Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer Cabinets / In-Home Bar / Storage

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Heferwiezer, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heferwiezer

Heferwiezer Jan 21, 2009 Wisconsin

Hi Guys,

Looking for some ideas for what to store my beer in (aside from some cardboard boxes).

The lady and I moved into a move place and we are looking for something a bit more presentable to store a portion of my beer in.

Would love to see what everyone else is doing!

Cheers

2. Jwale73

Jwale73 Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

3. ne0m00re

ne0m00re Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

My apartment is short on space and we don't age more than a few dozen large-format bottles at a time, so we bought a couple over-the-door canvas shoe racks. They look pretty good and work for our situation. It seems like a lot of "presentable" bottle storage units are intended for wine and hold the bottles on their sides, which isn't recommended for beer.

4. jesster64

jesster64 Aug 3, 2013 New Jersey

5. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Frankly, I think storing your beer on it's side at a stable cellar temperature behind UV blocking glass is probably preferable to storing at room temperature out in the open.

6. ne0m00re

ne0m00re Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

Storing your beer upright at a stable cellar temperature (specific to the style) out of all light of wavelengths less than 550nm is preferable. Storing your beer upright at a stable room temperature mostly shielded by canvas from occasional diffuse room lighting isn't a bad compromise for an apartment short on space.
    Personally, I think the concern is overblown; I've never had any of my aged beer noticeably develop light-struck flavors with this setup, but much of my "cellared" beer isn't exactly prone to skunking anyway (e.g., sours). I have a keezer for hoppy beers.
    I should add that my comment about storing beer on its side was an aside regarding the difficulty of finding a "presentable" beer storage format that fits the requirements listed above and is within a budget. If I were to invest in a windowed fridge for cellaring (which I think is a good option), I'd simply modify the shelving, but that's not a high priority for me.

7. texasdrugaddict

texasdrugaddict Oct 11, 2012 New Mexico

I got this in my living room and most that come over don't even notice it.
    [​IMG]

Its a old hide away bar.
    [​IMG]
    Glasses on the shelves beer underneath the glasses.
    [​IMG]

Other side has liquor but could hold around 100 or so beer bottles if filled with nothing but beer.

8. texasdrugaddict

texasdrugaddict Oct 11, 2012 New Mexico

Just got done yesterday refinishing this little hide away cabinet I found at goodwill last week
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe