1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beat still at RR

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by oreo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

we might not be their home market but it is sad to hear how stores in the midwest and east coast get cases upon cases, when beer stores in SD are happy to get 1-2 cases.

alwaysanswerb likes this.
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Weird. My local bevmo claimed to get 10 cases of Sucaba. I didn't see them, but their online inventory system can't be THAT off. I figured SoCal bevmos would get just as much.

3. Levitation

Levitation Aug 7, 2009 California

they didn't (at least, last year). i didn't bother this year, for well-documented reasons.

4. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Chicago and New York are vaccuums.

5. mikecharley

mikecharley Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Beatification is a good beer, that's for sure

6. goveia75

goveia75 Mar 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

FYI for anyone who still wanted to head to the pub for Beat, I'm there now and according to multiple staff members, they expect Beat to last into the weekend.

Btw, row 2 is fucking awesome!

Pwnzilla likes this.
  7. stupac2

Beer Trader

RR's blog says that as well, if so that's great news for me, might be able to get some more.

8. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

huh? why? i feel like i must be missing several tacit assumptions here about the ethics of selling beer to people...

edit: re: overall argument, can't say i care. as long as the beer gets out it's pretty much all good as far as i'm concerned. i appreciate when brewers go the extra mile to please customers, but both founders and russian river seem like pretty stand up breweries as far as everything i've heard, so...

9. stupac2

Beer Trader

I just don't see the point of sending beer thousands of miles away when it would trivially sell closer to home. You can come up with a ton of reasons for that, but let's go with... shipping further away is more environmentally unfriendly. As good as anything, right?

It's basically a first principle anyway, there's not a ton of rationale behind it. Although given how often other dudes have espoused the "reward the locals" argument I'm really surprised at how much pushback I've received.

nanobrew likes this.
  10. Pahn

Beer Trader

not selling to local market is questionable i think, and i can see locals giving criticism. not sating locals as unacceptable, i think that's a stretch... i can see preferring that route, but i can't really see getting too up in arms about it not being taken.

11. Levitation

you've seen how much shit i take for hammering firestone on violating that principle, so you shouldn't be surprised at all.

12. Pahn

Beer Trader

re: environment, that argument pretty strained... they're shipping to these markets whether they get KBS / etc no matter what, not like shipping those tiny batches makes much difference. i'm sure that's not your only argument against it though.

i don't think it's a silly position to take or anything, just not sure it resonates much with me as long as the locals get some access.

13. stupac2

Beer Trader

Well, some access != adequate access. We'll see what happens as these barrel programs ramp up.

14. Pahn

Beer Trader

i think it will get a lot better, though not necessarily for whale hunters. the bruery has been very clearly focused on making BT a shelf beer since before it was made (like, the idea of beers like that being shelf beers). when they finally accomplish it, they're going to make a shit load of money. (edit: and, i would guess, the people mysteriously wishing for beer to get more expensive will have something to be thankful for as well...)

for now though, we're in a dark age of speculators and long lines. barrel programs will catch up though, and demand's not going down any time soon (nor is the talent level of brewers). good things coming.

15. stupac2

Beer Trader

It would be pretty funny if it came to a point where the amount of bourbon being made was the limiting factor.

16. Levitation

it amuses me when i see a bottle of bourbon running for cheaper than a beer aged for a fraction of the time in the same barrels.

17. meerkat2

meerkat2 Aug 27, 2007 Florida

ISO: shelf beat FT: $4$ NY shelfs

anyone?

18. weatherdog

weatherdog Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

I hope to god that one day there will be almost 5 million bourbon barrels aging beer. Let's make this a reality.

19. goveia75

goveia75 Mar 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

If you will tell me what shelf, I will be glad to help you with this.

20. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Would someone explain this whole Old Fitzgerald barrel aging then? :)

21. MrFootstones

MrFootstones Aug 8, 2008 California

A point, hitherto, unconsidered.

You've read it. You can't unread it.

22. saru96

saru96 Sep 24, 2011 California

I know today was the RR anniversary party does anyone know how beat quantities are doing as of today?

23. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

I don't even want Beatification now because it's so easy to get. Am I doing this right?

PALMEJ1 and meerkat2 like this.
  24. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Beer Trader

You know, not too many people live near Santa Rosa. If I lived about 2 hrs from RR I think I'd probably drive there up to 2 times for this beer. Once for my trading partners and once for myself.

I sure as hell wouldn't drive all that way just to hook up non-trade-partners for off-the-shelf beers. And I like to think I travel for beer a lot.

alwaysanswerb likes this.
  25. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Dec 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I was there yesterday and they still had some. I would guess that they run out by the end of today (weekends get larger crowds than weekdays. Also, had a bottle there. It is/was fantastic and I can only imagine it in 3 years time.

26. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Nov 26, 2008 California

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but if anyone's keeping score: my 1 for 1 offer yesterday did not get done. The only responses I received were [multiple] people telling me I was aiming too high, so I closed it down.

IMO, fair offers to get multiple Beatifications are out there; they're just not being taken. :shrug: I did get a few more requests to drive up to the brewery and pick up bottles though.

27. Pahn

Beer Trader

i think it's less that your offer isn't fair and more that it isn't feasible; and i don't mean "in a generalized, objective sense," but in a "there are people that would take it because they love RR sours so much, but they don't have that many KH."

judging from "the market" it seems like 6 beat for 6 KH won't happen, but i think it's a huge stretch to believe that there aren't people who a) live in GI's distro area, b) like beatification and its ilk enough to go 1 for 1 with KH, and c) would expand the deal for as many KHs as they have. the fact is, no one like that has 6 KHs. "serious traders" have 6 KHs, or people who just want to drink it, or tasting groups that wouldn't blow their load for 6 of the same beer.

MordorMongo likes this.
  28. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The Hill Farmstead proposal seemed fair if it was just for DIPA growlers. A bottle of phenomenology is extremely rare. But its been made again in the coolship there.

29. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Nov 26, 2008 California

Thanks, I didn't know that. My fault for also not specifying that we were open to some counteroffer.

All true, and there are probably gazillions more reasons it wouldn't get done, but the feedback I received was that it was not fair on all the beers I mentioned: BCBVS (which I think WAS overreaching), BCBCS (which was not), and CBH (which was not). Feasibility is a different story, and people I trusted told me why it wasn't feasible.

Based on complaints about what people were asking for Beatification, I thought it was worthwhile to try and bridge the gap and let people know that Bay Areans (Aryans?) are trying. Driving a hard bargain to be sure, but I don't subscribe to the idea that we weren't even in the ballpark.

I'll give it another shot in a few weeks. I'm shipping too many boxes of Beat as it is.

30. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Is Beat still at the Brewpub? It says so on the Website, but not sure how often it is updated.

31. stupac2

Beer Trader

If you care, call them.

CheapBeerBuzz likes this.
  32. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

1000 cases is a shitload, wouldn't surprise me. 12,000 beats for sale. How many Dark Lord bottles are usually sold each year?

33. stupac2

Beer Trader

I think around twice as many.

34. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

It is excellent. I have 5 left and don't think I'd trade any out. Previously my favorite from RR was Supplication and I like the Beatification much more. Haven't had DL yet though....

Is all DL sold out on DLD? 24k bottles? That's insane.

35. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I did, and it is.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe