Beer Abstinence

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Zimbo, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Disciple (322) Feb 16, 2009 Kansas

I went about a week after my foot surgery last year. Before that there was a stretch of about 15 years. Add it all together and I have gone without beer for a total of about 20 years out of 60...

2. SgunnarW

SgunnarW Initiate (137) Jan 11, 2012 California

I almost took tonight off...then I realized that today sucked, and I really wanted a beer. Decided upon a Hopocalypse and Torpedo.

Beefytits4 and 4balance like this.
  3. lokieman

lokieman Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

Dude it's a great excuse to pop something special...

4. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

8 days or so at a time. As noted, the taste and mouthfeel are far harder to give up than the booze.

5. Luv2Brew422

Luv2Brew422 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 California

i do "dry january" every year...so to answer your question...one month! shouldnt be too bad to go 10 days. i mean, c'mon

6. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I went 4 years once. It wasn't so bad actually. I had quite a few non-alcoholic beers during that time. I'd say Buckler, Bitburger, and Clausthaler were the best from what I can recall.

7. Jwren5

Jwren5 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Illinois

I was not aware that you're not supposed to drink while on antibiotics. In that case, I can think of sometimes when I should have abstained...oops.

4balance likes this.
  8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

it is advisable to always be honest with your doctors and alcohol intake is a big thing to not keep quiet about (same for any substances you might ingest) if you want to get better from your issues. what they advise is rarely what you want to hear, but i always look at the main difference between having an alcohol related passion/hobby and an alcohol related problem/addiction being how honest and upfront you are with your doctor(s) and how much you heed their advice. what's 10 days to be healthy vs 6 months of battling something that can be beaten in a week?

9. Jwren5

Jwren5 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Illinois

That is a good point, and I agree with what you are saying. In my case, I wrongly assumed that when I was told to abstain from alcohol, it was just because you are supposed to drink hydrating fluids when sick. I will have to remember this.

10. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2009 India

About 8 to 10 months in 2008 due to recurring panic attacks

11. Chickenhawk9932

Chickenhawk9932 Meyvn (1,048) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

I haven't had one for a few weeks. I decided not to buy any until my son is born - to save some money. My wife is due mid April and my cellar is nearly depleted. I do have a Smuttynose Baltic Porter to celebrate the birth.

bifrost17 likes this.
  12. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

True alcoholism would mean he couldn't give up beer even while taking antibiotics...

cosmicevan likes this.
  13. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (409) Sep 1, 2004 New York

i used to stop drinking for a week or two every few years, just because i could and it seemed logical.
    but i realized that my not drinking really hurts the one i love. i have promised myself not to abstain anymore.
    it was a difficult decision but i am better for it.

my advice, being an adult means that you have to take responsibility for your not drinking.

14. fx20736

fx20736 Savant (998) Mar 7, 2009 New York

in the past year I have not gone more than 2 days without a beer.

15. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,584) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I barely drank much late this past fall/early winter. Probably went a couple months where I might have only had a couple beers total. Not sure exact longest break within that period but had to have been a few weeks at a time.

16. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

You're right about that. Ten days my arse. Shameful wailing on my part especially considering the stories of personal droughts in the thread. A few more days ain't going to hurt me.
    Hell, I might even hit the gym again tomorrow.

17. azorie

azorie Champion (884) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Many cruises with the good old dry us navy, the longest was 5 long frigging months...

18. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (165) Dec 20, 2006 New York

5 months while studying for an exam.

19. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

Z, as you most likely saw on the U.K. forum, I always abstain for at least 6 days after a trip to England. After cask even my favorite American craft beers taste like shit for a time after I get home. So-6-7 days I think has been my longest period since starting up regularly on good beer.

20. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (469) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

The first 14 years of your life?

azorie and Bitterbill like this.
  21. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2010 Kansas

Four weeks for an mma fight. Am currently not drinking right now as I am trying to keep my weight at 155 for a fight next weekend. It is beginning to get on my nerves working a full time job, doing ridiculous workouts and training two nights a week and not being able to unwind with my favorite beers on the weekend followed by eating bland food. I have not quit buying beers though. I have amassed a celler with barleywines, imperial stouts, and a few brand new maharaja's and hercules.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  22. Absolut

Absolut Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2011 California

currently on day 3 of 10 days of antibiotics/ decongestant.. no beer for the 10 days, until i can get back to the gym and am off the meds. stupid me, i went on a beer buying binge the other day and have a a house full of beer that i cant drink. watching college hoops and playing guitar are both significantly less enjoyable without a beer.

absyrd1 likes this.
  23. Scrylol

Scrylol Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Alberta (Canada)

Well after 10 days, I bet the first beer you drink would be orgasmic!

24. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2012 Texas

Probably broom birth to age 4 or so. Form then I have probably had at least a sip from then to now. So 4 years.

25. Spider889

Spider889 Meyvn (1,000) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry

... from... looking at your avatar?

26. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2009 India

Well this is me from the lack of good beer. A sheer panic situation anyway.

27. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,880) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

28. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,880) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I once abstained from beer for 5 years, under the misguided notion that it would make my now ex-wife a happier woman.

29. JCaweinstein

JCaweinstein Disciple (328) Dec 30, 2010 Ohio

I quit for 11days earlier this year while doing a clense. I lost 14 pounds during the clense and 6 more since. I didn't think I could do it but seeing the weight come off made it easy.

30. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (412) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I hear ya about this! I have to say that when I go to the gym I push myself like a madman's last day on earth, and sometimes I suffer TOO much with a pulled back muscle! Missing out on your regimen just plain sucks! So if I hurt myself and have to take a week of to recover, no beer that week! :slight_frown:

31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,969) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm cutting way back to lose some weight, so it's mainly Miller Lite and 64, but I do have the occasional Two Hearted when it's on tap. If there's not a problem or a real reason why abstain, life is short?

32. paleforce

paleforce Initiate (108) Oct 24, 2007 Connecticut

I have a rule that on days with no exercise, I don't get to drink any beer. Vacations excepted, of course! In other words I exercise almost every day.

33. output01x

output01x Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Ohio

Once to twice a year I will abstain for a full month. I find it a great way to help cleanse the body and hopefully keep me enjoying delicious craft beer for longer. I also have a history of alcoholism in my family so being able to go a full month helps to prove to myself that I don't have a problem. Also, the first beers after a month without are sublime.

34. mattcrill

mattcrill Meyvn (1,316) Mar 16, 2004 Ohio

What is this abstinence you speak of? Never heard of it.

azorie and Hatzilla like this.
  35. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

Painful story...Did you make up for it? :stuck_out_tongue:

36. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Disciple (375) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

You can drink on antibiotics with no real change on the effectiveness of the meds.

azorie likes this.
  37. DangerousSweatpants

DangerousSweatpants Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2012

Three months and counting.

38. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

When I turned 21 I rarely if ever drank beer. And when I did drink, rarely, it was wine and spirits, sometimes cocktails, until I realized that cocktails are marked up just to make the drink sweet (lame). I was already 30 when I finally caved into trying 'all those weird beers' at Trader Joe's, then I got on the Stone Wagon and drank Arrogant Bastard a lot. I finally started shopping at Bevmo, and now the two years since, I haven't gone more than a week without a beer. Damn you, people!

39. jefftennis

jefftennis Initiate (113) Oct 6, 2009 Pennsylvania

The longest I've gone without a beer is maybe a couple days when sick with flu. I usually have a couple of fine craft beers every night.

40. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Aspirant (240) Jul 25, 2008 California

8 Years. With the money I saved I bought my cow bike.

Aexoonge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.