beer line question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by cracker, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cracker

cracker Disciple (300) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

This is a pretty dumb question but here it goes. I have a kegerator with three taps. So far I've always had all three going at the same time. Now that my hombrew inventory is getting low soon I will have a tap that will be free unless I get a commercial keg (which I may do anyways). But if I don't hook something up to it what should I do with the beer line? Leave water in it after cleaning it? Or star-san? Will it dry up and crack if no liquid is in it? TIA.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,416) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Not in my experience. I let lines dry all the time (after cleaning).

3. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (292) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

I keep a keg filled with One-Step cleaner/sanitizer. When a keg kicks, assuming I'm going to be tapping another in a day or two, I connect that keg, flush the line for a few seconds, then disconnect it. The solution, held under a bit of pressure by the keg connector, stays in the line until I tap the next keg, at which point, I flush the line with the new beer and I'm back in business quickly. If it's going to be untapped for an extended period, I do a more thorough cleaning with BLC. I would never leave a line untapped without first cleaning and sanitizing it, no matter how short the duration (it's easier to prevent the bugs now than it is to kill them later).

I don't think you'll damage the line by leaving it dry. The inside is made from the same vinyl as the outside.

4. cracker

cracker Disciple (300) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

I guess if faced with the situation I will clean as always, flush with water, and then star-san and leave dry until next keg is ready. I'll probably re-flush with some star san though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.