Beer Bar Finds (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by AlcahueteJ, Nov 9, 2019.

1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,120) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Decided this would be a good accompanying thread to “Beer Shop Finds”.

I’ll start.

~$50 2 oz. Utopia pours at Banners Tap and Kitchen by the Garden.

They also have The Chosen One on tap from Tilted Barn for $11.50 for a 10 oz. pour. Also another Tilted Barn IPA on tap as well.

Line to get in and shit show inside though.

2. randytrevor

randytrevor Initiate (69) Nov 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

The Gaff in Waltham had a nice range of draft options ( Rothaus, Oxbow, Honest Weight, among others), Cantillon bottles, and the sandwich I had was tasty. Haven't seen it mentioned on here, but didn't really look either.

3. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (18) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Beat Brew Hall has Mornin Delight on still. $14 for 4oz but you get to keep the glass. Also there's a secret tap menu that has some great Belgian stuff.

Jwale73, Sheppard and AlcahueteJ like this.
  4. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (30) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

went to Banners a couple of weeks ago, pretty good tap list but a little pricey. We went on a Saturday at 630. It was a shit show since there was a Bruins game but once the game started a lot of people cleared out and it was enjoyable.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Devotee (491) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

$50 for 2 oz of Utopias is high/low/acceptable?

6. rozzom

rozzom Champion (853) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

that was my immediate question

7. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,282) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

It’s very high. I’ve generally paid around $25 for that amount around Boston.

8. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (427) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Given that you wouldn't even notice the $300 bill on your AMEX I'm curious what you thought after drinking 12 oz. of Utopia?

SunDevilBeer, rozzom and jlordi12 like this.
  9. AlcahueteJ

Good to know, I'd like to go back when it's not jam packed, as I really liked the place.

I'm heading to the Tool concert this Thursday, but figure Love Joy would be the better bet (and cheaper).

As I detailed in another thread, I had unlimited pours of Utopias in the past at Extreme Beerfests, and probably paid ~$60 for the ticket. So...

I also have had multiple pours at the Hyper Local beer fest in Somerville, for ~$40 for the ticket.

Definitely wouldn't have paid that if I had known before hand. But it took about 20 minutes to get in, and then another 10 or so minutes to get the drinks. So I just ordered my Utopias and Tilted Barn IPA and cashed out.

Then went to Love Joy...which had a line. So we went to the Alcove, nice cozy bar. Followed up by some Makers Mark RC6 at Rosebud. Joined their whiskey club too. So all was not lost that day.

Huh?

10. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Where? I've only had it once in Boston, and paid ~40 at Post 390 several years ago.

11. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,282) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Off the top of my head, I’ve had it at sunset grill (RIP) and Mead Hall.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. meefmoff

Trader

Oh come on, you can't bail out on this long running joke now! :stuck_out_tongue:

SunDevilBeer, rozzom and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Word.

14. AlcahueteJ

Oh no, I wasn't, I was confused by the 12 oz. comment. Typo then?

I thought you meant I probably spent $300 on Utopias.

meefmoff likes this.
  15. meefmoff

Trader

6 X 2 oz. @ $50 each = 12 oz. for $300

I guess I must have overspecified my joke and blew it!! When you're explaining you're losing...

rozzom and AlcahueteJ like this.
  16. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (462) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I got it haha

meefmoff likes this.
  17. BAllen88

BAllen88 Initiate (3) Oct 23, 2019
    Trader

The big tv is like sitting front row at a movie theatre if you’re not sitting at the restaurant.

The Ginger Man has a very deep list. I’ve had equilibrium Photon there, a Voodoo Brewing last week. Find myself wanting to try a ton of stuff every time I’m there

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

My poor math skills are likely the root cause of my overspending.

Yeah if you're at the bar, the big TV sucks. Poor resolution when you're that close.

rozzom and meefmoff like this.
  19. rozzom

Trader

I hate myself for asking - but can you explain? I still don’t get it. I get the math. I just don’t get the joke / jump to 12oz bit?

I do obviously get the overall banter that $50/2oz is not remotely a find by any definition! Sorry @AlcahueteJ !

AlcahueteJ and meefmoff like this.
  20. meefmoff

Trader

Man did I blow this one!

To overexplain things to death, we have a running joke here about how wealthy @AlcahueteJ is. I was trying to work in a reference to his AMEX card which he recently mentioned in another jokey post about his spending habits. So I was just reaching for an exorbitant dollar amount for him to have spent, and 6 (2 oz) Utopias for $300 seemed like a nicely round and absurd number. That's it. Disappointing huh?

Let's rewind the tape and let me try a different take:

"So, exactly how many of those $50 Utopias ended up on your AMEX card?"

Marginally better, perhaps.

ETA: and I must thank @jlordi12 for navigating that mess of a joke and following what the hell I was talking about.

#20 meefmoff, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    eaglephile, TheOneTC, AirBob and 4 others like this.
  21. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (462) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

haha, I didn't think it was that hard to decipher. Might be spending too much time in the NE Forum ...

