Beer and diet

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mrcsbud2, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Mrcsbud2

Mrcsbud2 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2017 Nevada

Has anyone had a successful diet while not having to give up beer? 2017 I gained quite a bit of weight due to a more lax diet, more beer, and just trying to gain weight to powerlift. I got stronger but again, fatter.

Right now I plan on doing a lower carb diet (not exactly keto but most of my fuel source will be fat) with some healthy carbs around training. I just want to know if having a beer or two every other day is going to make this fat loss journey pointless? You always hear about the metabolism thing with alcohol so I'm curious.

2. bl00

bl00 Aspirant (240) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My understanding is that metabolism and hormones really start to get affected around 3 drinks in. That being said, consider calories in-calories out. If you are drinking ~10 beers a week then that means you'll need to remove 3000-4000 calories to compensate. Other people will argue that the carbs/sugar are more disruptive to weight loss than calories from other sources.

Overall, it can be done but its a lot of work. Good luck on your journey!

3. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Disciple (345) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

Last year I started working out for the first time in a couple of years (I got busy with anesthesia school - almost done school now but I got tired of putting on weight so I made time for working out). Anyway, I still enjoyed a few beers over the weekends but typically limited it to 2 beers and was still able to lose 15lbs (2.5 inches off my waist) while gaining a lot of muscle over the course of the year.

That said, I have a feeling my results would have been much better had I stopped drinking beer altogether. If you do the math and say each beer you drink is about 200 calories and you have 2 a week - that's 20,800 calories a year - just from beer.

But I enjoy beer too much to give it up! So everything in moderation, right? Bottom line, it can be done but you just need to make sure you put the work in if you want to see results.

4. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (1,986) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I think it is as simple as beer is empty calories. If you do not cut them out it makes it harder. Not impossible but definitely harder. I have weight problems as I am trying to continue mountain biking well into my sixties. The body does not run well when 30 lbs overweight. I usually have a beer as a good reward for a workout or ride that burned a few extra calories. Figure out what works for you and stick with it and you will have great success. For me it is a struggle as my metabolism slows down in my 60's. Beer has to be cut down to a minimum.

5. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,062) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

I have focused on cutting out almost all sugar except for fruits and beer and have avoided fast food since November. I have been a little more active and haven’t really cut back on drinking beer (1-2 beers a night during the week and 2-4 beers a day during the weekend) and have lost about 15 lbs.

6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,512) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I do not eat fast food or processed foods. I make anything myself that I can make myself including bread, tortilla chips and ice cream. I drink beer and maintain my weight by not indulging in many desserts.

7. thuey

thuey Initiate (194) Nov 13, 2015 California

I've been doing the 16/8 intermittent fast and I'll either maintain or lose weight even with the drinking. (But I'm a 2-beer max kinda person.)

8. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (308) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

This was going to be my recommendation as well. It seems difficult at first glance, but you actually get used to it very quickly. Not sure how @thuey times it out, but I usually stop eating around 8pm and don't start again until noon-ish the following day. On average, I follow this protocol about 5 days/week.

9. Txex06

Txex06 Initiate (115) Dec 28, 2016 Texas

Run! I've dropped over 50lbs while increasing my beer consumption and decreasing my liquor consumption. I won't drink a beer unless I get a good workout in before. Each morning I have a smoothie with lots of kale, spinach, chia seeds, fresh ginger, half a banana, a few chunks of frozen pineapple, water, and ice. I keep the fruit content a lot lower then the veggies and skip adding any juice to keep the sugar content low. I pair the smoothie with some hard boiled eggs and that is breakfast. I rarely eat sweets anymore, and won't eat anything high in calories or high in sugar if I'm going to drink beer that day. All about the calories.

10. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Initiate (146) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey

What works for me and has for years- I don’t drink Sunday-Thursday and eat clean/workout. Fri-Sat are my drink/eat whatever I want days. I’m flexible with it if I have an event or party during the week and also take the occasional week off when work travel puts me in places to try new beers but for the most part I’ve stayed in good shape following this.

11. thuey

thuey Initiate (194) Nov 13, 2015 California

I've been doing everyday 16/8 (fasting from 8p - noon'ish as well, very occasionally sliding the window for social reasons) since December. I was originally afraid of how it'd affect my workouts, and my training for a foot race. But I've found my body has adapted pretty well, so I've stuck with it.

12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,897) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I can lose weight if I limit myself to one or rarely two beers a night, and don't drink more than five days a week. If I'm having beer, I make sure not to snack - so beer is my snack.

13. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Premium

I find that a:wink: good beer beer can be very satisfying. Full stop....& if I don't feel like anything else, then mission accomplished. Almost anything, that's not artificially sweetened (diet soda- whole 'nother problem, that's long behind) besides water is going to be more calories than a <6%abv beer. Grape juice, for example is ~19cal/oz. Beer, in general, is ~ (30cal x %abv) per 12oz beer. If that 1 beer stops me from eating or drinking something else, it's a net plus.

If you've been having mostly BA stouts ,DIPAs, & such, then try fewer & lower abv. Still slower than none at all, but maybe that feels better than cold turkey?

Btw, there is some recent research that suggests that processed corn/hfcs as it presently exists, turns off the signals that tell you that you are satisfied. Might help to cut out anything with processed corn/hfcs products in it.

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (628) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I average 2.5 beers a day over the year. More low abv than high. I am probably a few pounds overweight in the mid section but not noticeable with clothes on.

My issue is I love candy and eat at late hours, past 11pm I can have a full meal , go to bed at 1a and back at work by 6am. I do move a lot at work, 5 miles a day on average.

Quitting drinking is not helping me out much in weight. I'm sure it's healthier. When I stopped drinking for 6 weeks or so I lost a little weight but not anything noticeable. Once my "flu" went away I gained a taste for beer back.

I have not gone to a fast food place in over 20 years. I cook most meal's from scratch , semi scratch as I don't make bread or pasta. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and don't eat any red meat( don't like the taste). I eat candy and bread a lot so if I can cut that I'm sure I would lose my extra 5-8 pounds. I also tend to overeat as I love to eat. Need to stop when I am full and not think"that's good" and have more.

Enjoy

15. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (770) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I generally lose 20-30lbs in spring-summer to pretty low bodyfat.

I couldn't do it having 2 or 3 beers everyday but I do regularly still drink beer 1-2 days a week on my off days.

Weekly caloric deficit is going to have to be negative. What that really means is you're going to diet harder or more [calorically] restrictive for some many days to enjoy so above maintenance calories for a day or two.

bl00 likes this.
  16. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,206) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I walk 10 miles per day on avg. for my job (no, I’m not a mailman) and I run about 20 miles a week for leisure so the 70 miles I put in keep me fit, in fact without my beer calories I might be too thin. I’m not trying to sound like a douchebag but the best diet is exercise.

17. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (229) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I workout regularly and have a hard and fast rule that I don't eat junk like chips or cake while drinking beer. Also I generally drink 5 percent beers or less and only have 1 or 2 on a normal day. Include your beer in your daily eating calories and it's pretty easy to stay under. I love beer but am very vane and love being in shape more.

18. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,079) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Liquid calories don’t count.

It’s science.

19. IKR

IKR Zealot (559) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Whatever it takes to make my body's caloric requirement = or < than my caloric intake is what's always worked for me. For me I find I have to up my workout intensity/duration and carefully watch calories to keep on track. I love those big bal-aged beers but after honestly assessing the calories they contain I found myself having fewer beers that have lower ABV. I open the big bal-aged beers less frequently these days. I hate getting old:angry:

20. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,244) Dec 25, 2003 California

Paleo Diet. Just limit your beer to once a month or week. But on beer day go wild.

FanofHefe, Tdizzle and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  21. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,632) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

Weight loss is basically calories in vs. calories out, adjust your beer consumption accordingly

Tdizzle, JoeK89, 5thOhio and 4 others like this.
  22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,840) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I add the beer calories to my food calories and make a point of not consuming more total calories in a day than I will burn off.

23. rronin

rronin Initiate (175) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

This year I decided to take charge of my health and joined the Y and Weight Watchers. WW doesn't count calories, they folllow a point system you treat like a budget. I'm budgeted at 25 points a day. They count "Regular Beer (lager types)" at 5 points for 12 oz. they count "Beer (ales and porters)" at 7 points for 12 oz. Drinking one beer would be expensive for me. My son joined WW with me. Because he's younger and taller, he's budgeted at 45 points a day! He can drink a beer a day and not exceed his budget! Argh!

24. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (343) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

"A beer or two every other day" is the very picture of moderation. I'm sure you'll be fine.

dcall384, Tdizzle, utopiajane and 2 others like this.
  25. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Devotee (446) Nov 23, 2017 California

I don't find beer to be the main cause for weight gain or retention, it's really everything else. If you drink soda, try to completely stop and learn to love sparkling water. Even scale back or cut out juices and other high-carb. drinks. Eating a sensible meal with your beer is fine, but avoid drunk snacking or even snacking altogether. And of course, never eat until you're full, always stop at 80%. I know it's hard to deny food sometimes, but better that than beer!

26. RoadLizard

RoadLizard Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2008 New York

As many have touched on, total calories in/out is whats mostly going to determine your dietary goal success or failure. I love beer. Period. Luckily I dont have much of a sweet tooth so I can fairly easily avoid candy, doughnuts, desserts, crap like that. Helps me a lot. Back in 2013 I was 270lbs and am now 185lbs. No BS. All dietary changes and REGULAR exercise. I dont mean walking around the block a few times a week, I mean hard work. Rowing(I have a water rower machine), running, weights, etc. Breath heavy, sweat, feel sore. Thats what has to happen.

I dont restrict carbs or any of that obnoxious "tracking" stuff either. Im pretty much 80/20 rule as in 80% of the time Im eating grains, lean protein and veggies. The other 20%, I have some fun with comfort food. But I do NOT skip workouts or make up excuses. And yes, I drink beer almost every night but its usually 1-2 and rarely ever more than that. I make it work. You can too, but ya gotta stay active regularly. Active, fit people can get away with a LOT more "cheating" than couch bums. :wink:

So, workout hard, east sensibly most of the time and enjoy your beer. It'll work.

27. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,609) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I lost 70 lbs while drinking beer everyday. It can be done.

28. TheWolf

TheWolf Aspirant (263) May 26, 2015 Delaware

This is the truth as many people have indicated. I was in the same position 3 years ago and I considered myself to have a healthy diet outside of beer consumption. No processed foods I committed to running 5 days a week. I’ve lost 40 pounds slowly over the course of 3 years. I’ve increased my calorie intake to provide energy for running. I now run about 30 miles week. Not a ton but enough to get a good burn on a daily basis. I feel better in every facet of life.

29. Junior

Junior Aspirant (293) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I eat a very sensible diet (lots of vegetables and fruit, whole grains, limited lean meats) with no beer 5-6 days of the week. I will have 2-4 beers total the other 1-2 days and have lost 15 lbs this year. I have not added exercise my routine but cut my beer consumption by at least half and other sources of sugar by 75%.

30. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (253) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Maybe try limiting yourself to only having a drink on a day you workout.. It's like a reward.. Plus, If you go a couple days without, you'll obviously really want a beer, but it'll also get you back in the gym

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,897) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Lots of variables to weight loss; portion control, exercise, avoid snacking, and don't go wild on fat, sugar, and carbs. And avoid absolutes such as "never have" or "eat only", as many of these diets are unhealthy and cause cravings. This is all based on the general advice of credible doctors and dieticians, though you can find advice in favor about any diet-of-the-month fad. As others have said, one beer a day or 1-2 every-other day shouldn't hurt, particularly if lower ABV. YMMV.

utopiajane likes this.
  32. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (48) Aug 3, 2017 California

I go to my climbing gym for a few hours every Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Also maybe make time for outdoor climbing, hopefully. It basically averages out to around 3.5 days when I'm doing something pretty active.

My weight fluctuates, but it's usually around 140-150.

I don't entirely watch what I eat, nor count calories. I do try to cut back on rice (even brown) as much as is comfortable for me (being of S.E. Asian descent, it's pretty rough) and replace with veggies.

Beer_Economicus and Harrison8 like this.
  33. nachos

nachos Initiate (104) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan

Exercise. Consume less calories. Everybody's body is different.

Tdizzle and TheeWarPig like this.
  34. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,309) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

The bottom line, no matter how many different ways you look at it, is calories in vs calories out. Eat wisely. Eat less. Exercise more.
    For what it's worth, I lost 25 pounds just by altering my diet (cutting out snacks and ice cream, still drinking beer) and the weight has stayed off for five years.

Tdizzle, Txex06, TheeWarPig and 3 others like this.
  35. seahawksandbassguitar

seahawksandbassguitar Initiate (92) Jan 12, 2016 Washington

Five years ago I lost 60 lbs in 3 months without giving up beer.
    Granted I did cut back big time (I went almost a month without a beer when I first started) and only drank 3-4 beers a week.

What worked for me was cutting out all foods containing flour (no bread, pasta, tortilla's etc.), dairy, and soda. I did walk anywhere from 3-5 miles a day along with going to the gym.

36. Jmclowell

Jmclowell Initiate (143) Jan 27, 2018 Massachusetts
    Premium

I’ve lost weight with out giving up beer. Just have to account for the calories. I use Weight Watchers

jimmyfishkin likes this.
  37. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (247) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I loved reading all of these success stories - very motivating.

You can do it. You have to have the mentality to do this (I actually gained some weight since getting married in June of 2017 and actually started back on a diet this past Sunday to get ready for the Summer). I called it a diet in my last sentence, but that is a bad term. Diets don't last. It has to be a change in lifestyle. Force yourself to workout and eat well consistently. Once you do it for a couple weeks/months, you will not want to go back. I gained weight back because I slowly started eating bad and then continued to do it. I am comfortable. This lifestyle should be uncomfortable. Force yourself to hit limits you never thought you could.

As others have said, reward yourself. Set goals and give yourself something to look forward to. Maybe reward yourself once a week with 3-4 beers and a nice cheat meal.

Your weight will fluctuate, but be consistent. Once you are in this lifestyle long enough, you will actually be able to tell when you will wake up and have lost weight or have gained weight.

Start now before it's too late.

38. JayORear

JayORear Savant (990) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Trader

This is my downfall . . . it's exactly when I'm drinking that I'm more likely to snack, especially two or three beers in.

39. JEBmass

JEBmass Initiate (47) May 1, 2015 Massachusetts

I continue to drink beer while dieting, but restrict myself to Fri-Sun.

Really makes me look forward to the weekend!

40. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (158) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I love beer, so I consider that my "vice" and cut out a lot of other things to combat the calories I consume from beer. I drink soda maybe a few times a year, coffee black, tea black, and a ton of water. I make sure the only calories I'm getting in from a liquid are from beer. Workout/run 4-5 days a week, average about 16,000 steps a day, and eat relatively healthy/cook all my meals. What's funny is before I got into "craft" which was about 5-6 years ago, everything else was the same as I just mentioned, but even being that health conscious-there's no question craft beer is lessening the extent of how "fit" I used to be.