Bearded Iris

Discussion in 'South' started by Henryb22, May 17, 2017.

1. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (87) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

Figured there wasnt a bearded iris thread so I would start one where we can discuss weekly can releases and the like.

I dont live in Nashville but have decent access to Bearded Iris from family.

Recently I had Chief of Chiefs, Red Handed, Double Scatterbrain and Noisemaker. Chief of Chiefs was my favorite by far, then Red Handed.

Getting some Picture Book, Wabash and Double Homestyle this weekend.

Whats everyone had from them and anyone Tennessee locals make frequent brewery trips?

alexanderplatz, Badfish and scotti561 like this.
  2. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (70) Nov 12, 2014 Tennessee

I've had almost every IPA/DIPA they've released. I live half an hour away, but I make a trip to the brewery every other week after work for their happy hour. $3 IPAs, $5 DIPAs. The Scatterbrain is probably my favorite overall.

Badfish and Henryb22 like this.
  3. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (408) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I can't wait until they start releasing sours

Badfish and Penguin like this.
  4. Penguin

Penguin Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2015 Texas

I'm right down the street from Bearded Iris #blessed

Chief of Chiefs was drinking really well to go along with the Preds win last night, but Red Handed has to be one of my favorites. I go back and forth between Homestyle & Scatterbrain, but I've been leaning towards Scatterbrain with the warmer weather.

I enjoy seeing a bunch of first timers come in thinking they don't like IPAs or hoppy beers and seeing their reaction after trying Homestyle.

You won't find a better, more friendlier staff than the BIBCO crew. Curious to see how their expectations change with crowlers fills and only a few taps now that they are consistently busy during the weeks. People have been getting antsy waiting for a beer while the 32oz beasts have to be filled.

alexanderplatz and Badfish like this.
  5. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky

I'll be there Thursday night!

6. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Zealot (546) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

Drink Bearded Iris pretty consistently, and have tried just about everything they've made to date. I've been to the taproom a few times but am typically just grabbing cans from local bottle shops. Over the past few months they seem to have something new in circulation just about every week, which has been fantastic. Homestyle remains my favorite, with Red Handed and Again & Again following closely behind. I think Habit is the best traditional American IPA ever brewed in Nashville, but it seemingly disappeared when Homestyle became so popular. Chief of Chiefs is one I very much wanted to try, but missed.

Badfish likes this.
  7. Henryb22

I am pretty interested in trying Picture Book.

8. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (107) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

I had Double Scatterbrain a few weeks ago, and I was extremely impressed. Looking forward to getting my hands on more.

9. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (610) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Chief of Chiefs and Chasing Rainbows (?) are the two I've had that were the best. Hope the next distro shipment has more than Homestyle, which is fine, but I want to try new ones.

10. Grizzarky

Grizzarky Aspirant (216) Jun 6, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

I've been fortunate enough to be able to get just about everything they've released in cans so far. Cheif of cheifs is my favorite DIPA so far, and Noisemaker Absalutely blew me away, so much citra and so crushable!

11. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (476) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Red Handed is Habit, if you know the sorry behind the name you would get the name reference. Homestyle is great, i think the cans usually hit their sweet spot about two weeks after release, sometimes i get some hop burn from fresh cans. Also if you havent had the newest batch of Insert Juicy Pun from Southern Grist, you are missing out. Probably the second best ipa they have done beside DDH First Anny.

12. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (87) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Trader

I've had everything they've done other than Picture Book. Homestyle and Red Handed are my personal favorites, but nothing I've had by them has let me down!

13. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,255) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I agree with this. I like almost all of their stuff (Homestyle is my favorite) but I have started to sit on it if I get it super fresh.

14. John1985

John1985 Zealot (555) Nov 5, 2001 Tennessee

I've had Homestyle and Tunnel Vision. Both were very good but Tunnel Vision was my favorite so far. Looks like I'll have to try Red Handed or Chief of Chiefs based on the comments. On a side note, I've really enjoyed the New Heights IPA that came out in cans recently.

Badfish likes this.
  15. AmeriCanadian

Agreed about New Heights IPA! Very good beer.

#15 AmeriCanadian, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    John1985 likes this.
  16. AmeriCanadian

Can you share the Habit > Red Handed story? I haven't heard about that. And I've unfortunately never gotten to try [Insert Juicy Pun] at SG (the last time I was able to visit the taproom was before they brewed it for the first time), but it's definitely on my wish list. Those two (Bearded Iris and Southern Grist) took the Nashville scene to another level last year.

harperman69, Grizzarky and Badfish like this.
  17. Badfish

Trader

I will 3rd that!

John1985 likes this.
  18. Penguin

I had already had a few when I heard the story, so someone can either correct the crap out of me or fill in the blanks. I believe they were contract brewing at the time, and Habit was above the ABV limit at the time for the state of Tennessee and the licensing they had. Word got out, they got busted, and Bearded Iris could have been slapped on the wrist so hard they would have been knocked out of existence, at least within the city/county limits.

Thanks to that non-sense a lot of hype was created behind the brand prior to them ever opening their doors.

AmeriCanadian likes this.
  19. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (246) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I have tried about 4-5 of their beers and all are very good! Maybe not treehouse or trillium quality, but still very good. Will be passing through Nashville on Sunday and hope to grab some brews! Anyone have any idea what will be available?

