Beer Road Trip Epicness!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beer21, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer21

Beer21 Champion (858) Oct 17, 2010 Florida
    Society

I spent last week on a brewery/running/hiking road trip in Northern California and Oregon. It was a solo trip without the family. Absolutely glorious! Yes I was lonely at times but had the opportunity to go where I wanted when I wanted. I hit these breweries/taprooms/bars along the way. Tell me about your epic Beer Road Trip.

Russian River Brewing - Santa Rosa, Ca
    North Coast Brewing - Fort Bragg, Ca
    Redwood Curtain Brewing - Arcata, Ca
    Deschutes Brewery - Bend, Or
    Platypus Pub/Beer Shop - Bend, Or
    Crux Fermentation Project - Bend, Or
    Drove by Logsdon Farmhouse Ales - Mt. Hood, Or
    Pfriem Family Brewers - Hood River, Or
    Hair of the Dog - Portland, Or
    Belmont Station - Portland, Or
    Cascade Barrel House - Portland, Or
    10 Barrel - Portland, Or

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,679) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Not too shabby!

Beer21 likes this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,830) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Last year my wife and I drove thru some of the same areas that you did, and we hit 7 of the breweries that are on your list. There is a great beer environment in N. CA and OR. Our trip was 3 weeks long, and we had 40 breweries on our list when we arrived back home. Ten of our 40 were enroute to/from the CA/OR area, so 30 were in some of the same cities that you visited.

Beer21 likes this.
  4. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I am jealous.

Beer21 likes this.
  5. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (504) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My dream is to one day fly into San Diego, rent a car and drive all the way to Portland, stopping everywhere that I want to go along the way.

Maybe some day.

MonkeyBread, Beer21 and Fox82791 like this.
  6. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,363) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Just a quick one day trip for me a few summers ago. Founders, Bell's, Arcadia and Dark Horse. That was an awesome day. Each place had a completely different vibe (Founders was hipster - ish, Bell's was more down to earth and seemed family oriented, Arcadia came off as a little more higher brow but had a mean ass Cuban sandwich and Dark Horse was totally biker / metal - like if there was a brewery on SOA). Every summer I hit at least one brewery in Michigan, and for this year I really want to get to Odd Side and Short's at some point.

BaseballNBeer, TheKlevin and Beer21 like this.
  7. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

I gotta say, I can't quite remember much about the beers I drank @ the places I went to. But the road tripping with nearly drunk friends and family made it extremely fun. It may not be what BA wants to hear. But sometimes its not even about the beer (quality) or ticking.. Just brewery/pub crawling the day away.

We did a brewery/pub crawl through the NH/Maine region a couple years back. Saco, Maine. Kennebunkport, Shipyard, SeaDog, Portsmouth brewer, RedHook, up into Portland ME (no Allagash visit, but a couple of other brewery pubs).

Turning into a more "in the know" type of beer drinker, I don't know if things would have been different if I had known what I was drinking, or checking review scores

Beer21 likes this.
  8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,679) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

FTFY. :wink:

9. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,921) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Sounds great. I'm docking you points for missing deGarde. And the state of Washington. How was that Logsdon drive-by?

beertunes likes this.
  10. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,401) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

Want some company? :slight_smile:

11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Last year for my birthday:

Trinity Brewing (Co. Springs)
    Odell Brewing (Ft. Collins)
    New Belgium (Ft. Collins)
    Funkwerks (Ft. Collins)
    Mayor of Beer Town (Ft. Collins)
    Black Bottle (Ft. Collins)
    Epic Brewing (Denver)
    Great Divide (Denver)
    River North (Denver)
    Falling Rock Tap House (Denver)
    Euclid Hall (Denver)
    Rockies game

Black Bottle was a waste. Crooked Stave was closed on Memorial Day. Could have hit a ton more in the Denver vicinity (Oskar Blues and Dry Dock woulda been priorities) but with a child in tow, not so easy.

