Beer Books for Beginners

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KACK1533, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KACK1533

KACK1533 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2016 Massachusetts

I have the World Atlas of Beer, Tasting Beer, The Beer Book, and the Encyclopedia of Beer. Any other good beer guides/books I should seek for my "baby" beer library?

NanookinTexas and spookyspeeg like this.
  2. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,085) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

NanookinTexas and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. Justin82

Justin82 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

For me "The Joy of Home Brewing" by charlie papazian has done more for me than any other beer book

4. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (743) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Foyle likes this.
  5. jakemn91

jakemn91 Crusader (769) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

Vintage Beer by Patrick Dawson is one of my favorites. I bought it off Amazon about a year ago and I use it often when organizing and adding to my cellar.

Jwale73 likes this.
  6. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (76) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth

7. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

SammyJaxxxx, rfgetz, stevoj and 3 others like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I recently finished The Great Beer Trek (Revised & Updated) by Stephen Morris. It's a somewhat humorous travelogue of his pub crawls around the US that is set in the late 70s or early 80s, so it predates the real craft movement. (There is also the first version of this book, but the revised edition is exactly the same book about the brewery/bar visit details as was written in the first book, it's just the lists of local breweries, good beer bars, etc. are updated in the revised book.)

But your question pops up on a regular basis. Here is a link to a thread that I found by doing a search of thread titles using 'reading' as my search word. You can try other words, or page back about 3 months which is about when I recall this topic last being active. http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/what-beer-book-are-you-reading-right-now.61990/

NanookinTexas and Foyle like this.
  9. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,639) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

One of my personal favorites (outside of home brewing books) ...

[​IMG]

10. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

The Oxford Companion to Beer.

warrendietrich2001 and Foyle like this.
  11. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,189) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

from another thread (removed the ones having to do with brewing)
    The Perfect Keg (all over the place, but a really good read and lots of history thrown in)
    Tasting Beer - Randy Mosher
    I also think it would be beneficial to read some of the books from the Brewing Elements Series on Yeast, Malt and Hops. I just finished Chris Whites book on Yeast (Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements)) and found it very interesting

NanookinTexas likes this.
  12. Chinaskifan1

Chinaskifan1 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I read a great book called "A History of the World in Six Glasses." It covered not only beer, but wine, whiskey, tea, coffee, and cola, and how through history wars have been fought over them, how they were made and why, etc. Good reading.

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  13. BrewMan13

BrewMan13 Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2004 New York

Tasting Beer - Randy Mosher (see you already have this)
    Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher (especially if you're a homebrewer)
    The brewmasters table - Garrett Oliver
    Beer school - Steve Hindy and Tom Potter (if you're interesting in the business side of things - by the Brooklyn brewery guys)
    I also personally love reading about this history of beer/brewing, though I can't remember what specific books I have right now.

14. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff. They have a whole series with hops, malt, and water that I need to get in to next.

jhavs likes this.
  15. brewmudgeon

brewmudgeon Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Wisconsin

Ambitious Brew by Ogle is a fun read.

16. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,791) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The Brewmaster's Table is the best beer book out there. I still re-read sections of it regularly.

NizzleEGizzle and LeRose like this.
  17. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

eLMsITYbUM likes this.
  18. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Wife got me a copy for Christmas. Quite well done and reasonably accurate so far as I've been able to judge it.

Ranbot likes this.
  19. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

It was on my Amazon wishlist and no one in my family bought it for me. :slight_frown:

20. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,722) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Love this book. Good call.

21. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,722) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Depends on your interests - history, the brewing process, food pairings? Or are you like me and want to learn anything about beer and brewing? Even if you don't home brew, you can learn a lot by reading books on how to brew.

There's some excellent suggestions already, but if you have a particular focus in mind maybe they can be streamlined some.

22. BeerKarmaNYC

BeerKarmaNYC Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2015 New York

23. stevoj

stevoj Poo-Bah (9,870) Nov 22, 2011 Idaho
    Society

CJNAPS likes this.
  24. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

The Beer Bible
    The Brewmaster's Table
    The Oxford Companion to Beer
    The Audacity of Hops

eLMsITYbUM likes this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,063) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

How to brew is a great home brewing book that breaks down the process.

26. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Defender (697) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

I have seen it posted here but I will repeat it... The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth is a fantastic book and a great guide to the world of BEER. Another good book that talks about how craft brewers do it is We Make Beer by Sean Lewis. And another good guide would be The Complete Beer Course by Joshua M. Bernstein.
    And for a great story about one of the huge macro lagers try Citizen Coors by Dan Baum. This is a fantastic book about a Prussian immigrant with a vision.

27. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society

This SITE is the best beer "book" for anyone to enjoy. :wink::slight_smile:

IowaBiertrinker and BeerBobber like this.
  28. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

At times it was a slow read, but it was great to get the layout of craft beer history. Being from Northern California it was cool to read how important Norcal was to it all.

29. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (68) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Your profile indicates that you reside in MA. so I would recommend you pick up a current copy of Ale Street News (Vol. 24- No. 6) as it features a story on beer reads. The "brewspaper" should be available at many good bars and package stores near you. Or you can hit up the website at www.alestreetnews.com to find out where to pick up a copy. As far as your question goes, it is kind of well broad. What I mean is you don't really mention what you're interests may be. The answer would vary if you were looking for "homebrewing" books for example. I'm sure many reads in this thread will steer you in the right direction as well. If you're looking for some local writers who discuss the very region in which you live, may I suggest Beer Lover's New England or Boston Beer written by Norman Miller, or The Good Beer Guide to New England by Andy Crouch. For more homebrewing books: Charlie Papazian or Randy Mosher are both great authors. For books by brewers, I liked Garrett Oliver's The Brewmaster's Table. Also anything you come across from Michael Jackson is usually great. Search your local bookseller or at Amazon and buy based on your interests. Have fun, hope this thread helps you find what you are looking for.

30. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (68) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Saw this at the new Bull Moose in Keene the other day flipped through it, thought it was kind of neat, pondered spending $12 on it. Now I'm thinking I'll go back and grab a copy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.