Beer mile beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GRPunk, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

I'm planning on doing a beer mile next weekend. Anybody have experience with a beer recommendation? Must be at least 5.0 ABV and 12 oz. I'll be drinking one every quarter mile.

2. AngryDutchman

AngryDutchman Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

jimboothdesigns and GRPunk like this.
  3. scxcrunner

scxcrunner Zealot (559) Aug 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Drink what the pros drink...unfortunately thats Bud Light Platinum

rgordon, GRPunk and Danny124 like this.
  4. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I not really familiar with this type of event but I am now intruiged. My mind immediately went to SN Nooner.

hopsputin and GRPunk like this.
  5. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (831) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Do yourself a favor and just pound 4 KBS. If you survive the mile, you are my new hero!

6. JimmyTheDook

JimmyTheDook Initiate (23) Oct 27, 2011 Texas

Descutes Black Butte Porter is only 5.2%, Sixpoint's The Crisp, or the high octane route. I like the KBS suggestion.

warrendietrich2001, GRPunk and dcotom like this.
  7. Danny124

Danny124 Initiate (75) Mar 21, 2009 Texas

Alcohol won't catch up to you in the 5 to 15 minutes it'll take to do this thing, it's the carbonation that'll get you. Drink something neutral (not hoppy, not roasty) and low on fizz. Porters can be smooth but those dark malts hurt after a couple, and craft pilsners lean towards too hoppy for something like a beer mile. As an old cross country/track guy who trained and drank hard I'll say that blonde ales or pale Oktoberfests worked best for me.

8. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Assuming you are trying for the best time you can drink what you actually like drinking that comes from a can.

GRPunk likes this.
  9. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

This.

If you can use bottles you may want to even release the carbonation a bit. That would be to slowly put pressure on your opener until you hear a hiss. Let out the pressure then allow the bottle to reseal. Do this a couple times with a beer and it will be undercarbed but not completely flat as to make them disgusting.

GRPunk likes this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,810) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I had no idea what this was but now i want to do it myself.

tylerstravis and GRPunk like this.
  11. Cannabanoid

Cannabanoid Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2015 Massachusetts

I have also never heard of this before. I can assure you I will be trying this. As for the beer I am going to chose for this event..... I will get back to you. Cheers.

GRPunk likes this.
  12. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,577) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Shorter variation of Hash House Harriers - look 'em up - did some of this in Austin (TX) in the 90s - crazy stuff. We would run 4-8 miles, with a beer every mile. Of course... I was in my 20s. :wink:

GRPunk likes this.
  13. SLewis

SLewis Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Budweiser sits right at 5% and is relatively unoffensive

GRPunk and frozen-1984 like this.
  14. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

In college a very very long time ago we used to do a bialchathon. You would run a mile, drink a beer, run a mile drink a beer, etc. and the first person to finish a six pack would win. At the time I think we used Old Milwaukee. In the 21st century any light session beer would probably work nicely.

GRPunk and frozen-1984 like this.
  15. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Disciple (397) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

I don't understand the appeal of this.

albertq17, TEKNISHE, jcos and 7 others like this.
  16. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Perhaps you can add a dozen glazed Krispy Kremes?

PatrickCT likes this.
  17. Tooth_Jackson

Tooth_Jackson Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Pennsylvania

Coors banquet

GRPunk likes this.
  18. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Bourbon County Stout all the way

19. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

I can't speak for others, but I'll be doing it to raise money for cancer research.

tylerstravis likes this.
  20. Lukass

Lukass Savant (999) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Last beer mile I ran was in college - I managed to choke down 4 warm 'Beer 30 Ices' that had been in the trunk of my buddies car. So, I can tell you what NOT to drink during a beer mile :slight_smile: I would stick with a beer that's not too carbonated and one that's not too cold. Goes down much easier.

21. drew7777

drew7777 Initiate (110) May 10, 2009 Virginia

I understand the beer part... but they lost me at running.

papposilenus, R3ason, Lucular and 2 others like this.
  22. PatrickBeebe

PatrickBeebe Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Florida

Last time I did that was almost ten years ago and we used Keystone. Not sure what I would use today. Maybe CCB Maduro or OB Dales Pale.

23. bluehende

I agree with you. My exposure to beer miles was in college and there are a lot of stupid things I did then that seemed like fun then that I look back at and just shake my head. 90% of those included alcohol of course.

24. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

These new iron man events are way more humane! My choice would be Spaten Lager.

25. borto1ms

borto1ms Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2013 Michigan

Use the link below to check out this video where Lewis Kent set the world record for the beer mile. Just nuts.

ESPN had an article about him setting the record and going on to the beer mile world championships. I don't know what would be more painful, the run or having to down Bud Light Platinum. Would really need to do some research on the right beer before trying something like this. Good luck to anyone that tries this.

tylerstravis likes this.
  26. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Per the official rules that would be cheating.

Cheers

bluehende likes this.
  27. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Had no idea this was an actual thing. Like that hotel commercial where they feature the world champion marathon juggler..... Guess I need to watch "The Ocho" more often.

If I were to run this event (I don't run, so this is purely an exercise in theorization) I'd look towards Grunion.

schteve likes this.
  28. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

I'll file this one away as a spectator sport. I can't let running get in the way of my drinking. Maybe I can work out a "tag team" with a tea totaller. They run, and I drink. I'd be in for that. Hell, I'd probably be pretty competitive!

Best of luck to anyone who is really doing it. I hope you have a good time!

29. bluehende

There are rules for this :grimacing:

papposilenus and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  30. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

31. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2015 Illinois

I keep thinking this is what everyone is talking about.

tylerstravis and shnsajax like this.
  32. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (350) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Or just drink Abrasive :slight_smile: Someone had to make the joke.

bluehende likes this.
  33. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,982) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

The tradition at my daughter's University was called ring dunk, and you have to drop your ring in a pitcher of beer/cider and chug the whole thing to get your ring out. She spent 4 months drinking various beers/ciders to find the one she could stomach (wasn't a beer drinker back then). She ended up choosing WoodChuck and filled up the pitcher early that morning and would go jig it every hour to get the carbonation out of it.

34. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,982) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I need those tablets

35. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Now that I think of it the PERFECT beer for this is Not Your Fathers Root Beer. You can chug it just like regular root beer.

36. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina

Hitachino Nest White would be my beer of choice. 5.5% with a small citrus bite, I could put A LOT of these down.

37. V1per41

V1per41 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2014 Colorado

I've done one beer mile and went with Avery's White Rascal. (A Witbier). Bad choice. I imagine that I probably could have completed it in half the time if I chose the right beer.

If/when I ever do another one, it will be with Bud Light Platinum. Over 5%, goes down and tastes like water. No point in getting something tasty for an event like this, you're just chugging it anyway.

KSOZE likes this.
  38. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (552) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I'm focusing more on doing a beerathon: Drinking a 6-pack over the course of a marathon. Drink one at the gun and one at each 5 mile marker. Not sure it's ever been done, but something to aim for.

39. jcos

jcos Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

40. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,871) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

My cousin attempted to do his with Rochefort 10. Sadly, he's no longer with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.