Most recent NYC trip I did:

Gunhill Brewing (Bronx)
    Bronx Alehouse (Bronx)
    Tryon Public House (Inwood, Manhattan)
    George Keeley's (Manhattan)
    Dive Bar (Manhattan)
    Rattle n Hum (Manhattan)
    Ginger Man (Manhattan)
    Blind Tiger (Manhattan)
    Good Beer (Manhattan)
    Proletariat (Manhattan)
    Fool's Gold (Manhattan)
    Barcade (St. Mark's location, Manhattan)
    Astoria Bier and Cheese (Queens)
    Singlecut Brewery (Queens)
    Big Alice Brewing (Queens)
    Rockaway Brewing (Queens)
    Transmitter Brewing (Queens)
    Alewife (Queens)
    Brouwerij Lane (Brooklyn)
    Dirck the Norseman (Brooklyn)
    Finback Brewery (Queens)
    Barcade (Brooklyn)
    Jimmy's No. 43 (Manhattan)

A lot of $ was spent.

QuakeAttack and TurkeyFeathers like this.
  12. rynej23

rynej23 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2014 Oregon

Epic my man, I'm a portland native and you didn't waste any time, how was pfriem for ya?

13. OleGee

OleGee Initiate (139) Dec 27, 2013 New Jersey

NICE! Was Other Half in Brooklyn not open?

14. pgrenvicz

pgrenvicz Aspirant (261) Nov 15, 2013 Georgia

Last Summer we left from Atlanta and drove North..

NoDa
    Foothills
    Hardywood
    Orioles game
    Tired Hands
    Monk's
    Capone's
    Troegs
    Pizza Boy
    Millhouse
    Peekskill
    Hill Farmstead
    Waterbury VT for Heady
    Prohibition Pig
    Blackback
    Warren VT for Lawsons

A few other brewpubs/bars not really worth mentioning. We had the time of our lives. The only challenge to planning something like this is dealing with varying hours of operation while in certain areas. Hoping to do the Portland-San Diego run next year as already referenced.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (575) Mar 19, 2012 California

Not really a beer road trip, but last year, my wife and I went the following our our drive from SF Bay Area to Seattle to pick up our son from college:

Southern Oregon (Medford, Or)
    Hair of the Dog (Portland, Or)
    Elyssian (Seattle, WA)
    Pike Peak (Seattle, WA)

Next month, the family is heading down to San Diego!

Beer21 likes this.
  16. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (695) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Beer21 likes this.
  17. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I'd been on an earlier trip and didnt feel like trekking over there. I'll be headed to OH for sure this summer.

18. Beer21

Society

3 weeks? Sweet

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  19. Beer21

Society

Logsdon drive by was underwhelming given that you can't visit, but the scenery around the farm was great! Yes deGarde was next on the list but had to leave. It would have been a haul from Portland to Tillamook. I did pick up a few deGarde beers and hope to try them next week. Maybe next time!

draheim likes this.
  20. Beer21

Society

I think I will save your lists for the future! Nice!

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  21. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Not in defense of ticking, but logging beers into BA or Untappd can admitted take away from the experience of sharing flights amongst a group or when you're in the midst of a marathon drinking day, so I've taken to scribbling notes on the receipt and then taking a phone pic (or the physically receipt itself), so I can remember my thoughts later.

Beer21 likes this.
  22. Beer21

Society

I really enjoyed Pfriem. The taproom/brewery is really nice. Cool hangout for sure. Had a few beers and samples and liked them all. The food was even better. I would have loved to hand out there all day but had to drive SAFELY to Portland.

23. Gilmango

Gilmango Aspirant (205) Jul 17, 2007 California

Just spent 5 days and nights in Seattle during the start of their beer week with a buddy (wife and kids at home). Our airbnb was less than a block from Pine Box, Joe Joes pinball and bar, and 6 Arms brewery (McMennamins) in Capitol Hill (so we got to the first two almost nightly). At various times we hit Reuben's, Stoups, Fremont, Naked City for nanofest and for barrel aged fest, Brouwer's for stout fest, Six Gill for farmhouse/funk/sour fest, Standard, Two Beers, Schooner's Exact, Gastropod, Gordon Biersch (chain but let's their great brewer have free reign), Pike, Holy Mountain, both Chuck's Hop Spots, Elysian Capitol Hill, plus great food, the final show of Sleater Kinney's tour at Showbox, Experience Music Project, etc. (I know I'm forgetting some as I don't have my notes). My buddy even hit a Mariner's game and 6 more places in Ballard beyond what I listed.

beertunes and Beer21 like this.
  24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (575) Mar 19, 2012 California

Bastard....in a good way...

I'm picking up my kid up next month in Seattle. Plan to hit Fremont, but probably can get my wife to go to one or two others (Note: I have been to Pike and Elyssian). Any recommendation?

25. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,556) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Do airplanes count ? :wink:

26. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,831) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A Birthday trip from a few years back. Drove by some others too early in the morning.

Ft. Collins: New Belgium, Odell's, Equinox, Mayor of Old Town
    Salida, Amicas
    Poncha, Springs Elevation Beer Co.
    Alamosa. San Louis Valley Brewing
    Pagosa Springs, Pagosa Springs Brewing
    Durango SKA
    Cortez Main Street Brewing
    Moab UT - Moab Brewing (did some hikes in the NPs)
    Edwards CO Crazy Mountain Brewing
    Denver Prost, Falling Rock Tophouse

Beer21 likes this.
  27. ncelauro

ncelauro Devotee (493) Sep 11, 2009 New York

Flew to Denver for GABF week:

Falling Rock Tap House (GABF events were pretty insane)
    Avery
    Great Divide
    Crooked Stave (highlight of the Denver trip)
    Epic
    Comrade
    Twisted Pine
    Backcountry Pizza & Tap house
    Freshcraft
    Euclid Hall
    GABF 2014

The day after GABF flew to San Fran:

Toronado
    City Beer
    Mikkeller Bar
    The Rare Barrel
    Russian River (2 days in a row)

hunninghake and Beer21 like this.
  28. ari32

ari32 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Georgia

Last year around this same time I went on a two week long road trip by myself from Atlanta to Vermont and back. During the trip I visited:

ChurchKey - DC
    Tired Hands - Ardmore, PA
    Tørst - Brooklyn, NY
    The Pony Bar - Hell's Kitchen, NYC
    Some random Gizmodo event that had a one-off beer from Sixpoint - SoHo, NYC
    New England Brewing Company - Woodbridge, CT
    Armsby Abbey - Worcester, MA
    Jack's Abby - Framingham, MA
    Night Shift's grand opening for the new location - Everett, MA
    Hill Farmstead - Greensboro Bend, VT
    Lawson's Finest farmers market bottle sale (first batch of Triple Sunshine) - Waitsfield, VT
    Hill Farmstead anniversary shindig (Prohibition Pig, Blackback Pub, The Resevoir) - Waterbury, VT
    Drove by The Alchemist, but they had already stopped doing tours at this point
    Tail end of Asheville Beer Week on the way back home (Wicked Weed, Burial, Twin Leaf, Green Man, etc.)

I had not planned ahead of time to center my trip around the Night Shift, Lawson's, or Hill Farmstead events... I just got really lucky. Unfortunately, I was unable to check out Tree House or Trillium due to time constraints, but because of the aforementioned statement, I think I did alright. This was also my first time visiting NYC and Boston, so that was cool. That was a great trip and I will always remember it fondly.

#28 ari32, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    ncelauro likes this.
  29. Beer21

Society

Nice. That is a trip I want to take! Florida to Vermont via ATL!

30. Gilmango

Gilmango Aspirant (205) Jul 17, 2007 California

Six Gill was a real nice beer bar with a great menu helpful staff and a patio, I think it would be very "wife friendly" as the food was great, decor nice, make mixed drinks and wine too, etc. Also it is right near some cute shops, if your wife is not into metal music (which seems to be all they play at Brouwer's) let her walk around the shops and check out the cool art in Fremont while you go to Brouwer's just a couple blocks away. Then meet up and head to Fremont which has a huge patio with water view.

Also, if you are a "ticker" at all or just like to try as many places as you can in one area, you need to go to Ballard. Literally 8-10 breweries each within a block or two of the next one. Don't know what you do with your wife or kid then.

If you have a car and you or your wife is a "foodie" or likes unusual beers maybe check out Gastropod, good-to-great and very innovative food and beers. If the wife likes cider Two Beers is even further south and serves both solid beers and ciders.

Hope that helps, otherwise definitely just look at the Seattle guide on this site which lists many restaurants with really solid beer selections, and also lists local breweries to look out for, with both those in mind you can get good food and order good local beer at the same time.

beertunes and QuakeAttack like this.
  31. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,207) Feb 11, 2009 Canada
    Society Trader

I keep trying to convince my wife that a brewery road trip would be awesome but she's not on board.....yet:wink:

Beer21 likes this.
  32. mikebezek

mikebezek Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

@Beer21 awesome trip.. headed to Portland in a couple months. What brewery did you think was best?

Beer21 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.