Beer & Golf

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mrmattosgood, Feb 19, 2021.

1. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (207) Nov 6, 2010 Saint Lucia
    Trader

For all the hackers out there playing bogey golf, (and this is a bit of shameless self-promotion) today's top story on Golf [dot] com is about the marriage of golf and beer. Enjoy!

Up here in the northeast, my clubs are hibernating. Hoping they'll be coming out of such a slumber sooner rather than later!

2. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (631) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Well done!

My clubs have been hibernating for five years. Maybe this is the year...

3. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (102) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

My golf game begins to suffer starting on about the 7th hole, which coincides with about my 3rd or 4th beer.

4. MattThomas

MattThomas Initiate (112) Jul 20, 2004 Indiana

Very nice story. Linking a year-around draw for golf courses has always been something of a challenge (growing up in Michigan and now being in Northern Indiana). I hope more brewers and golf course owners look to partner up.

GreenBayBA, ChicagoJ and mrmattosgood like this.
  5. Mojo

Mojo Champion (822) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

Beer=swing oil:grin::grin:

6. pbrian

pbrian Defender (698) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Cool article- that would be great to end a round and have a brewery on premises, but most 19th holes around have pretty good tap lists as it is. And yeah, I love a round of golf with my buddies kicking back a couple (or more likely few+) beers. For me, breaking 100 is a good day

7. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Initiate (171) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

My game is just the opposite, after my 3rd beer of the day my game tends to improve!

Beerbadger55, readyski and GreenBayBA like this.
  8. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (310) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

I can't wait to get back out there

I'm flirting with going to a Top Golf that's around me because of heated driving ranges but I'm still being extra cautious.

Hefe's are my beer golf drink of choice. I have no idea why.

GreenBayBA and mrmattosgood like this.
  9. mrmattosgood

Trader

Yeah, just reporting this story got me wanting to take some hacks. Being stranded inside with three kids in the New England winter is brutal.

lucius10, GreenBayBA and Kraz like this.
  10. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (419) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Beer and golf? I tried golf at Glendoveer near my home in the Portland Oregon suburbs in the 60's (before I was of legal age). Now you can golf at the Glendoveer public course and (post-covid restrictions) grab a first rate beer at the von Ebert brew pub in the clubhouse. Or better, skip the golf and go right to the bar. You'll get better beer at a public course than is served at those expensive golf clubs.

11. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,173) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Beer and golf is a great combo if you don’t really care about your scores or being competitive. Yeah I play about 1x a year for the last decade+ so I stopped setting any personal scores to break or competing with family or friends in any way.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  12. mrmattosgood

Trader

The deciding line for me was this: I'm paying to play golf. I might as well pair my afternoon outside with some buddies with a few beers (mostly Miller Lite, usually). If I was getting paid to play that round, I'd probably hold off until my round was over.

Plus, you can absolutely still be "good" (this is a relative term) and competitive while enjoying some beers during a round.

oldmankoch, GreenBayBA and cjgiant like this.
  13. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,386) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Nice article. I can't recall if I was that into craft beer when I played Pinerhurst (not the famed course - way too expensive), but I'd love to enjoy a craft beer now, afterwards, to nail home the experience.

That said, a lot of craft beer I love doesn't quite fit on the course. I'm happy that quite a few of the courses around me have found ways to have local brewers' lighter/flagship beers in the beer cart.

It all depends how the round is going - well means a Coors Light/Miller Lite to not throw things too far off. A bad round puts beer more to the forefront of the day, for some odd reason :wink:

GreenBayBA and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. mrmattosgood

Trader

I was interested in the two angles you mentioned here. Pinehurst could sell their beer based on brand recognition. The beer could've been shit, but it said Pinehurst, so it would sell. I was happy to learn they're really trying to do it well.

The other being that I agree that a lot of "craft" options don't fit well when I'm trying to play at least somewhat respectably. Even as someone who typically avoids beers above 7%, I don't even know that I'd want a 5.5% witbier or helles until after the round. I'm very happy drinking macro options all round.

