Beachwood Tovarish Espresso RIS Release: 12/27

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Mooch273, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooch273

Mooch273 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2006 California

The release is at Beachwood's Long Beach location at 5pm and it's $16/bottle. Anyone know if there's a limit or if they are distributing to local bottleshops?

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I believe it will be available at the SB location also the day of at 5pm. And limited distro to stores. 3 bottle limit at LB and SB locations.

3. Mooch273

Thanks for the info on the 3 bottle limit. You're right, it's a both locations. I misread their site... the Russian food pairing is at LB only. http://beachwoodbbq.com/events.html

4. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

It should also get a fairly limited distribution in the stores you typically see Beachwood's bottles in. Much the same as they did for Seven.

Can't wait, comrades!

5. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Pooh-Bah (1,871) Jul 9, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

also no growler fills :slight_frown:

6. gregoryG

gregoryG Zealot (568) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Trader

Any of u dudes on this thread wanna do a mini bottle share at the release tonight? We could each bring one or two rare or non Cali distributed beers. Me and some of the other regulars and Beachwood employees are probably going to

7. Mooch273

Which location?

8. opwog

opwog Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

When checking out the description on their website, I saw that they switched the coffee used from last year. Last year's coffee came from Portola, but this year's Tovarish uses Peet's. From the description...

"...along with espresso brewed with the finest Arabian Mocha-Java coffee from our friends at Peet's."

Nothing against Portola, but I am pretty excited to try this out with Peet's. I have been a Peet's freak since I lived in Oakland back in the early 90's and despite their obvious growth, ownership shifts, etc.; they still produce coffees that are second to none.

Now maybe Julian might think about doing a tea IPA using one of Peet's teas!

9. thedirtyname

thedirtyname Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 California

Never been to a Beachwood release and I got vetoed by the girlfriend on doing this one tonight. Will both locations still sell bottles after the initial release today and how long do they tend to last? Thinking of maybe trying to make the drive down tomorrow or Sunday.

10. mattolesh

mattolesh Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 California

I'm a pretty frequent Beachwood-goer, so I felt like chiming in here... This is on the FB page for today's release: "Tovarish is a bold Russian imperial stout brewed with a base of British Maris Otter barley, heaping amounts of roasted barley, and specialty malts. It is finished with a touch of black-strap molasses along with a custom roasted coffee blend by Portola Coffee Lab in Costa Mesa, CA."

It must've been an earlier batch that used Peet's, but it's now Portola.

messanthrope and thedirtyname like this.
  11. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I always thought Peet's drip blends were over-roasted and harsh. That might explain why I wasn't too keen on the first batch of Tovarish. I'm interested in trying this new batch that uses Portola coffee. I'm just hoping "custom-roasted" doesn't mean Portola switched from the medium roast which they use for their single origin beans to the dark roast which places like Peet's are known for.

12. opwog

Or the other possibility is that they copied and pasted the previous batch's description onto facebook. I have a bottle of the previously bottled batch and on that bottle from last year, it shows Portola on the label. So Peet's wasn't used then. I really hope that it is Peet's, because I just set up for my friend to pick me up a bottle specifically because their website states it as Peet's.

13. opwog

If you still have a bottle from that first batch that you mention not having liked, you will see that it actually was made with Portola.

14. grilledsquid

Trader

I actually tried it on tap so I wouldn't have a bottle to reference. Thanks for the heads up though.

15. opwog

I called and their website is wrong. It is the Portola version.

16. opwog

I called and their website is wrong. It is the Portola version.

17. gregoryG

gregoryG Zealot (568) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Trader

Long beach!

18. grilledsquid

Trader

How's the crowd? Debating on whether or not to drive down from LA.

19. davemont

davemont Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2008 California

Waited 30 minutes and almost in. Line is only 20 deep behind.

20. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Pooh-Bah (1,871) Jul 9, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

That cask version was amazing

stillmatic, karink and powz87 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.