Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Germany Beer Scene in Feuerbach-Stuttgart

Discussion in 'Europe' started by raverjames, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Are you serious?

2. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Glad we could help. It's good to know there's another good Getränkemarkt we can recommend in the Stuttgart area. I had never heard of Heinrich 3000, so it's good to know for the future requests we get.

Did you ever get around to the plant in Bamberg and try the beers there?

herrburgess likes this.
  3. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I just want to quibble a bit...this was an accurate picture (maybe) of the Stuttgart beer scene, not the German beer scene. There are lots of good/great beers in Germany, but also lots of places on the map that are stuck in the Pils/Export/Weizen model. That said, I also think someone who comes to Germany looking for American craft or Belgian specialties is setting him/herself up for disappointment - that just isn't in the DNA here yet. Sometimes you just have to do a little digging to find the treasures. I'm glad you at least found a few that you enjoyed.

herrburgess likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Did you get a chance to drink Dinkel Acker CD Pils? If so, what was your impression of that beer. It appear that this beer is now being imported into the US and a number of BAs are anxious to try it.

Cheers!

5. einhorn

einhorn Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Maybe they should send back the Italian pizzas, Turkish döner kebaps, French wines, and Dutch cheeses to their respective countries, they obviously have no place in Germany.

digita7693 and JackHorzempa like this.
  6. Gutes_Bier

I've noticed these threads and need to revisit this beer, I think. This area is well stocked with Dinkel Acker, and I'm sure I've tried it but don't remember being all that impressed. Next time I see one I'll pick it up and report back in the appropriate thread.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. Gutes_Bier

Here are the problems with your argument - and please, bear in mind this is coming from someone who enjoys Belgian beers and wishes they were more available here:

1) Italian pizzas and Turkish Döner are not being made in their respective countries and shipped here, they are being made by people who have settled here.
    2) As far as I can tell, Germany's cheese is not a matter of national identity and pride (although the Bavaria Blue is good!)
    3) Germans seem to feel that beer should be consumed where it is brewed. Check out this website of a relatively new Altbier brewery in Düsseldorf, particularly point #2: http://brauerei-kuerzer.de/?page_id=152
    4) RE: French wine...well...I mean, who's going to turn down French wine?

I see the point that all these people coming here and asking where to find non-German beers is akin to going somewhere - anywhere - and telling them their beer is not good enough. This is particularly insulting to a German, I would think.

steveh, boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

“ …I'm sure I've tried it but don't remember being all that impressed.” I pretty much stated that same sentiment in another thread where I stated:

“It has been an extremely long time since I drank a Dinkelacker so my beer memory is not very reliable but I do not recall that I found this beer to be remarkable”

Please do report back your findings.

Cheers!

9. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

Awful, bland, industrial German mass-pils. 08/15 as we say here. ;)

Gutes_Bier and JackHorzempa like this.
  10. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

FWIW, I fall pretty squarely in the camp of not a fan of Dinkel Acker's pils.

russpowell and Gutes_Bier like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Thank you for your input. It has been a very, very long time since I had this beer and my memory of it is very consistent with your description.

Prost!

12. Gutes_Bier

Well I will follow through with my promise, but the forecast for this experience is not looking very rosy.

13. JackHorzempa

You da man! Taking one for the team!!

Prost!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  14. Gutes_Bier

Just FYI, you'll have to be a bit patient (as with the Jever report). The local REWE carries the Stuttgart beers, but REWE shopping day is Saturday for me, and this Saturday I'll be headed to Düsseldorf (yay!) with some friends (possible trip-report, possible not) so no REWE shopping. Feel free to remind me that I owe you a Dinkel Acker Pils report. Unlike that Budweiser guy who (probably?) still owes you the numbers on that beer you had asked him about, I will get you your information, Jack! [I'd put a Smiley here but they've been weird for me since the update]

JackHorzempa likes this.
  15. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

When it was imported previously, it was a far better Pils than the likes of Warsteiner or Radeburger -- 2 Pilsners that always seem to attract a lot of praise here at BA. It had bigger body and bolder malt character than either Spaten or Paulaner Pils, and though I never tried it alongside Jever, the price point made it a go-to for me.

That said, it was brewed for export by Spaten (under license by Dinkelacker), so I can't say how it may grab me direct from the Stuttgart brewery. Only time will tell.

16. Gutes_Bier

What is being imported now/soon is going to be the Stuttgart stuff?