GreenBayBA and cjgiant like this.
  15. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,386) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Yes, there’s a tolerance (not alcohol) we each have for each situation. I’m thinking of heavier beers in general... on a hot, humid day of golf, I’ve actually disliked a hoppy beer I know I enjoy (thinking something like original Stone IPA). A Hefeweizen is an interesting borderline style for me.

I’d not think of forking over money for something like a bock or a barley wine, though I doubt most of us would (again, with the distinction of before/after the round goes to shit :wink:)

16. JBogan

JBogan Champion (852) Jul 15, 2007 California

Great article, very well written. Thanks for sharing that with us. Can't think of many nicer places to enjoy some good beer than on or around a beautiful golf course.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  17. Stoutmaster9

Stoutmaster9 Aspirant (282) Dec 30, 2016 California

I oft adore the morning silence deep, of a lush, foggy green golf course, and pretend the shrouded trees in the distance give way only to more trees ... like the first ninety seconds of the film Caddyshack! Lazy local Golf course Hobbit ... :sunglasses:

18. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,329) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Don’t play much anymore (beside driving range), but I sure do enjoy drinking beer and watching it :slight_smile:

GreenBayBA and Stoutmaster9 like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

One can have a few beers, get nice and relaxed and play well. Or one may get toasty, play crappy and still have fun. There is a fine chemical balance out there somewhere.

20. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (114) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

I generally walk by myself. There is no place to carry beer. I might have a quick one with a hot dog after 9.
    I will drink many beers when I am in a cart playing with friends. I can play from my worst to my best when drinking. Beer will make me try impossible shots like playing out of a water hazard just for fun and laughing about it.
    I was a member at a club that had Belgian 750s in the clubhouse bar room at about beer store prices. I drank those for two years until they figured that out and doubled the price. That bar had great Oysters Rockefeller too. It was a wonderful 19th hole.

Harrison8 and GreenBayBA like this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (665) Mar 28, 2009 California

Haven’t played a round of golf for about a year now. Don’t have the time or money. Free time usually goes to surfing or mountain biking.

here’s my golf game these days. Some SN dankful ipa and some golf pong.

[​IMG]

22. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (954) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

23. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (566) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I would not say a bogey golfer is a hacker. I wish I could play bogey golf (which is a 90 to non-golfers).

24. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,173) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I think you might be my West Coast doppelgänger. I used to play golf ALOT in my 20’s....gave it up because of time and money, got into surfing and now mountain biking and play golf about 1x a year with my old man (and we are on Beer Advocate). We’re basically the same person!

rgordon, GetMeAnIPA and GreenBayBA like this.
  25. mrmattosgood

Trader

That’s fair. I’ll sprinkle in a double or two.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  26. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (566) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

and a 14.

GreenBayBA and mrmattosgood like this.
  27. mrmattosgood

Trader

Hahaha. I played a round with a friend I hadn’t seen in years last fall. I went 9/8 on the first two holes. My friend is really good, too, so he must’ve been thinking he made a mistake.

Finished with a 92. Best rebound of my life at Franconia in Springfield MA (started on hole 12 because of frost delay).

GreenBayBA likes this.
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,645) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Correlation is not causation. :wink:

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (665) Mar 28, 2009 California

HA, Awesome! That’s me exactly. When I was in my 20s I played weekly as when I was in College I would play the twilight rounds. Been surfing my whole life but also just started riding a mountain bike @4 years or so ago. Cheers!

bubseymour likes this.
  30. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My Dad was a great amateur golfer who patiently taught me golf for many years. I started playing regularly at 14 - walked 54 holes one day at 15. I grew up playing a Donald Ross course that now hosts The Wyndam Championship (Sedgefield CC). In my 30s and 40s I would occasionally shoot in the upper 60s. But that has changed. I rarely play these days mainly due to arthritis in my hands. I do miss hitting my favorite 2 iron draw. A solid long iron shot off the turf is like catching a nice fish. It's a fine electricity. It's a thrill. We had beer and golf marathons for many years.

HoppingMadMonk and mrmattosgood like this.
  31. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (848) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Like Camper Can Beethoven once said”I hate golf”

Enjoy

32. JBogan

JBogan Champion (852) Jul 15, 2007 California

It's funny how you can remember when you had a certain beer at a certain place in time.

