Beer History Podcast

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mr3dPHD, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Mr3dPHD

Mr3dPHD Initiate (188) May 6, 2008 Florida

So I'm going to start recording my podcast later this month and I'm really curious what topics people would be the most interested in hearing about. Each episode will be short, roughly 30 minutes, and it will cover literally any topic related to beer history. The show will be fun and won't take itself too seriously, but I really would like to educate people about each topic.

Here are some episodes we plan on recording during season one. Let me know if these sound cool, lame, etc, or of there's a particular topic you would like to know more about.

-The porter
    -Marketing/branding in the US
    -Asian beer
    -Prohibition
    -The IPA
    -Oktoberfest Celebration
    -Belgian beer
    -Anheuser Busch
    -Ancient beers
    -Pasteurization
    -Lagers
    -Sours
    -Archaic beer terminology
    -Craft beer in the US

Thanks for the help everyone!

2. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,536) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

Great idea ! Sounds really cool.
    Maybe also a topic on east-European (Grodziskie, Kvass,...) and North European beer styles (Kveik,...)...?
    Keep us updated !

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Please cover the story of Pliny the younger being cast out of the Pliny home for brewing the first milkshake IPA...I keed... I keed...

What's the name of the show?

4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,381) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The above combination could work, but could also be a conflict. What sources do you plan on using?

5. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (538) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

The Porter and IPA ones should be fun.

Jacobier10, tzieser, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  6. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (901) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

First impression thoughts:
    - My general impression is that many of the subjects seem too big/broad to cover in 30 minute fun conversation with facts/research. Consider breaking up some bigger topics like "Lagers" in particular into smaller subjects. (But, I've never done podcast before, so what do I know? I do listen to many though).
    - "the porter" episode should mention the porter vs. stout details/misconceptions/debates, which do involve history. (Search these forums for some epic old threads/debates on the subject if you need ideas for discussion points)
    - An episode on beer yeasts and yeast strains of specific beer styles maybe? Yeasts are an overlooked subject by many.
    - 30 minutes is a good length to aim for podcasts to get into some detail, without being so long that people lose attention or take long pauses.
    - But, 10-minute shorts diving into very specific subjects can be really fun too, and I think beer history has many interesting and obscure little topics that would work well for that format (For good examples of the quick 10-minute format check out this history podcast called The Memory Palace, or Planet Money's The Indicator).

TheDoctor, Mr3dPHD and HopBelT like this.
  7. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,577) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Episode on "The great debate: Porter vs. Stout (is there difference)?"

Then discuss some of the more popular or highly rated of each style from US craft and the world at large and see what nuances may be different.

FBarber, Mr3dPHD and HopBelT like this.
  8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,381) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Be considerate to your listeners: Get a good mic and pay attention to your levels.

It’s really annoying when the levels of the intro and outro are way higher than the talking.

TheDoctor, FBarber, cjgiant and 5 others like this.
  9. Mr3dPHD

Such great suggestions, thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

So first, I should have been more clear. The name of the podcast is "The Beer History Podcast", as the title of this thread suggests.

Second, I'm not sure what's up but nothing is functioning properly on this PC right now. I can't quote or edit my original post, but I swear I'm compiling a list of all these suggestions. I'll probably set up a poll at some point once I narrow things down.

So as for sources; as I do research for every episode, I keep track of every source I utilize. Some are books I own, some are articles or websites, some are interviews, etc. I'm going to try to keep everything as legitimate as possible, but I think I'm going to have a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode to cover my ass stating that the content of the episode is intended to spark further research and should not be considered canon. Something along those lines. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a post recording fact check which will be appended to the end of every episode which will give me the opportunity to correct any errors I may spit out during any given recording. Oh, and the sources will be posted online somewhere (to be determined) at a location I will point the listeners to.

Ranbot, I agree about topic sizes, and I do plan on splitting them up. Prohibition, for example, will likely be a multi-episode one, etc.

zid, I solemnly swear to make this thing sound as professional and balanced as possible. We have pretty decent equipment, separate channels for everyone, and good software for post production. Couple that with my self diagnosed OCD and I think they will turn out really well. Hopefully.

One other thing...I plan on airing these on all major platforms including YouTube (with video), and for marketing I'm going to use Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Anyone have suggestions for other social media platforms? I'll probably do a subreddit, which I've never done before, because I've gotten that suggestion more than once.

Thanks again guys, and I will definitely keep you all up to date!

10. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (215) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

A semi-modern history of the term "craft beer" and how the definition has changed over the years sounds pretty fun too, plus all the chances in the world to shit on Boston Beer Co :grin:

FBarber likes this.
  11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,292) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Beee nice Ron. Maybe he'll be using info gleaned from your web site or books? :slight_smile:

FBarber and Witherby like this.
  12. patto1ro

I'm always nice, nowadays.

13. Mr3dPHD

Oh man, I'm already getting anxiety from you two! Ha ha ha! If either of you has a good resource to point to...or like.....has legitimately written a freaking book on either subject, I'd really appreciate it!! A lot of my IPA material references this book, which I really enjoyed.

Hops and Glory by Pete Brown

FBarber likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,318) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My apologies here Ron but I just gotta say: "bollocks"!:wink:

Cheers!

15. steveh

I like that book, not sure how Ron feels about it*, but here's a good source for information with solid research: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/

Just so happens to be patto1ro's own BLOG.

*Here's a segment in his BLOG from 2007.

FBarber likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Perhaps everybody has a 'favorite' here but IMO the book that best covers the history of IPA is the book written by Mitch Steele: IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and Evolution of India Pale Ale.

In the Acknowledgements section a number of folks are listed including Martyn Cornell and our own esteemed Ron Pattinson (and a long list of others).

Mitch performed a metric shit ton of research for writing this book.

Cheers!

P.S. There seems to be lots of interest in the origins of the IPA beer style and contemporary IPAs but I would encourage you to become knowledgeable about the US history of brewing IPAs (e.g., American brewed IPAs of the 1800s).

eppCOS likes this.
  17. Mr3dPHD

Oh holy crap! You're Ron Pattinson?!? HA!! I'm not even kidding, after hearing your interview on Beersmith (2018) on post war British beer I put it on my future bucket list to win you over and eventually have you as a guest on my podcast, ha ha ha! I mean, I literally have your barclayperkins blog up on my phone as we speak.

I'm definitely going to check this out, thanks for the info! God, now I'm simply terrified to do an IPA episode.

18. Ranbot

Society

Careful now... Mitch Steele is around too, but he mostly keeps to himself. :wink:

FBarber likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

Ah, getting your adrenaline flowing is a good motivator to do some thorough research!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

FBarber likes this.
  20. steveh

Look out Ron @patto1ro, we've got a true fanboy on our hands! :grin:

Now, how do we let him know that your curmudgeonly persona is just an internet act? :wink:

Seriously Mr. 3D, I'm looking forward to your input and hope BA can be a good source of info for you.

FBarber, Ranbot and Mr3dPHD like this.
  21. islay

islay Disciple (318) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Just go the historiographical survey route on the controversial topics: "Historian A says this; historian B says that. Yours truly is agnostic." It's going to take way too much effort to draw convincing conclusions of your own, and even then there's a good chance you'll prove wrong. Can't win; don't try.

I'll give your podcast a chance when it comes out. Good luck!

Ranbot and Mr3dPHD like this.
  22. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,006) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I look through my journals now and am sometimes surprised by my writing. Sometimes it is awful and sometimes it's rather inspired and from a really good place. It was the youthful enthusiasm that was the catalyst. Finding the old mysterious spark is real and is natural and comes from practice as well.

Ranbot and Mr3dPHD like this.
  23. Mr3dPHD

I really appreciate it. I'll be on here quite a bit, I'm sure, ha ha.

That's a fantastic point! Thanks for the advice.

FBarber likes this.
  24. patto1ro

I'm always happy to bullshit away about beer history.

25. Hodgson

Hodgson Initiate (137) Nov 17, 2014 Ontario (Canada)

A few more for you. The history of,

Bock beer in America. The old bock season is soon upon us.

Of beer festivals.

Of consumer beer tasting events (apart from festivals).

Interviews with pre or early craft era beer writers who are still with us like Jim Anderson, Michael Weiner, Stephen Morris.

26. Ranbot

Society

FWIW, for a conversational podcast with a debatable topic, particularly less politically/emotionally charged topics, like beer (in spite of emotional displays around these forums :smirk:), I think it's usually OK for the host(s) to very briefly state their opinion and, if necessary, reasons. If you don't know the host's opinion, then you can't judge if they are presenting sides fairly or if/how their opinion could be influencing the presentation. People have opinions, and I don't believe they have the ability to be complete agnostic. We're not emotionless robots no matter how hard we may might try. Let's just be honest about that human flaw and move on. Now, hosts should keep their opinion as brief as possible though and focus on presenting the sides. If a host spends lots of time explaining why they are right that's self-centered ego stroking and I'm switching off.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  27. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (369) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I think the 1st season of the untappd podcast did this well but the 2nd season when they changed hosts didn't do it for me. Not sure if you ever listened to that one but they did tastings, little beer history when they tried certain styles like the origination rebirth of styles. Food for thought I'd love to listen to something like this. Would you be solo?

28. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'd love something about the history of the agricultural inputs to beer (probably different episodes covering different kinds/sources of malt, hop regions/varieties, water sources/treatments, use of malt adjuncts, etc...)
    I also think there could be some interesting and unmined fun in the history of different serving styles/traditional glass ware

rgordon likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

And during the discussion the host should clearly articulate what they are discussing is opinion as opposed to being fact.

Cheers!

30. Ranbot

Society

yes, of course...
    Was I unclear? I said "opinion" 5 times and I don't understand your clarification here.

31. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, I interpreted a statement like "very briefly state their opinion" as meaning that can state their opinion during the podcast discussion. My comment is that prior to stating their opinion they clearly and emphatically caveat that what they are about to say is opinion vs. fact.

For example they should state: "In my opinion I think blah, blah, blah..."

If they just state: "Blah, blah, blah..." without an explicit prior statement then their opinion could be interpreted as being a fact.

Cheers!

Ranbot likes this.
  32. Ranbot

Society

OK I see now. Agreed, of course.

33. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (752) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Jim Anderson, not heard that name in a long time. Whats he up to? Does he still have that hotel in Scotland? Met Jim at the old tavern on Green and he helped transform my beer tastes in the after hours. I remember drinking those round pitchers of “transcendental lager”, I think it was Yuengling lager. Jim served me my first SNPA and it was wonderful.

Enjoy

Hodgson likes this.
  34. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,534) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

I'd be interested in an interview with @jesskidden

meefmoff, Ranbot, islay and 1 other person like this.
  35. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (59) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Consider an episode or two about the history of beer in the USA, fascinating subject.

36. JackHorzempa

Society

Hodgson likes this.
  37. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (752) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Interesting. Guess I will not be stopping by. Always wanted to stay there for a few days. Wonder if Jim is staying there or moving on.

All the best to him. Jim is a true Beer Advocate.

Enjoy

JackHorzempa and Hodgson like this.
  38. Hodgson

Hodgson Initiate (137) Nov 17, 2014 Ontario (Canada)

Interesting update on Jim, thanks.

I should also mention, as the old hands here will remember, Will Anderson, I believe he lives in the U.S. Northwest now. He wrote some excellent early books on aspects of brewing in the Northeast, a good combination of popular history and photo-essay style.

His vantage point on where we are at today would be fascinating as well.

39. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,006) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I would love a distinct discussion about the basically nameless number of beers that exist in England. I could always find a great pint nearby.....

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  40. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,913) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader