Beer Bummers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ohiovania, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

What's your beer bummer?

I just popped the top on a growler of a one-off Four Roses BA Imperial Stout to discover they accidentally gave me the wrong beer. Keg kicked 4 days ago or else I'd drive back up to the brewery to get the right beer.

Luckily I did have a tiny sample at the brewery, which was phenomenal, but man-o-man was I looking forward to this growler.

Misery loves company, haha. So if you have a story, share it.

D-HopSupreme likes this.
  2. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,313) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Buying a beer that I have never tried, only to get home, take a sip, and its awful, because it is old or expired !!!

3. DaverCS

DaverCS Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

Buying a beer I have never tried before, only to get home, take a sip, and it is awful! Wasting money on bad beer is terrible in general!

If the beer is both old and bad, that's even worse!!!

I also hate gushers! Goodbye 1/2 of a potentially amazing beer!!! :angry:

hophugger, Fox82791 and edd562 like this.
  4. --Dom--

--Dom-- Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

Anchor Christmas ale... I drain poured the one I opened and took the other 5 to a random Christmas party and left them there.

WCKDVBZ and dcotom like this.
  5. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Got 2 bottles of dark penace last week, didn't realize they were from 2014. 2015 dark penance doesn't hit til October. Good strategy by the distributors...re-release the old shit from last year right before the new stuff comes out

6. mudbug

mudbug Defender (606) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Voodoo Doughnut Abomination. Paid 15 bucks each for three of them and took them to a block party. Opened one to share and saw them all go down the drain, tried to leave the other two and found them on my porch in the morning. Bummer

CMiesen, Gemmell, JayWhitson and 4 others like this.
  7. akrz47

akrz47 Initiate (0) May 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Bought an entire box of stuff from Trillium once. I think the lady who works the counter doesn't know how to read or something, because every single beer was wrong when I got home. And they hand pick everything out for you one beer at a time, one customer at a time, so it's not like I "grabbed someone else's box." Anyway, they didn't respond to my phone message about getting the wrong beers and didn't reserve it for me per my request (as some were limited), so my opinion of Trillium people has been pretty negative ever since. I say people, because yeah of course I still love the effing beer haha. But that really prevents me from ever loving the brewery. Kinda sucks.

Ohiovania likes this.
  8. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I've got to try that voodoo doughnut stuff someday. Morbid curiosity.

akrz47 likes this.
  9. mudbug

Nothing like a good dose of self loathing.

ceeg, Gemmell, 5thOhio and 4 others like this.
  10. akrz47

akrz47 Initiate (0) May 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Hahaha same sentiment. Curiosity, though not looking forward to it. "Morbid" is a good descriptor :stuck_out_tongue:

lester619 likes this.
  11. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Opening a "Rare" beer just to like Shelf options a bit More :slight_frown:.

12. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,321) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Spending $20 on a bomber only to find out it was mishandled and the cap was busted just enough for it to leak.

Tried explaining it to the owner, but he wasn't buying it. Half my fault for not inspecting the bottle.

edd562 likes this.
  13. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,760) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

I bought a bottle of Terrapin pumpkinfest from my local abc, the next day went to open it and saw on the side of the label say seasonal 2013. Called Terrapin the next day and they said it wouldn't taste good. That abc or the supplier must have kept it in the stockroom shelves over the season. They ended up sending me a tee shirt and abc traded that bottle for a bottle of devil dancer.

14. MelFreedman

MelFreedman Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Massachusetts

Uh oh...isn't that the one I got for you Jen_Red???

15. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (466) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

You see the hype online...

You read the reviews online...

You think this is going to be right up your alley...

You call the store...

You check facebook...

You call the store the next day...

You spend your lunch break finally getting a bottle...

You chill it...

You speed up the chill with your favorite freezer method...

You pop the top...

...and it isn't what you hoped.

THAT is my beer bummer

16. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

Trying countless hyped, limited stouts only to discover I still prefer the easy to get FIS to all of them.

BreakfastStout and LankFreudRyte like this.
  17. edd562

edd562 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 California

I have a list of beers I want to try some rare and some that sit on shelves at bevmo or total wine, I finally got a chance to acquire chocolate sombrero from clown shoes, I left it on the table for hours, I finally get around to open it and it was a gusher! There was maybe like 3-4 ounces in the bottle. I contacted clown shoes and they send me a replacement along with a nice little treat. Gotta love them.

18. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

drinking a growler of a dipa by myself and then throwing up everywhere

19. PourMore

PourMore Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

I have much respect for Hof Ten Dormaal, but... I had this beer (link) and something must have gone wrong in bottling or shipping. Because it was flat as flat can be. Tasted pretty good, but couldn't drink the whole bottle by myself with ZERO carbonation.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23031/84096/

20. mudbug

Thats either a rights of passage or a BA faildebummer

Beef_Curtains likes this.
  21. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Bought some Lagunitas daytime the other week, OH! look! the Julian code is in the 200s this is way fresh . bought it. Got home. Look to the right, the year code is 2014. An almost entire year old six pack. Still were good, but man what a bummer.

Also buying some Ruination 2.0 that was 3 weeks past date because I couldn't find any more sixers since my first months back, only to realize that stuff does turn way bitter in not a good way.

donspublic likes this.
  22. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,881) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Had that happen a few times with Lagunitas also, I really enjoy their beers but I hate their bottle dating. Just put a "normal" date on the bottle, I'm tired of doing internet research every time I want to buy one of their IPA's. :confused:

jrnyc likes this.
  23. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,983) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Going to pile on Lagunitas here, cannot get it fresh in Houston. Luckily I can catch it on tap every now and then. So I end up paying a $3 premium and have to guzzle it in 3 days

24. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Two nights ago I gave myself a good pour of Fundamental Observation, the cat jumped up on the coffee table, didn't see my beer there, knocked it on to the floor, I lost my favorite tulip along with about 7oz of FO, and the couch was soaked with an imperial stout. Fucking cat.

Ohiovania and Blueglass like this.
  25. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 California

Friend of mine filled a growler with Kern River's anniversary Triple IPA, only to have it tip over and leak completely out in his car on the way down the mountain

upsbeernut and Ohiovania like this.
  26. BernieO

BernieO Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2015 California

Lord Hobo Steal This Can and Bitch Creek ESB.

27. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 California

Holding onto a beer too long when you know you should have opened it months ago. Had a 2010 rose de gam earlier this week. It was good but the fruit is definitely falling off. Probably should have opened it 2-3 years ago. It was a bummer.

28. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (276) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Leaving a beer in the freezer too long, waiting for 12:30 to come on a Sunday, and finding a new IPA after you already bought your allotment for the week.

29. upsbeernut

Big growler?

30. tillmac62

tillmac62 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina

Being told by TW that "no we don't have it, our inventory is wrong."

donspublic and JimmyTheDook like this.
  31. upsbeernut

Also not finishing your growler in 3 days. FLAT!

32. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,554) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

That isn't a bummer. FIS is easy to get and you can stock it up when it is available. Stop trying limited stouts, and you'll save a lot of money, too.

33. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Crusader (724) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Last week, I went to our little neighborhood taproom. They had Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break on tap - for $8.50 a pop. I decide to bite the bullet and get a glass. I take one sip and I knew they gave me the wrong beer. It tasked like root beer. It had a very pronounced liquorice flavor - not the coffee stout goodness that I have had before. I tried to explain to the person behind the counter that this was not the right beer. But they wouldn't listen and said it was supposed to taste like that... I put the glass down and walked out.

MisterB330 likes this.
  34. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

I stopped buying Lagunitas because of their invisible, hard to decipher bottle dates. So much great beer out there, I just move on to the next brewer with legible dates.

jzeilinger and donspublic like this.
  35. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Buying a hyped BA Stout and hating it, but not being sure if it sucked/something was wrong with it or it's just my palate immaturity with that style.

36. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

Many years ago, pool party and I'm working on the girl to go out, she finally says yes and can I please have one of your beers, Bingo, I run to the cooler and running back I fall with unopened bottles in each hand, both broke and both hands were quite lacerated, way too much blood to set up a date. Hands are still scarred and I don't remember her name.

37. JimmyTheDook

JimmyTheDook Initiate (23) Oct 27, 2011 Texas

Everyone's experiences are different but I have never seen a cat knock something off a table accidentally and I just can't picture it happening. Sorry about your beer, tulip, and couch. I hope the couch wears the stain like a battle scar and it is a nice conversation piece.

the_trystero likes this.
  38. JimmyTheDook

JimmyTheDook Initiate (23) Oct 27, 2011 Texas

That happened to me! I saw it in their inventory online, called the store and got verification, and then raced to get there only to be told the same thing. It was Parabola and it was a naive moment on my part that it would just be sitting there but that is why I called. What beer did you miss out on?

39. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Unfortunately that happens all too often these days. I stopped buying full sixpacks of previously untried beers years ago once I realized that 50% of the time, the beer is lousy (with the inflated prices adding insult to injury).

40. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Westbrook being hard to get one state away.:slight_frown:

Cottontown201 and 5thOhio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.