Beer Review Length Limit Changed?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by SierraNevallagash, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Defender (612) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

So beer reviews have always (for as long as I've been around here) been 5000 characters for less. Since midnight, it will not let me write anything past 1813 characters. This number seemed to arbitrary. I had to rewrite my review three times, and it's still cutting off at 1813. Refreshed the page, exited and came back, tried copy and pasting, tried other beer pages, but it keeps limiting me to 1813 characters. Is this just a glitch? Has something changed? My reviews are generally very thorough, and on average, are between 2000 and 4000 characters. I'm hoping this is just a fluke. I see nothing in BA Talk forums, and no mention anywhere else. Insight? Anything is much appreciated. Cheers.

2. SierraNevallagash

Trader

Edit: So* arbitrary

3. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (3,357) Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Society Trader

Did you use a greater than or less than sign in your review? I seem to recall a couple times in the past where I've done that, but the submission field treats it as if you're trying to use HTML. Since it's disabled, the review will still submit IIRC, but all text after the 'tag' is erased.

4. SierraNevallagash

Trader

I actually did, when talking about the ABV! I will look into this real quick. It sounds like you're on to something here.

5. SierraNevallagash

Trader

You sir, are the man. That is precisely what happened. All text after the ">" was cut off. Simply removing that "less than" symbol and rewording allowed for the remainder of the review to post. I'm not sure I would have thought of that, and therefore I owe you a big thanks. No greater than or less than symbols in reviews. Got it. Thanks!

6. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (3,357) Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Society Trader

Glad to be of service, cheers!

7. Todd

Todd Founder (5,748) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Thanks @thehyperduck. We'll consider this one closed, but I'll make a note that we need handle the inclusion of these symbols more gracefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.