20. Penguin

Check the website. They keep it up to date with what's on draft and how many cases are left in stock of their current offerings.

Badfish likes this.
  21. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (476) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Thats basically it.

AmeriCanadian and Penguin like this.
  22. jdhops

jdhops Initiate (105) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee

I'm 15 minutes away and am at Bearded Iris (and Southern Grist) almost every weekend. Have tried all the cans and like them all, especially Double Homestyle, Red Handed, Attention Please (second batch), and Chief of Chiefs. Agree that some are better a week or so after release.

[Insert Juicy Pun] at Southern Grist is also pretty great.

Badfish and Grizzarky like this.
  23. Grizzarky

Grizzarky Aspirant (216) Jun 6, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

I'm a boston native living in Nashville, and let me be the first to respectfully disagree with this statement. I happen to be back in Boston this week and was at trillium today... The only thing BI is lacking to trillium is the hype and who did it it first.

24. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (116) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I'd disagree, I lived in Western MA for many years before moving to Louisville, and while I enjoyed both Homestyle and the first Milewide I had (was it called Tessie?), I think they were both pretty close on flavor but are missing something subtle but definite in the mouthfeel compared to Tree House. Both very good beers and I'm looking to try more from both, although Milewide's price point for crowlers is going to make it an occasional treat beer rather than a regular.

Grizzarky likes this.
  25. xxbassplayerxx

I stopped by over the weekend and spent both nights drinking with the staff and it was wonderful! On the second night, I brought in a few rarer beers to share and had an amazing time. There are some really great people there :slight_smile:

I also dropped about $400 on beer to-go to bring home and share with friends!

Grizzarky and Penguin like this.
  26. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (557) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Anyone know what the limits are on packs? I'm not trying to buy out the pub but I'm driving down there today and wanted to get a couple packs for my roommates too

27. WPZY

WPZY Initiate (83) Jan 17, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

Pretty sure there are no limits. Seen people roll out with multiple cases. You'll be fine.

Badfish likes this.
  28. Penguin

There's no limits at the brewery (as of now), but you'll get some awkward looks from the bar and the patrons if you decide to order a dozen crowlers when there's a line of people to the door wanting a cold one. Don't be THAT GUY. Otherwise, they've procured a dolly if you're getting multiple cases. Good luck rolling that thing down the hill.. and don't slip on the loose gravel!

Grizzarky and Badfish like this.
  29. xxbassplayerxx

I walked out with three cases the first day I was there and two cases the second day. Anna helped me carry them out to my car :slight_smile:

30. Penguin

And here I was, almost about to say don't be THAT GUY and make the lone woman of Bearded Iris carry out beers to the car :wink:

She really is the best. Imagine we probably ran in to each other at some point.

Grizzarky and xxbassplayerxx like this.
  31. xxbassplayerxx

She wouldn't let me take them myself! But I did share some fantastic beers with her on the second night... I won't claim to have earned it, but I did my best to pay her back :slight_smile:

Grizzarky likes this.
  32. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (557) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I bought 8 packs, two glasses and a crowler and carried them myself.

Pretty cool pub though.. super busy at 1:30pm. Only two bartenders holding it down for everyone. I sat at the bar and had a few drinks and left a nice tip so hopefully that relieved ant angst they felt toward my order :slight_smile:

33. MarshallBirdhouse

Trader

Hidden Gem drops tomorrow and sounds amaze-balls. Rolling down to grab a mixed case of it and Tunnel vision (which is also great) when they open at 2

Grizzarky likes this.
  34. Henryb22

Wish I were getting Tunnel Vision but I have way too many IPAs to drink right now. The hop combo sounds awesome.

Grizzarky likes this.
  35. Badfish

Trader

Tunnel Vision has been my least favorite BI. Now don't get me wrong, it's still tasty but the last batch I had was overwhelmed with strong lemon flavors. I am wanting to try Hidden Gem. I just got some Royal Family and it smooooooooth. Cheers!

Grizzarky likes this.
  36. AugustWest1

AugustWest1 Initiate (48) Feb 23, 2016 Texas

Glad this brewery has its own thread. It certainly deserves it. I would love to have a place like this closer to home. Anyone else like Acid Test? Probably my favorite from my visit.

Badfish, xxbassplayerxx and Grizzarky like this.
  37. AmeriCanadian

Trying Royal Family right now for the first time. Smooth is right. Gorgeous, silky smooth, very juicy, and very little bitterness. Definitely one of BI's mellower offerings (in the pale and IPA category), and I'm getting a little soapiness in the taste, so not one of my favorites of theirs. But still awfully drinkable.

I liked Acid Test and thought it was one of their more unique pales/IPAs. BI has had so many solid offerings, they're honestly starting to run together for me unless I'm drinking them side by side. Not a bad problem to have, however!

Badfish and Grizzarky like this.
  38. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Aspirant (251) Feb 1, 2013 Tennessee

I'm about 3 miles from them and make it habit to visit as much as possible. Taproom has a great feel and the staff is very friendly and amazing. Picked up 4 packs today of Tunnel Vision, Royal Family, and Hidden Gem along with a crowler of Double Homestyle.

39. MarshallBirdhouse

Trader

Hidden Gem is stupid delicious and might be the best beer I've had from BI (and I've had almost all of them)

Grizzarky likes this.
  40. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,968) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Never been to the taproom but can attest that their beers are the best in this region...

harperman69 and Grizzarky like this.