Site Beer Karma numbers drop

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by SABERG, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SABERG

SABERG Meyvn (1,314) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I noticed a several hundred point drop in my Beer Karma totals since yesterday.
    Anyone else?
    Thanks to the staff for any insight.
    Cheers

Badfish likes this.
  2. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,146) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

For what it's worth, I checked and I had "lost" about 100 points as well. I will note that I did notice more recently I thought I was gaining points faster than in the "past."

When BK came back initially there were adjustments as they tweaked the system. Maybe a new tweak or bug fix? It's all fun, so not a big deal in grand scheme (especially since formula is intentionally secret), but natural curiosity and all...

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,074) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I didn't lose any, but both of you did and you're both over 1,000. Maybe likes, posts, or new beers now count for less over a certain karma level?

Badfish likes this.
  4. cjgiant

You may be right. I won't speculate as to the formula; and I actually don't care as most can probably guess what is valued. Let's just say that I guess it's entirely possible something users did yesterday was worth negative points, but that's probably doubtful.

That said. I am actually just purely curious for a general explanation of a presumed adjustment now that it's been raised. If none is given, I'll soldier on ;)

5. Todd

Todd Founder (5,424) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

No adjustments were made to the Beer Karma system, but we did rebuild the "Subscriber" user group yesterday. Numbers may have dropped, but then gone back up if you're still a print subscriber to BeerAdvocate magazine.

SABERG and cjgiant like this.
  6. lester619

lester619 Devotee (469) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Not a big deal? Not a big deal! Beer karma is my life. They are playing games with my life!:D

cjgiant likes this.
  7. cjgiant

In commenting on this post, did I belie the statements I actually made? People might think so, but who cares ;):p

lester619 likes this.
  8. lester619

lester619 Devotee (469) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Every point is like my child and I will do whatever is necessary to protect them. Nothing is more important than beer karma. Nothing. That's enough, I'll stop now.:)

tlema1 and cjgiant like this.
  9. JakerLou

JakerLou Champion (812) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My karma went from 802 to 699 since yesterday. I must have done some seriously shady stuff...

bbtkd and lester619 like this.
  10. Todd

Staff Subscriber

Or we rebuilt the Subscriber user group and your Beer Karma has yet to be updated. But who knows? Such is the way of Beer Karma.

11. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (699) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

What is "beer karma" and why does it matter?

12. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

First rule of beer karma is don't talk about beer karma ;)

13. readyski

readyski Aspirant (227) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

The second rule of Beer Karma is that everyone has beer karma

14. JakerLou

JakerLou Champion (812) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Well Looky there. You were spot on. Karma's back to 803. I got an extra point for whining ;-).

#14 JakerLou, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    jvgoor3786 and cjgiant like this.
  15. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,005) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A buddy of mine bought me a Zima after work on Friday. By this morning I was down a 100 points. Correlation?

Fuck that: causation.

Tdizzle, VABA, frozyn and 8 others like this.
  16. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (517) Dec 19, 2006 California

Anytime I lash out at someone or act like an asshole on here, my Beer Karma goes down. What gives??

17. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

They can award you penalty points, but suspect they would tell you how many and why.

Tdizzle likes this.
  18. SABERG

SABERG Meyvn (1,314) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the work on NBS
    Cheers

bbtkd and cjgiant like this.
  19. Todd

Staff Subscriber

So there you go.

lester619 and SABERG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.