Beer Documentaries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RoyMaas, Mar 23, 2020.

1. RoyMaas

RoyMaas Initiate (52) Nov 22, 2017 Netherlands
    Trader

Hi all,

I’m not sure if their is already a threat like this, if so please show me where and delete this one.

I’ve seen a couple of documentaries like Grit and Grain: the story of Bourbon County Stout

but would like to see more interesting stories about beer, breweries and the people behind the scene.

cheers!!

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,477) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Society Trader

All episodes of Michael Jackson's "The Beer Hunter" are on YouTube as far as I know. It is a little old, but still very worth watching. The episode about the US is really fun just to see how far things have come.

3. kuhndog

kuhndog Disciple (332) Sep 6, 2011 New York

There are a lot on Amazon Prime video. At least 20+. Just search "beer". I like "Beerland" and "The Beer Jesus From America", both are made by Matt Sweetwood. Also "Crafting a Nation", "Kings of Beer", "Beer Wars", etc.

hottenot, Trull, dukeandduke and 2 others like this.
  4. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (154) May 5, 2013 Illinois

Youtube has a handful of shows, generally localized, specific to say Colorado or New England etc. Often they're ab out 15-25 minutes, meet the owners and brewers, get the history etc.

hottenot, dukeandduke and RoyMaas like this.
  5. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (111) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Thanks for these. I've been meaning to watch Beer Wars on Prime, but had no idea there were so many others.

6. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (11,583) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

I'd love to find the show the guys from BrewDog hosted. That was tons of fun!

ericwo, hottenot and RoyMaas like this.
  7. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (192) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Beerland is nearly unwatchable... Meg from Golden Road has absolutely no personality and is a detractor to this series. She has very little credibility, she was working in Marketing at Oskar Blues then some dude threw money at here to open GR in LA. From what i read from one of the OG brewers there she had very little to do with any of the recipes. She is a fraud and was doing the guy from AB that brokered the sale of GR.

If you can find any of the BrewDog series on line, its worth a watch. At least they dont take themselves seriously at all.

kennyo, ericwo, tzieser and 2 others like this.
  8. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (111) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

She is pretty much unwatchable for sure. I tried to watch the show on Viceland that she was hosting because I'm obviously interested in local beer culture in different areas. Everything she says is monotone, and she never seems excited about anything. It's just bad.

9. kuhndog

kuhndog Disciple (332) Sep 6, 2011 New York

The "beerland" I'm talking about is this one https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2251818/ . It's a documentary about beer in Germany. I agree that the "beerland" series, with Meg from Golden road, is absolutely terrible!

10. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (2,627) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

The Beer Hunter (series) - Michael Jackson (not the musician): One of my personal favorites, although it's from the late 80's.

Beer Culture the Movie (2013) - It's pretty short but there's some good insight and personal stories.

Beer Wars (2009) - Probably one of the more popular documentaries about the beer industry.

Beertickers Beyond the Ale (2009) - UK movie about ticking off beer. There are some people who have been doing it long before smartphones so it's pretty interesting.

How Beer Saved the World (2011) - Another one that's probably pretty popular. It goes into beer origin theory.

A Conversation with Michael Jackson, The Beer Hunter (2016) - Shelton Brothers movie with Michael Jackson from 2007 before he passed away.

World in a Glass of Beer (History Channel, 2015) - More historical information about brewing.

Beerland (series) - Homebrewing "gone pro" competition show with Meg Gill.

Brew Masters - Dogfish Head show. Goes into some history about how DFH came up with their beer ideas.

Brew Dogs - Brewdog show. They tour some places. Information vs. sensationalism is hit or miss.

11. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (412) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Wasn't there also Beer Geeks, with The head brewmaster from BJ's brewhouse, Michael Ferguson, I think his name is?

hottenot likes this.
  12. BeerGeekExtraordinaire

BeerGeekExtraordinaire Initiate (32) Mar 6, 2020 Illinois

Go find "The Story Of The Spotted Cow" on You Tube about New Glarus. It is a neat story.

RoyMaas likes this.
  13. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,738) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

If you want a more entertainment-oriented, light program, try the Mike Rowe "How Booze Built America" series.

14. DiUr

DiUr Initiate (194) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

There is a recent Spanish documentary about lambic which looks great. The soundbites in the trailer might feel superficial for a connaisseur, but still can´t wait to watch it (I missed a screening at my local a few months ago).

15. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (299) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

How stuff works not bad. Good Narration.

How things used to be in the bar scenes.

How I miss it already.

#15 hottenot, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    dukeandduke and RoyMaas like this.
  16. RoyMaas

Trader

I’ve contacted them and they are working on a way to rent the movie online. Waiting on that one, just as Bottle Condition also about Lambics.

DiUr and dukeandduke like this.
  17. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (38) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

I found the series "James May Drinks to Britain" ("Oz and James Drink to Britain" in the UK) very entertaining.

RoyMaas and dukeandduke like this.
  18. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,122) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Nice suggestion, I’ve never seen that one.

They should make a “Richard Hammond drinks to America” version (lame Top Gear joke, I know :joy:)

RoyMaas, dukeandduke and JSullivan like this.
  19. RoyMaas

Trader

I’m not sure if the old ones at on their, but if you go to the brewdog network on YouTube you will find new episodes. Watched the LA episode yesterday and it’s funny.

zeff80 likes this.
  20. beerthulhu

beerthulhu Poo-Bah (4,443) Jan 14, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

though a bit older, "American Beer" offered some interesting interviews and insight to the early breweries such as SN, DFH, Bells, Sam Adams, as well others.

RoyMaas likes this.
  21. imtroy703

imtroy703 Disciple (388) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

"Beer-n-BBQ by Larry" on youtube.

RoyMaas likes this.