Beer Fridge Temp Dilemma

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ironchefmiyagi13, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

So last year I bought a cool beer fridge for a nice price. Kept my precious babies at a cool temp and lulled me into a false sense of security. Recently, I bought a temperature gun (drunk 3am impulse buy) and noticed that my beers were at around 39-43 degrees. I turned the dial all the way down to keep them from getting that cold, but it doesn't help. It now hovers around 40-43 degrees.

Now to my question, I know that it is not below freezing, so that is not a problem, but I do not want my beers to be so cold that the yeast go into a dormant stage and do not continue to develop the beer (this is mainly for my big sour collection).

Am I being paranoid, or is that too low of a temp for beer?

2. nightfly

nightfly Initiate (107) Feb 11, 2010 District of Columbia

Firestone Walker recommends 45°. Bell's recommends you keep Black Note refrigerated. 39° sounds a little dicey, but what do I know.

3. MrShake

MrShake Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2013 Illinois

I keep my cellar at 55... If I were you I'd get an external controller of some kind and keep that baby warmer.

4. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (231) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Bottle conditioned yeast will change the beer slightly, but the big thing that contributes to changes over time is oxidation. Colder temps will slow the process down but won't stop it. As long as you're not at a extremely cold/freezing temp your beers will be fine long term.

5. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

If you are looking to 'cellar' these beers and not 'preserve' them, I would look to raise that temp by about 10 degrees. Look into a temperature control unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.