Beer Bread

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by chuck-chillout, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuck-chillout

chuck-chillout Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Ohio

Whos made it...which beer (type) do you perfer to make it with.

(I plan on making some for the first time, just wanted to ask my BA's about it...)

2. wborr82

wborr82 Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 Florida

IPAs. I've made beer bread and pretzels with Jai Alai. Both were great.

3. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

My wife has made it in the past. Pretty sure she used Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Stone IPA. It turned out pretty good, wouldn't mind having it again. Although I might have her use a different beer this time to see if there is a difference.

4. deadbody

deadbody Aspirant (295) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Some sort of flavorful stout. Made a loaf with a maple stout that was amazeballs.

chuck-chillout likes this.
  5. Tertullian007

Tertullian007 Aspirant (296) Nov 4, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I have made it a lot. Don't waste an expensive beer on it. My favorites have been Schlafly pumpkin ale and Lagunitas Little sumpin wild. Guineas foreign export was also a good one.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. Infinite1

Infinite1 Aspirant (273) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Are there made with the packets from Tastefully Simple ? If so my wife makes it with crappy Miller Lite.. I wonder how much better they would be with real beer ?

7. T-Bird

T-Bird Initiate (118) Aug 26, 2013 Ohio

Rather than use actual beer, we've made it using the leftover grains from the mash from a home brewer friend of mine. We just took a normal whole grain bread recipe and liberally substituted the mash grain in place of the normal grain. It makes a really dense and tasty bread.

chuck-chillout likes this.
  8. benbking

benbking Disciple (304) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

i made an oatmeal molasses bread with half a bottle of Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout. It was pretty damn good.

9. blue-dream

blue-dream Crusader (775) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)
    Beer Trader

my wife keeps trying to make it, but i drink all beer before she can.

10. chuck-chillout

chuck-chillout Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Ohio

Thanx guys....it is mos def going down this weekend for the game(s). Beer...Beer Bread...some roasted animal..and football.... LOL :) :) :) :)

founder26 and blue-dream like this.
  11. dieBlume

dieBlume Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Virginia

Trust me, it makes a difference. The people I used to live it would always make it with shitty beer. Then I brought a sixer of Franziskaner Hefe. The taste difference was so big that they keep some on hand *just* for when they use that mix for beer bread.

chuck-chillout and Infinite1 like this.
  12. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Would you mind sharing a recipe, or do you change it up?

13. Tertullian007

Tertullian007 Aspirant (296) Nov 4, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I hate to disappoint, but this is the secret to my beer bread,
    [​IMG]

lambpasty and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

You strike me as a bacon and cheddar kind of man. :)

15. Infinite1

Infinite1 Aspirant (273) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Bacon and Cheddar sound awesome.. What beer would you use ?? An IPA ?

16. csurowiec

csurowiec Disciple (398) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

Here is a tried and true scratch recipe for a beer batter bread. I've always made it with a middle of the road amber or pale ale, nothing excessively dark or hoppy or high abv.

3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 12oz beer room temp
    1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
    1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar (optional)
    Preheat oven to 375. In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and the cheese if using it. Add the beer all at once mixing until just combined. Pour the batter into a loaf pan then pour the melted butter over the top of the batter. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Enjoy

lambpasty and creepinjeeper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More