Beer:Barrel:Time is retired?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by M_chav, Nov 30, 2019.

1. M_chav

M_chav Savant (957) Apr 15, 2014 New Mexico
    Trader

Beer Barrel Time is retired now? I think this is the 3rd consecutive year its been brewed/released, right?

2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,319) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

This beer is listed in vintages, because it spends different times in different barrels every year. So whenever a new vintage comes out, the previous one is retired.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  3. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

This shows an interesting weakness of the search function though, because if you search for "Beer:Barrel:Time" only the original entry will be found, not the vintages. Or rather, the vintage entries will be buried tens of pages deep in the search results.

M_chav, AlcahueteJ and cavedave like this.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,520) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

If you add a "side" to that search (because you are aware that it is from Side Project), you get all of the vintages/variants returned in the search results with nothing else. I use the technique of including at least a portion of the brewery name when I know it to make the search results more relevant.

beergoot, cavedave and Snowcrash000 like this.
  5. M_chav

M_chav Savant (957) Apr 15, 2014 New Mexico
    Trader

Every year of BBT is listed as mentioned, but the listing that was on the top250 list for a long while was a 4th listing with no associated date (year)/batch number...just slightly inconsistent I guess for someone trying to finish the top250 list

6. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

It just doesn't make any sense to have 4 different vintages of the same beer all active at the same time. Another approach would be to merge them all together, the vintage entries all only have very few ratings compared to the original one anyway. However, it could be argued that vintages are justified because the beer is aged in different barrels for different amounts of time every year, hence the name.

This really demonstrates quite well how a weak search function, or lazy users, depending on your viewpoint, can cause problems. BBT has 189 ratings, dated from 2017 to 2019, while the vintage entries only have 2-5 ratings. So it's clear that most people have been rating the wrong beer all along because the vintage entries did not show up in search results.