Europe Beer in Poland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by t420o, Sep 18, 2013.

1. t420o

t420o Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

I will be going to Krakow and Wroclaw in December and was wondering if anyone has any good beer bar recommendations.

Also, what beers should I be on the lookout for? Does anyone have any suggestions on good Polish craft beers or beers available there, which are not available/common here in the States?

I know Poland isn't great for beer, so any help is much appreciated

2. tbeckett

tbeckett May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

mythaeus likes this.
  3. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

I visited Wrocław back in 2010 - it's a pretty little city. They've done a great job of restoring the centre to its historic appearance.

I didn't sample loads of beers while I was there but I went to one bar that was pretty good. It's called Academus (http://www.academus.pl/), situated next to the massive St. Elizabeth's church in the centre. They have a selection of Polish and foreign brews. The one local beer that I recall sampling was Kozlak - an amber bock-style beer that was quite nice. There might be more good pubs; google is probably your best bet.

Can't speak for Krakow as I haven't visited.

PS - watch out for the gnomes....

4. nloetz

nloetz Jun 2, 2005 Austria

Meh, I wouldn't say that. It's a bit nascent I suppose, but it has promise. They have an especially strong homebrewing culture. That being said, I have no suggestions for where to go as it's been a while since I've been to Poland on a beer tour and I'm sure everything has changed since then.

Look for Baltic porters and Grodziskie.

If your really curious about brewing in Poland, check out this page:
    http://en.festiwal-birofilia.pl/results-of-craft-beer-contest-birofilia-2013.html
    It's a festival that's like a mix of GABF and NHC. I might enter a few homebrews next year.

5. nloetz

nloetz Jun 2, 2005 Austria

This video is kind of a classic now.

alwaysmad likes this.
  6. darky

darky Apr 16, 2010 South Dakota

That video is fantastic.

7. reprob8

reprob8 May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

8. grze

grze Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Let us know how the trip go? I'm originally from Poland, coming to visit next year. There's a lot of going on right now in Poland. It's like 30 years ago here in the States.

9. mythaeus

mythaeus Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Many supermarkets or markets in big shopping areas (Auschan, Carre Four) carry a lot of local/micro brews. They are usually so cheap there, you can just buy a bunch and try them all out since they are all individually sold. I was in Bialystok (wife is from there) last year and I remember grabbing a ton of local/micros for next to nothing.

When I was in Krakow, I did pass by House of Beer (mentioned above by tbeckett), but didn't have time to stop by. It looks very promising and some local friends raved about that place.

In Warsaw, stop by Bierhalle. I really like their beers. They used to have a location in Bialystok as well, but closed due to building leasing issues.

10. grze

Beer Trader

Cool! How would you rate the beer quality overall? Compared to our market here?

BTW, regarding Warsaw, if anyone is heading that way there are few new places with a lot of local craft beers:
    Kufle i Kapsle, Cuda na Kiju, Piw Paw & Chmielarnia

11. mythaeus

Beer Trader

I haven't experienced a lot of "craft" beers outside of Poland (by the way, Poland gets a lot of Lithuanian "craft" as well). It's definitely not like here, not even close, but I think it's pretty robust for what it is. I wasn't very critical and didn't have high expectation. I remember saying, oh, this was good! to some, while bleh on others (especially those brewed with honey).

12. grze

Beer Trader

hahahha. I tried 1-2 honey ones when I was there last year. Yuck...the most disgusting beers I've ever had....One I didn't finish...and I have an extremely high tolerance for bad flavors :/

13. mythaeus

Beer Trader

Yeah, likewise! I couldn't finish it and was sharing bottles after bottles with my father-in-law. Good thing we had several other beers beside the honey AND I brought some "good stuff" from here over there for him to try as well.

I actually really like Zubr, by the way. Let me know which cities you'll be visiting, PM if better, if I have any info from friends over there, I'll pass them on to you.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe