Beer Nostalgia with a Parent

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ATL6245, Nov 20, 2020.

1. ATL6245

ATL6245 Disciple (324) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

My father turned 80 recently. Still going strong, thank God. I have a special connection with him and beer. I went to work with him out of college in the family business. We traveled together around the country a good bit. The first craft beer I ever had was on a trip to San Leandro, CA where we had a Anchor Steam beer together. We were both blown away at how good it was compared to the big beer brands available in Atlanta (this was the early '90's). So now, everytime I see Anchor Steam I have a special nostalgia for it. His favor beers are dark German (Dunkel & Schwarzbier). Now, whenever a local brewery has a dark lager available, I can't wait to take some over to him to try. Do any of you have a special beer you've shared with a parent that brings back great memories?

2. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,304) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I hope I’m still drinking beer at 80. My parents are in their 60’s. Congratulations to your dad for doing well in old age. Hope he continues to stay strong till the end of the road.
    My dad never drank so n/a but nice thread.

3. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (841) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I remember my dad always buying those giant Fosters oil cans back when they were seemed cans. I have had one on Father’s Day a few times but I really do not like them. Most of the time he drank gin and tonic. I got into that this summer. My dad passed 8 years ago. Stay in touch with yours and remember how great they are. I miss my dad every day.

Enjoy

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,783) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Two exbeeriences with my father in law I wont forget. The first was fishing in la jara cañon one summer and having bud limes and sardines. It was the area and the company that made them special. A year later I booked out a pheasant hunt for us, and when we got to the lodge we stayed up most of the night drinking fat tire and BSing with the guy who owned the place. The next day we each came home with our limits and had a great time. Five months later we lost him unexpectedly. I will probably never have another fat tire again, I remember those beers being divine that evening, I don't want to sully those memories.

5. AZBeerMan

AZBeerMan Initiate (86) Aug 31, 2011 Arizona

Well, since the beers that my dad has preferred in my lifetime, in chronological order are: Schlitz; Stroh's; Coors Light; and now Keystone Light, suffice it to say that I don't share his taste in brew. What's funny is that we go on an annual golf trip to Pinehurst every year and we always stop by Southern Pines Brewing Company. While there, my dad and my uncle (also a Keystone Light devotee), will drink craft beer and enjoy it. I try to convince them to stick with craft when they return home, but it's hopeless! However, our time at SPBC is priceless, both for the phenomenal beer and the company.

bluejacket74, eppCOS, Junior and 9 others like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,416) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

My Dad was my introduction to beer thanks to the Sunday dinners.
    Schlitz, Miller, Bud, Narragansett, Piels, Knickerbocker, and my favourite, Ballantine XXX.

He had to give up beer in later life and settled for Odouls Amber. I drank a few with him before he passed away in 2000.

bluejacket74, eppCOS, DoIa and 4 others like this.
  7. Insomniac

Insomniac Aspirant (219) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)

My mother, who passed away in March, was always up for sampling what I had on the go when I was visiting or when she was at our place. Quite cool to see a woman in her 70's willing to try anything and everything from Pilsners to Quads.

bluejacket74, eppCOS, DoIa and 9 others like this.
  8. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (52) Apr 16, 2018 Canada (ON)

Non craft, but I have great memories of my grandpa and I wrapping cans of Molson Golden in newspaper (insulation I guess) and tucking them into my golf bag when we were headed out for a round. I was well underage but I thought I was pretty damned cool.

bluejacket74, eppCOS, DoIa and 5 others like this.
  9. nick_perry

nick_perry Devotee (466) Mar 11, 2017 North Carolina

Great thread! My dad and I have an interesting bond over beer. He gave up drinking before I turned 21. But when I was a kid I frequently saw him with a beer, so who knows, maybe that got me interested, or at least increased its visibility, at an early age. (It was probably nothing I'd drink now, though). Since becoming interested in craft beer, I remember a couple times when I've gone out to California to visit him, he'd take me to a brewery or a restaurant with a good craft beer selection. He doesn't mind being around others drinking..."I don't miss it," he says...but he knows it's important to me, and it's good time spent together. He always says something like, "I wish I had this many beer choices when I was drinking." We went to a bottle shop in Redondo Beach I found online and wanted to check out, and he remarked, "it's more like a wine tasting than a bar." It's a great perspective on my interest/hobby.

My mom visited me in NC and one time we went to Fullsteam in Durham. We both enjoyed Cack-a-Lacky pale ale with ginger, the 1st beer we both liked, since she tends to stick to lighter lagers, but it was just light enough for her, and just flavorful enough for me.

