Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer Marshmallows!

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by FondueVoodoo, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Feb 12, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I made these are part of my included swag in a recent Canadian BIF and they generated a lot of fanfare. I've decided to post my recipe for all to enjoy here.

For those not interested in making their own, I'm always open to beer for marshmallow trades :)

2. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

That is seriously one of the cooler ideas I've seen in a long time. Looks pretty involved, but I might have to give this a go. Thanks for the heads up!

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

I usually hate marshmallows but these sound awesome.

dianimal and FondueVoodoo like this.
  4. mecummins

mecummins Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

Beer S'mores. Mmmm. Thanks for the recipe!

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  5. gigaknight

gigaknight Aug 12, 2010 Illinois

Holy smokes. I'm not sure my baking chops are adequate for this!

6. bpgpitt10

I made these last night with Bourbon County Stout. Holy shit they are delicious. I was worried they would be too difficult, but it was a fairly easy process frankly. The fact that you don't cook 4 oz of the beer at all really lets the entire character of the beer shine through in the marshmallow. Fluffy, stout-ey, bourbony deliciousness!

[​IMG]

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  7. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it and that it turned out well. Picture looks great and amazing choice on the beer.

I agree that it ends up being fairly easy once you get going, just looks intimidating at the outset.

Thanks for posting and commenting on my blog - need to get some more beer related material up there soon.

8. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

Seems intimidating at first, but it is really fairly easy to make. You won't go back to store bought once you have them - promise.

9. Henamonster

Henamonster Feb 2, 2007 California

These look awesome. I've saved the recipe and will be making some up soon! Thanks!

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  10. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

Let me know how they turn out

11. bpgpitt10

One thing I was thinking about doing the next time is infusing the beer (via french press) to bring in even more flavor. Coconut is what keeps jumping to my mind. Just an idea!

The key thing I'd say is to not use a crappy beer. The Bourbon County came through big time because it wasn't cooked. I imagine using a beer that's too hot or just has off flavors would come through equally as much.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  12. fistfight

fistfight Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Having glanced through your blog (and bookmarking a few of the entries), it seems you are big on stouts. Do you think this recipe would work with a Belgian Quad like St. Bernadus 12? Unless you think stout is the only way to go, I may just have to try it. Awesome recipe idea.

13. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

While we are big on stouts, our preferences tend to fall on the Belgian styles and IPA/DIPAs. Stouts just tend to work great with the food we recipes we have used so far.

I would definitely try a quad or a dubble - anything that has a big presence which will shine through. This year we are thinking of trying some pumpkin varieties for a fall BIF we are participating in.

Let me know what you try and how it turns out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe