Ireland Beer in Ireland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ClemsonMike, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Quick question. What's everyone take on the Porterhouse in Dublin? It's been a while since I was last there but for me it really was a step in the right direction. And their black stuff was pretty tasty.

Tut likes this.
  2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,308) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

I've had a few of their bottled wares and as fantastic as they were
    I want Brendan back in Manchester lol

3. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,721) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Beyond the Pale IPA under two quid per bottle when I last got some - me likey.

4. Graeme24

Graeme24 Initiate (194) Dec 16, 2008 Ireland

I think their stouts are really solid. All three of them actually. The IPA mentioned above is also decent. I don't think their bottled range stands up well though, with the exception of their Barrell Aged Celebration Stout. I thought that was a ballsy release. I believe they now have an 11% barleywine out which I'm looking forward to trying.

5. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (3,564) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

+1 on the stouts all being good; Wrassler's reminds me of Storm King, though there's a big dropoff in the bottle for some reason. Bottled BA Celebration stands next to any BA'd stout I've tasted.
    The lagers are forgettable; one of the staff told me they have to brew them, financially, because of their nightlife-centric pubs locations.
    And the hoppy ones are among some of the hoppiest beers in Ireland (not many to beat for that crown, but still) - the barleywine, Louder, is a monster.

Graeme24 likes this.
  6. Zimbo

Completely agree guys. The stouts are great and as I said earlier in the tread I love Wrassler's XXXX at the Porterhouse. In fact, its easily the best interpretation of dry Irish I have ever had. Awesome complexity, a caressing mouth feel and a richness like no other. Maybe I'm overstating the case a bit but I just can't understand why it isn't more universally loved. And I'm surprised that there haven't be more copycat pubs/brewery's like it in Ireland in the 17 years since its opened.

One more thing. What's your take on how recent hard economic times have affected the interest craft beer there? Has it stunted possible growth? Things here aren't the best either but crafty type beer continues to buck the trend with new places opening up all the time.

7. StJamesGate

Beer Trader

It has sparked growth, if anything.
    Back during the boom days, publicans could print money just by slinging Carlsberg, so they had no motivation to do anything new or different.
    Now, with people going out less and drinking at home, they're willing to try whatever gets bums on bar stools.
    Combine that will some buzz around craft beer and a move in general towards quality and provenance in food, and you're getting a real head of steam for Irish breweries.

8. StJamesGate

Beer Trader

FYI, Trouble Ormeau Dark is on cask at W J Kavanagh and 8 Degrees Amber Ella is on at Black Sheep. Both great beers.

9. Zimbo

That's honestly the first bit of good 'austerity' news I've heard.

10. Bieniek30

Bieniek30 Disciple (398) Mar 24, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

What is the typical selection of beer you will find in a off license. Last time I was in Ireland I didn't really go out of my way to find anything but when I return in the spring I plan on making it a point to find some good beer.

coolrwatt1 likes this.
  11. mdagnew

mdagnew Poo-Bah (3,385) May 18, 2005 United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

12. coolrwatt1

coolrwatt1 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

13. coolrwatt1

coolrwatt1 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

If you're in Belfast, The Hudson is the up and coming craft beer bar, the Crown is ok too, Probably other people from belfast with better info on that to be honest. Vinyard in belfast is the best off licence. selection still isn't great here in terms of off licences. Dublin i was in recently and spent a night in JW Sweetman which is a brewpub off O'Connell Street, i woke up beside an empty growler of pale ale with the mother of all hangovers.. good times! Some great off licences in dublin like the Drinkstore. Baggot street wines is good also, MDAGNEW has you covered with those links though.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone who knows of any good off licences outside of Belfast myself, i'm in the south derry/londonderry area

14. jspruit

jspruit Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2005 Denmark

If you're interested in the growing craft beer industry in Ireland, check out http://www.beoir.org/ = Beoir is an independent group of consumers with a primary goal of supporting and raising awareness of Ireland's native independent microbreweries.

Zimbo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.