One time my father-in-law visited, and he and I went to Lonerider in Raleigh. We each had a few Hoppy-Ki-Yay IPAs, and when the food truck didn't show up, we had a pizza delivered from down the street.

bluejacket74, Junior, ATL6245 and 7 others like this.
  10. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (3,078) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Alas, my son still prefers Coors Lite and (shudder) Natural Lite. But... He enjoys some Belgian blondes. There is hope!

bluejacket74, DoIa, ATL6245 and 5 others like this.
  11. guzzleacoldone

guzzleacoldone Disciple (380) Feb 3, 2007 Ohio

I live in a different state from my dad these days so I only get to see him a couple times a year.

One of the memories I will always have is playing golf with him on Sunday afternoons. The guys we played with were members at a volunteer fire house that had a social club in the back. After the round they'd sign us in and we'd have pizzas and pitchers of miller high life. Good times. I miss those days.

12. cu29

cu29 Initiate (141) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

My pops passed long ago. But back in the day he was friends with a neighbor who worked at Schlitz Brewery in Milwaukee. So there was always lots of free Schlitz in our basement fridge. On occasion the neighbor fella would come over, and they'd hang out in the kitchen drinking Schlitz and laughing their asses off. It was fun to hear as a kid. And it was my great honor to run downstairs to grab them a couple more cold Schlitz when needed. And one time I was actually allowed to take a sip from my pop's bottle of Schlitz. I didn't much care for it at the time, but once in a while I come across a beer that reminds me of that beer. Nice memories!

13. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,117) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Neither my dad nor father in law drink. So I don’t really have any beer memories per say. But about 2 months ago, my dad and I played 9 holes of golf together and I brought a can of Heady Topper along that I brought back from Vermont. I told him how a few years back this beer was ranked #1 in the World and poured him a solo cup with about 3-4 oz and he really liked it despite never drinking beer much at all in his life.

14. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Initiate (17) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

Never been particularly close to my old man but I had a health emergency this year and I realise time is short (always thought it would be from the other angle, though!). During my illness we planned to do Oktoberfest if I pulled through, but while I kept up my end of the bargain other things obviously got in the way! He's 73 now and I hope we can do it in the next couple of years before it's too late, for either of us.

I do have fond memories as a kid in the 80s of pouring him what at the time was the only thing available in Australia: one of any number of identical, crappy, mass-produced "lagers". The small mouthful I was occasionally allowed made it clear to me that beer was bloody awful, but his ability to have a beer to enjoy and not abuse is what guided my alcohol consumption as I grew into an adult.

It's funny how memories become more precious once you're introduced to your mortality...

Cheers

bluejacket74, eppCOS, DoIa and 4 others like this.
  15. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,960) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

yeah posted it several times over the years. My first beer I tried (around 9 or 10) was at my grandmothers, she would drink the 8oz stubby cans of colt 45 malt liquor over ice in a highball glass. When I was a kid I thought that was some fine ass beer.

bluejacket74, eppCOS, DoIa and 8 others like this.
  16. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,970) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Schlitz & Old Milwaukee

My dad passed a few years ago, and our beer drinking days didn't cross paths. But growing up I saw him drink Schlitz more than anything else. Old Milwaukee came second. I'm not sure what he'd think of all the beers I've tried the last few years, but I know I can't drink an AAL without thinking of him.

17. Brook82

Brook82 Initiate (147) Oct 21, 2018 Ohio

My father wasn't a big drinker, but did usually have a 6 pk in the basement fridge; Michelob, Coor's, and later Weidemann. When I was living at home finishing school, he'd help himself to one of my Stroh's and ask later. Considering the many beers I pilfered from him, I never minded!

18. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,117) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

My Grandfather was a PBR guy. He passed away in 1987, served in WWII on a Navy sub in the South Pacific, buried at Arlington had the whole 12 gun salute and everything. I was 15 at the time but I felt so proud. Whenever I would visit my grandparents as a child (like 1-2 times a week) my image of him was he was always sitting at the kitchen table drinking his PBR from a glass and just sat there contemplating or writing out bills and worrying (was one or the other). He definitely had PTSD and severe anxiety issues now that I look back as an adult. He was a good man, always took my brother and myself around on his moped to run errands around town, and went camping a few times and such. He eventually switched to Red White and Blue to save money. PBR prices (he said) started creeping higher in the early 80’s and he couldn’t afford it anymore. When my mom wasn’t around or not looking, he’d pour some tiny Dixie cups of beer for my brother and I to drink (and our cousins who were all within same age 2-7) . I hated it, my brother loved it. Can’t remember what my cousins thought.

#18 bubseymour, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    bluejacket74, Benish, eppCOS and 7 others like this.
  19. Patrick_OKC

Patrick_OKC Aspirant (213) Apr 26, 2017 Texas
    Society

Wow. I could click on Like for every post in this thread.

My dad had one beer with dinner every day during the summer months. Ballantine Ale. He always offered us the last sip, but since I had 8 siblings, we took turns.