One I'll never forget was a Rochefort 10 in Ghent while watching the raindrops splash down on the glistening cobblestone streets outside the window of the little pub I was in that rainy evening.

Another was as I stood over my second shot to the 8th green over the treacherous precipice of ocean at the 8th hole at Pebble Beach.

Hmmmmm, this club or one more? Better haver another chug of beer first... No, I can make it there with a 6 iron. Splash!. Should've taken a 5. Ok, I'll lay off a 5... Splash! Shouldn't have laid off that 5, gone full out instead... better have another chug... Oh well, I'm playing Pebble, who cares what my score is?

33. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (430) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

pfft. I wish I was a bogey golfer. The few years I was playing fairly regularly, I'd average about 95 for the round. If I went out now, (winter notwithstanding; I actually didn't play at all last year) I'd be lucky to shoot 105 - 110.
    Honestly, I don't drink during the round. The one time I did, I couldn't keep it in play for the life of me. Every bad habit I had slowly worked out of, came back with a vengeance. I stopped counting at double par every hole after the 4th or so, and hadn't hit the green yet. So I stick to water, gatorade etc during, but man, do I enjoy a couple afterwards.

PapaGoose03 and Flashy like this.
  34. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,148) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My favorite beer+golf ad as well as my favorite Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer (and Ale!) ad, ©1935:
    [​IMG]
    The only time I was ever (legally - but that's a different story re: misspent youth) on a golf course was about 20 years ago. I was "volunteering" - well, the company paid me to work for a non-profit org. - for a charity event. Sounded like fun, get to drive those golf carts around, etc. They had Michelob in cans on the beer cart! Damn, hadn't seen that in decades and likely never had one before those 2 (3? 4?) - it was a long day.

HoppingMadMonk and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,908) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I haven't golfed in three years now, but when I did with a group of former co-workers I'd sometimes have a beer with my hotdog at the turn. After the round they all wanted to go home, and I don't like drinking alone, so when I got home I'd soothe my tired and sore body with some liquid refreshment.

I've had physical issues that mostly stopped me from golfing, and they're all fixed now, so I hope to get the clubs out of the basement soon and restart my duffer career. My drinking career was never on hiatus. :grin:

arizcards and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  36. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (248) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I’m in a league that plays on Wednesdays. There’s me and two other guys in our group, and we each bring three craft brews to share during the round. That’s more of a “hack-around, have fun with my brother” afternoon. If I’m playing an 18 hole money game, I may have one at the turn, or usually wait until the 19th hole to drink.
    In the summers I work on the turf crew at another course, so I’m off by 1:30 or 2:00, and my brother is retired, so we usually show up early and have one before playing on Wednesdays. The course I play at has a good variety, including Rhinegeist Truth and GLBC Dortmunder on tap.
    The course I used to work at would allow us to drink in the clubhouse after work, and they had GLBC Dortmunder on tap, and a couple canned craft selections. The course I work at now has a good selection, so when I play there, I’m set. After work we are not allowed to drink in the clubhouse.

#36 Ronmarley1, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  37. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (248) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

PS, for those that mention cost, most courses will allow employees to play for free or a very discounted price. We have many retired guys that work as a starter or ranger one day a week and can play for about $8.00 for 18 holes. The course I work at in the summer is run by a public agency that has seven other courses, including two of the top rated public courses in Ohio.

38. Insomniac

Insomniac Aspirant (281) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)

I play very early and am usually off the course before the beer cart begins to make the rounds.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  39. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (573) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I don't drink and golf... The windmill always messes with me

40. defunksta

defunksta Savant (971) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I prefer golf with some cheap and cold light adjunct lagers. It keeps you cool, clean, and composed. Focus on the golf, and drink the beer. Craft beer is a separate delicacy and should be alternatively appreciated on it's own without the golf sport. When mixed with golf, it only muddles two different royalties.
    Don't mix the two. I'm either golfing or I'm appreciating craft beer. Not at the same time.

arizcards and PapaGoose03 like this.