AlcahueteJ, meefmoff and rozzom like this.
  22. rozzom

Trader

Are you the guy that the movie A Beautiful Mind is about?

23. AlcahueteJ

Nah. There’s only one place you can spend too much time in.

The Tree House thread.

24. tylerk88

tylerk88 Aspirant (261) Nov 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Had a pour last night and it was very good. I'm to pay $14 for a beer that is otherwise a pain (or impossible) to get a bottle of. I wasn't offered a secret menu, but I did notice some bottles of 3F in the fridge that weren't on the menu I was handed.

25. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (163) Dec 2, 2010 New York

"Ludicrous price-gouging" would be a kind understatement.

Even if they bought it at the same price you or I would pay at a beer store (call it $220) they're making $380 profit per bottle. But given what a bar could get Utopias for the profit is actually higher.

rozzom likes this.
  26. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (18) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Bartender seemed to imply it was only for special events, couldn't really quite tell.

27. DroppinBiscuits

DroppinBiscuits Initiate (36) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Bluebird Bitter and Celebration pints at Fortune Bar in Amesbury

28. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (309) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Great wee spot they got going on there

mrmattosgood likes this.
  29. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (130) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

Would it kill someone to have a bar with dedicated Fantome, 3F, Oxbow, Allagash, JK, SARA, Casey, and Russian River lines?

maybe ten lines and you get the other two for like a bitter and a pilsner?

Davl22 likes this.
  30. Witherby

Witherby Disciple (376) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Two weeks ago I saw that Armsby Abbey in Worcester had Gänstaller Kellerbier on tap so I headed over for a half liter. I was in Franconia this summer and have been jonesing for fresh Kellerbier. They don’t list their prices online (and they don’t list their pour sizes online or even at the bar) but I figured it would be around $9 because that was what I usually have to pay for similar beers there. When I get there it is $12! I was already there and hungry and thirsty so I ordered it despite the price (it was delicious by the way and so was my hamburger) but $50 for two beers (I also had an Oxbow Luppolo) and a hamburger is something I will splurge for only a few times a year.
    A week later I found out that they had this beer on tap at Deep Ellum for $9.50 for a half liter (yes they list the price and pour size online). How the hell could they charge so much more for this beer In Worcester where the costs have to be lower than Allston? So I’m pretty much done with Armsby Abbey. It is close to my house but my wife hates it there since they are militantly anti-vegan. Deep Ellum is close to work so I think I’ll get my German beer fixes there instead.

jbertsch and DucRacer900 like this.
  31. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (85) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Deep Ellum has one of the best (if not the best) German centric taplists in the Boston area, and at decent prices as well. Not exactly "pro-vegan" but they usually have something on their menu.

To @DroppinBiscuits , they had the Bluebird Bitter on for a few months this past summer....love that f*cking beer!

32. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I appreciate this thread, and will definitely add some stuff whenever i see an interesting beer on draft at the places I frequent. In the meantime i would like to say that The Archives in Burlington, VT has one of the best draft lists I've seen...and it's a barcade.

33. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (117) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been enjoying the Mayflower Porter that's popping up on cask around town. Had a nice pour at Olde Magoun's earlier this week. Also had a pint from a cask at Stoddard's that had been charged with cacao nibs. Absolutely delicious in this weather.

34. wilky1

wilky1 Disciple (380) Jun 11, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

How about beer bar prices - I think Beat Brew Hall in Harvard Sq is trying to take the title from Tip Tap Room - $14-16 for IPA cans, $10-12 for session IPA 10 oz pours - jeez.

Trumpetguy and MattOC like this.
  35. AlcahueteJ

I think a lot of those are better in bottles, rather than draft.

Regardless, Publick House should fit this bill right? Very Belgian focused with Rothaus always on tap to round it out.

I don't feel as bad about spending $11.50 for a 10 oz. pour of Tilted Barn's The Other One at Banners now.

I still feel just as bad about spending $50 for 2 oz. of Utopias though.

Sheppard, Rysk22, eaglephile and 2 others like this.
  36. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

That place is rough pricing wise. I was in there awhile back-February- and they had Notch's Cerne Pivo on the "special" cans list. It was $10 for a 16 ounce can(!). At the time Cerne was available at retail spots for around $12/4-pack.

37. BAllen88

BAllen88 Initiate (3) Oct 23, 2019
    Trader

Also not sure how pouring this out of a bottle implicates things. If they opened the bottle 2 months ago for someone's pour is there something different about this beer that makes you less concerned about the pour you're getting now?

On the topic of Banner's, I had a KBS on draft there last weekend and it had a hot sauce taste. Come to find later after talking to my buddy that hot sauce is definitely not an adjunct in this beer (my first time trying). Take that for what you will.

38. AlcahueteJ

Sorry, not following you. What do you mean?

39. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (90) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

The alcohol content. This beer holds up for a looong time, like a bottle of liquor. No concern about it oxidizing like a typical beer.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (85) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Branchline has (had?) it on nitro as well

rhino88888888 likes this.