He led a good life and died at 87, in 1998. A few months before he died, we had a brew on the balcony of his assisted living apartment. I thought that was really a handing of the baton, and the father/son bond was fortified.

Enjoy the time with parents. As I tell my kids!!!!

bluejacket74, Benish, eppCOS and 8 others like this.
  20. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,929) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

My dad also just turned 80 this summer, and is also thankfully in good health. I remember clearly from my childhood watching football games with him on Sundays, pretty much the only day he wasn’t at work. He’d drink Michelob from a pilsner glass on a TV tray, and I was fascinated by the tiny bubbles that materialized from nowhere out of the bottom of the glass. He’d let me have a sip now and then but mostly I just remember the ritual. It was somehow reassuring. And I’m sure it was then that I started forming positive associations in my mind with beer that I carry with me today, some 40 years later.

bluejacket74, Benish, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  21. eagles22

eagles22 Disciple (382) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I introduced my dad to duvel 10 years ago and he absolutely loved it and I was thrilled because he was a coors light drinker so that beer will always be apart of us ..he passed away last year..I will be buying a 4pak for Thanksgiving in his honor

bluejacket74, Benish, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  22. eagles22

eagles22 Disciple (382) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Funny thing is I'm drinking a hopsmack by toppling Goliath and my 4 year old takes a smell of.it and says dad is this orange juice? Lol I gave him a sip and he likes it lol I can't wait to remind him of all the great beer he actually tried when he's older

bluejacket74, eppCOS, ATL6245 and 2 others like this.
  23. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,584) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Back in the day 16 Oz Carling Black Label returnable bottles.

bluejacket74, ATL6245 and lastmango like this.
  24. ATL6245

Old habits die hard I guess.

25. ATL6245

It's all about spending time together, regardless.

26. ATL6245

Keep working on him. He'll come around!

27. ATL6245

Great memory!

28. ATL6245

That's a great memory to carry with you.

Patrick_OKC likes this.
  29. ATL6245

There have been some great responses to this thread. To those whose fathers have passed, I'm trying to enjoy my time with mine while he's still around. Just like most beer drinkers his age, he used to drink some really bad Big Beer lagers. I even remember he having some Kroger Cost Cutter beers around! I was able to bring him along with some better beers.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  30. ATL6245

Thanks, I am very blessed indeed.

31. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (406) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Wow. Your dad lived a charmed beer life. I was lucky enough to find a single surviving six pack of king size Ballantine Ale cans from Newark in about 1970. Fantastic brew. By my calculation your dad would have had access to that great beer from Repeal to about 1969, when Ballantine closed. That's over 35 years of good beer. What did he drink after 1970? (I regularly drank Falstaff's Ballantine Ale in the early 70s, but it didn't compare.)

bluejacket74, rgordon and ATL6245 like this.
  32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,107) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

P. Ballantine & Sons closed in March, 1972 as noted by the UPI headline below (thought the post-Repeal owners, led by the Baudenhausen brothers, did sell out to a NY investment firm in '69).
    [​IMG]

Tho' the above does get a couple of things wrong just in that small 'snip' - while the brewing company was 132 years old, the brewery itself dated from 1856-57, built by the Schalk Brothers, early US lager beer brewers. Ballantine, then exclusively an ale brewer, bought it in the 1879. Ballantine would close the ale brewery at their original location on the Passaic River in the mid-1910s. And, of course, the Falstaff (Narragansett) brewery in Rhode Island was not in Providence, but in nearby Cranston.

33. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, some of my favorite family photos feature beer. Mom, pregnant with me, in front of an Albany-area bar with the same name as my father, "Genesee Beer and Ale" and "Fitzgerald" neons in the window. Dad and my grandmother in some park in north Jersey, a can Krueger Beer in her hand. Me (approx. 3) and Mom on some beach, her drinking a can of Schaefer. In the 50s, Schaefer Beer was their chosen brand - makes sense since coming from upstate NY (Schaefer had a brewery in Albany, formerly Beverwyck) to the metro NY/NJ area. OTOH there is a pre-school birthday party pic of me with cans of Rheingold in the kitchen.

And countless pics of my ol' man and a nearby bottle Ballantine XXX Ale - his long time favorite from the '60s to the 00s. He once told me he had his first one the same night he saw Hitchcock's Psycho.:astonished: Previously, he'd been somewhat prejudiced against the brewery since, after moving to NJ in early '50s, it was one of many local Newark-area companies in which he couldn't gain employment after practically "begging" them. He used to mention that after Ballantine closed and some now-pensionless older guys (i.e., his age) from the brewery worked at our plant.

When he and I worked together on the night shift (5:30 pm - 4 am :grimacing:) in the 70s, he'd always have a case of Ballantine returnables (bought at a rare NJ retailer with a PA-style drive-thru for case sales) in his hatchback next to the cooler full of ice. Even after we stopped commuting together I'd always have a key to get in and sit and have an ale (or two...) during breaks and at dinner time.

The best beer I even had? One scorching summer, when heat on the line was often over 100° - even at night. I was new on a back-breaking (literally - the previous two workers were out on medical with back problems) job, made even hotter by its location near some ovens. Sweat bands lasted at most an hour. I see the old man comin' with a paper cup (can't remember now if it was the soda machines, the coffee machines or both that sold their product in paper cups) with a paper towel over it. "That's strange...what's he got there?" I thought. He left it on my work bench.

I took a sip = lukewarm-ish Ballantine XXX Ale. :grin: (< there's no Emoji for "absolute bliss", is there?)

#33 jesskidden, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    bluejacket74, eppCOS, zid and 7 others like this.
  34. jockstrappy

jockstrappy Disciple (346) Feb 18, 2006 Pennsylvania

Bell’s Amber Ale.

My Dad and I turned 58 and 40 this year. He drank either Bud light, Labatt Blue light, or Molson Golden for as long as I could remember. After college, I took a job in the DC area where I was exposed to craft beer. I would take some different stuff home every time I went to visit. After several “how can you drink that” and “wtf is that” conversations, he tried the Amber Ale and really enjoyed it. The next time I came home for a visit, I went to put my weekend offerings away and found a partially drank 12-pack of it in his fridge. That beer triggered something with him, because his taste and enthusiasm for craft beer has expanded since. Around 8 years ago, he even got into home brewing. The home brewers club he belongs to meets every Friday, and those guys make some great stuff!

I moved away in 2003, and my Dad is my still my best buddy. Every time I’ve been home to visit, we always wind up in his garage sharing beer, catching up, hanging out with friends, talking about brew recipes, strategizing for the upcoming deer season...this list goes on. We’ve even brewed a batch of porter or two.

Those long nights in the garage are what I enjoy the most and really look forward to, and I’m sure he’d tell you the same. Those nights are when I hug more people than usual, and when I laugh the hardest. I no longer have to take brews with me when I head home to visit. Just like when I was growing up, Dad’s got my back.

bluejacket74, DoIa, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  35. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (200) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

My dad wasn’t a huge beer drinker. He’d typically pick up a case of whatever was on sale (Hamm’s, Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Stroh’s) and it’d last a couple months. Every now and then he’d get a sixer of Boston Lager or some import. And we always had a few different options in the cooler during BBQs and get togethers. That said, I’ve had numerous experiences with him:

- Small sips of beer as a kid. Let me have my first can after Jr High so I’d know how it affected me in a safer environment than a HS party.
    - Witnessed the first time I was drunk. Hockey tournament in HS, roomed with a senior, bathtub full of Busch, 1am ruckus, he was the asst coach who came to investigate.
    - Sharing Pete’s Wicked, Guinness, Sam Adams, and the like when my folks visited me in college.
    - Going to numerous brewpubs and taprooms over the years. He always enjoys it but it’s just not something he’d do on his own.
    - GI stout fest for a few years, went on a tour at the Fulton St brewery, and we share a bottle of BCBS or Prop every year.

My folks are getting up there in age and they’ve been pretty diligent about isolating, so this year has been tough. I’ve set some stuff aside for when we can safely get together again, just hoping that it actually happens.

bluejacket74, eppCOS, ATL6245 and 2 others like this.
  36. moodenba

Thanks for the correction. Even more time for the dad to enjoy Ballantine Ale. We probably found the six pack of Newark Ballantine in '73. We lived in San Diego, where we had never seen the Newark original. We found the ale in a liquor store on a foray into the Los Angeles area, I think to attend a Bill Monroe appearance at the Palomino in Feb. 73. https://www.facebook.com/2752972392...headliner-bill-monroe-febru/1535569743186299/

bluejacket74 likes this.
  37. jesskidden

Society Trader

Hey, coincidentally, the same city where I was served my last Newark-brewed Ballantine XXX Ale!

Three years after yours.:grimacing:

Still have the proof, too.
    [​IMG]

38. ATL6245

I hope this ends soon so you can enjoy some time with your folks. I think that is one positive that can come out of a year like this one, a renewed sense of the importance of spending time with our families. Cheers!

bluejacket74 and CB_Michigan like this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,584) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

My first legal beer with my dad was Schmidt’s on tap with a California Burger.

bluejacket74, eppCOS and ATL6245 like this.
  40. moodenba

I still have green tavern-tall Ballantine returnable quart bottles that I used for homebrew in the late 70s. A few still have the Falstaff Cranston labels. I also have my Grandfather's prohibition-era cast iron crown capper that he used for fruit wines during prohibition.

b9d9 and bluejacket74 like this.