

16. OTB

OTB Sep 2, 2011 California

I know.Here is why I say that. For a brewery with as much diversity of styles bottled goods and growlers that rotate as often as Julian does with exceptional quality in every bottle,pint or growler it's hard for me not to say that. The fact that its ten minutes to either location for me is maybe just a little bit influential as well. Dont get me wrong, I was a HUGE supporter of Alpine for years as many on this board know and respect what they do, but again I do not see anyone delivering this high of quality on a daily basis, and yes I have had lots of Hill Farmstead, its world class as are lot of others you mention. You owe yourself a trip to the brewery in LB, taste the other amazing beers in addition to Thrillseeker, you can check out whats on tap by going to their website and clicking on brewery. I think you'll see what everyone is talking about.

And dont to taste what they originally opened up their doors for, some really delicious Carolina styled bbq. Its a great space.

Cheers,

17. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Jun 30, 2009 California

That is exactly my point...

18. Rau71

Rau71 Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I went in for growler fills a few months ago and ordered their ESB while I waited and I thought it was fantastic. The IPA's I got were also top notch. Great brewery.

19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Don't forget TAPS Balinese Stout.

teamizm, LieutenantSour and vacax like this.
  20. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aug 16, 2010 Nevada

Great beer!

Add Naughty Sauce and the Right Stuff to the list!

21. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Let's not forget the SB location has arguably the best bottle list the last 6 years in the state...

dcgunman likes this.
  22. queens1130

queens1130 Nov 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Are we sure that Breakfast with Wilford isn't a cup of joe with a splash of beer? Delicious stuff

HopHead84 likes this.
  23. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Julian's "CitraHolic" although not KRBC Citra, is one of my favorite IPA's from BBQ n Brewing. I can get my Citra fix a lot closer than driving north to Kernville. Their "Alpha Supreme" is very comparable to ABC's Hoppy Birthday. "Amalgamator" another one of my favorite from BBQnB uses the newest hop Mosiac. "Mocha Machine" is full of flavor. I can go on and on with BBQnB's beers. The beers and "food" at the LB and SB location speaks for itself. And yes, the bottle list at the SB location is world class. And where else can you find a hop cam full of extrodinary beers you wont find elsewhere in SoCal? When I visit other places I always compare them to Beachwood. Only two other places will get me to go back again and again. Those two are ABC and KRBC. Well. . . .three now. . . .Societe.

dvnbtn and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  24. Miruguy

Miruguy Nov 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

The lamb ribs (they have them in the SB location, not sure about LB) are absolutely insane.

Zerric likes this.
  25. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Sep 9, 2012 California

Thanks for your reply. I haven't explored their selection outside of Thrillseeker. And yes, as you and others have pointed out, their guest taps are amazing.

26. Zerric

Zerric Jun 30, 2010 California

Best Ive had, Hands down.

27. JigsawRecords

JigsawRecords Nov 15, 2011 California

Wow, thanks for the rec... I'm all about the lamb.

28. LegalBrew87

Any other must trys?

29. booglez

booglez Mar 18, 2008 California

Well, the Wings are the best around, no contest. The smoked beef and the pulled chicken are amazing, and don't pass on the tater tots with the duck confit. Highly addictive.
    Julian does amazing things with IPA's and pales, particularly IMO Breaker and Alpha Master. The IPA's are always exceptional, among them Laurel and Hop Jitsu are two of my faves. But my real favorites are the stouts. The cask version of Tovarish with coconut and toasted almond might be the best beer I've ever had.

30. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Beer Trader

This is the last thing I need to see before lunch when I'm an hour away from Seal Beach and there's a PBJ waiting for me in the fridge.

vacax likes this.
  31. 3SH33TS

Beer Trader

I'm a fan of the portobello fries.

32. stillmatic

stillmatic Nov 5, 2012 California

The mus
    The mussels are one of my favs.

33. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Jul 9, 2010 California

mu'fuggin Smothered Steak Fries. However, I've noticed you have to go earlier in the day. They're more smothered then. If you get them at dinner or at night, they're not nearly as smothered.

34. cquiroga

cquiroga Oct 14, 2004 California

Ham sandwich for the muthafucken win. Seriously. If you don't know, now you know....

Rollzroyce21 and mattolesh like this.
  35. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Sep 9, 2012 California

Loving the suggestions. Thanks, all.

I tried the BBQ chicken nachos last night. Quite good.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  36. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Can't beat the happy hour menu. $5 for sandwich's. a buck of the beer menu. One of the best happy hour menus in the southland.

Rollzroyce21 and stillmatic like this.
  37. LegalBrew87

Thanks for all the suggestions.

38. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Wild Game pie can be fun once you've had everything else. Ostrich was pretty good and I believe I've had Alligator that was solid.

I rank their nachos #1 in the country. Nachos are probably my favorite food so if you've had better please let me know, I'm always on the lookout.

39. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Sep 10, 2011 California

Where does Julian work? SB or LB? I've never been.

40. booglez

booglez Mar 18, 2008 California

He's in LB, where they brew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe