Beer events impacted by COVID-19 concerns

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Todd, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

As cases of coronavirus and public health and safety concerns spread, I have a feeling that we're going to see a rise in cancelations, postponements, and precautions being implemented by beer event organizers around the world.

So far, I've seen:
    If you know of others, please post them here.

This thread isn't for rumors, speculation, question about events, or opinions on what events are or should be doing, just post any confirmed events (include a link if possible) that you know of. Other posts will be removed to keep the thread focused and helpful.

Thanks.

pudgym29, eppCOS, hottenot and 2 others like this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

The Washington Cask Beer fest has been cancelled.

3. short_pour_zan

short_pour_zan Initiate (34) May 4, 2018 Washington

So far in the Seattle area we've seen Bacon, Eggs and Kegs (March 14) and the WA Brewer's Guild Cask Fest (March 28) cancelled.

Sound_Explorer likes this.
  4. Samuel_D

Samuel_D Initiate (119) Sep 27, 2018 France

5. Fermented-Explorer

Fermented-Explorer Initiate (15) Nov 19, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

After many hours of conversation, and in consultation with local public health officials, the Northwest Cider Association has made the difficult decision to postpone the NW Cider Symposium due to the spread of COVID-19 virus in Washington state. This was a difficult decision, as we all were excited to learn, grow and connect with our Northwest cider community.

https://www.nwcider.com/nw-cider-symposium-postponed/

6. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (239) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Dublin cancelled the St. Patrick's Day parade, so there's that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago and Boston do the same depending on how the next couple of days go.

7. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (250) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Boston canceled as well.

8. Todd

9. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Savant (954) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

South by Southwest (SXSW) is cancelled down in Austin. That's a lot of beer that won't get drunk this year.

Harrison8 and BrewHound601 like this.
  10. Todd

11. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,076) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I have had 2 keg orders cancelled because the event organizers are worried about the virus since it was announced last night that we have it in the Detroit area.

12. BrewHound601

BrewHound601 Initiate (51) Jan 30, 2020

sucks for your business; not trying to sound condescending

13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,828) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

14. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

The City of Seattle has banned public gatherings of over 250 people. No sports, large concerts, etc.

AlcahueteJ and Harrison8 like this.
  15. Todd

Boston Beer & Cheese Fest has been canceled.

Harrison8 likes this.
  16. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Savant (978) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

To be fair that was Governor Inslee's call, but yeah. My work shut down until Monday because a front office gal tested positive for corona.

17. kodt

kodt Defender (609) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Yup

Chicago St Patty's Day parades (downtown & south side & northwest side) are all cancelled.

18. Todd

The National Beer Wholesalers Association's (NBWA) just canceled their Legislative Conference.

19. BenAdvocate

BenAdvocate Sales Manager (508) Jul 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Staff Society

20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,185) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

The city of Somerville (just outside of Boston) canceled any events with 50 or more people through April 30th.

And any events with 49 or less will require enough space so each attendee can stand 6 feet or more from one another. I’m sure this will limit events as well.

I’m fearful that NERAX will be canceled in April in Boston. I will post here as soon as I hear anything.

ichorNet, Harrison8, meefmoff and 2 others like this.
  21. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (573) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9pFSrbn1J5/

Finback's Whale Watching fest in Pawtucket, RI on March 28th postponed to a future date TBD. Was about to pull the trigger on a ticket a few weeks ago but wisely decided to wait it out as long as possible.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. Parmesan

Parmesan Poo-Bah (2,149) Jun 12, 2015 Colorado
    Society Trader

Via their Facebook page, Weldwerks has postponed their 5th anniversary celebration.

23. Rocktire

Rocktire Initiate (66) Jan 15, 2017 New York

Westchester Beer Fest in White Plains, NY, scheduled for this Saturday postponed. Also NYC St Paddys day parade, Yonkers parade, White Plains parade all cancelled.

24. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (299) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Can't find any information about beer event cancellations in Charlotte, NC

This may change rather quickly.

One would think.

25. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,430) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I’d be interested in hearing of beer related events that are going on as planned.

Elkevjoe likes this.
  26. Reef

Reef Crusader (745) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

An hour ago Michael Brawley tweeted that Black and Blue 11 is postponed. Date TBD. Refund info will be posted on Facebook.

27. traction

traction Zealot (505) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

That is sad but I am confident it is going to be an extremely awesome event whenever it is rescheduled. Better safe than sorry I guess

28. traction

traction Zealot (505) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

The Erin Express Bar Crawl in Philadelphia isn't cancelled and are resisting calls to cancel.

PA-Michigander likes this.
  29. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,777) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,967) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

It's looking like the Boston Marathon is going to be postponed, which is April 20th this year. Hope to hear soon. I wouldn't be surprised if NERAX got shut down as well.

If NERAX is still on, and the same weekend, I may still use my flights to try some cask ale.

Locally speaking: no crowds over 1,000 people for the next 21 days. No immediate effects on beer outside of cancelling the BIG 12 tournament. There is a beer festival; however, according to Facebook attendance numbers, it's in the clear with under 1,000 going.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (446) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

The organizers have emailed that they'll be meeting on Sunday to decide on things. They did not sound optimistic and given what's happened just today in the Boston area (lots more school closings, etc.) I'd say it's all but certain to be canceled.

AlcahueteJ, zid and Harrison8 like this.
  32. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Bell's Brewery has announced that all public events that involve over 100 people at the Eccentric Cafe are cancelled until April 30th, and brewery tours are also cancelled. The Cafe and General Store are open. Details about changes applicable to Oberon Day are forthcoming. Check social media for complete details.

33. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,515) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm brewing a few batches of beer this weekend for a homebrew festival next month in Asheville called Just Brew It. I'm going to be devastated if it's canceled but at least I'll have plenty of beer if it is

34. Todd

There are too many to keep up with at this point.

35. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (139) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Philadelphia is the same city I keep seeing touted as an example of what happened when events were not cancelled during the Spanish Flu pandemic. You'd think this wouldn't be happening but here you are. https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-pandemic-response-cities

meefmoff and traction like this.
  36. Todd

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  37. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (412) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

From what I hear, they'll be meeting over the weekend to decide. Hoping it's still on... but we'll see..

38. PABrewReview

PABrewReview Initiate (142) Apr 30, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

39. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (374) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Trader

NYS Craft Brewer's Festival (4/4 Albany)
    "Due to the Governors ban on events larger than 500 people, it is with a heavy heart that we inform you that the New York State Craft Brewers Festival is canceled...Our plans are to reschedule this event in 2020"

Due to the crowd ban Tap-NY (4/25-26 Hunter Mountain) will also be announcing soon .

40. LampertLand

LampertLand Poo-Bah (2,435) Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)
    Society