17. steveh

Yes. About 5 years ago (+/-) AB-InBev stopped Spaten from contracting the Dinkelacker for export so that they could use the brewery to brew more... Beck's. o_O

danfue and Gutes_Bier like this.
  18. raverjames

raverjames Dec 11, 2003 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Doubtful. I have tried beer from every brewery in Stuttgart area, and several others from Bamberg and Munich. I am guessing I tried 50 different beers in the last month. Aside from Camba, Braufactum, and Keesmann-Brau, I have found the beers here to be generally pretty bland.

19. raverjames

Beer Trader

I never once looked for Belgian beer while I was here. I decided not to try before I even arrived.

20. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Which did you get to try from Bamberg (and Munich)? Did you make the trip(s) there? Assuming the Keesmann standout for you was the pils?

21. raverjames

Beer Trader

My time in Bamberg was too short, but a coworker there gave me 10 beers from the various local breweries. I am a big fan of Keesmann-Brau Herren Pils. There were a few others from Bamberg that also had some good qualities.

seanyfo likes this.
  22. raverjames

Beer Trader

I was never looking for American craft. German craft was an accidental discovery. Germans should be proud. This American can tell you the German craft is on par with some of the better American breweries.

JackHorzempa and Gutes_Bier like this.
  23. raverjames

Beer Trader

Yeah that one wasn't very good. But it is served at quite a few bars, so I drank a few liters.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  24. raverjames

Beer Trader

Bamberg beers:
    Rauchbier (Schlenkerla?)
    Gunther-Brau Lager
    Krug-Brau lager
    Fassla Lager
    Fassla Swergla?
    Klosterbrau Schwarzla (drinking right now) - big fan of this.

25. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Don't' forget, the Döner kebab is a Made in Germany invention. Having lived in Istanbul in 1994 for a year, there 's never been anything like it, until it was invented in Berlin by Turks who combined German, Italian and Turkish ideas to what we now call a Döner, which was then reimported back to Turkey. Just like the hamburger started as a Frikadellen.
    What, you've never had Handkäs mit Musik?
    Funny, I've never heard of this place/beer... have you had it and why haven't we discussed it before?

They say on the website:
    "Beer is drunk where it's brewed. Or where you take it with you."

I'm insulted (think anyone has noticed?), and I'm not even German.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  26. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Interesting assortment. Were those hand-selected by your co-worker? I will admit that most of those are beers that you'd ideally want to consume in quantity to truly appreciate their nuances. Just one bottle is unlikely to impress.

That said, what would you say the brewer might be doing "wrong" to create what you feel is a "bland" flavor profile?

27. raverjames

Beer Trader

Some of them didn't even have much flavor for the style, and others were decent. These were selected by my coworker, because he liked them. Honestly, the stuff from Bamberg was better than most of the stuff I bought in Stuttgart.

Btw, I am not claiming that people are making their beer wrong. I would have liked to try more than just pilsners brewed 10 different ways, and I really love pilsners. I was sad that no one here knew anything about Berlinerweissbier, eisbock, or many other wonderful German styles. Things are very regional here.

28. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Not sure what you mean here. Can you explain a bit further?

29. raverjames

Beer Trader

Pilsners with no hop crispness. Schwarzbiers with almost no roast. I was happy anytime I could find a hefeweizen that had stronger clove characters.

JackHorzempa and boddhitree like this.
  30. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Ah. Got ya. Thx.

EDIT: Are you referring to the Schwaerzla regarding Schwarzbiers? Because I would place that beer more in the tradition of Franconian Dunkels (tending toward Czech Tmave Pivo) than something like a Koestritzer. Did you try the Mönchshof Schwarzbier?

#70 herrburgess, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  31. Gutes_Bier

Just heard of it myself in a NY Times article about Düsseldorf. I considered posting the article but it was more about the city than the beer per se (although alt does get a mention). So I looked them up. There are two ratings on this site, neither of which make me want to rush over there. I may buy a bottle, we'll see.

32. raverjames

Beer Trader

No, the Bamberg was the first Schwarzla I tried, and it is quite good. I had a few Scwarzbiers from Stuttgart and Munich. Never tried the Monschof, or at least I don't remember it. Breznak was one of the big name Schwarzbiers. That was a fairly bland one.

herrburgess likes this.
  33. Gutes_Bier

OK, apologies if I inferred incorrectly from your statement about "palate overload" when returning to the States. I took that to mean that you were missing the hop bombs of home. It's a common lament from American beer geeks re: German beers, from what I've seen. Re: the Belgian beer comment, I didn't direct that at you personally but that's also something that comes up from time-to-time here when Americans visit, and the conversation in this thread went that direction which prompted my response. Again, glad you were able to find something you liked!

herrburgess likes this.
  34. raverjames

Beer Trader

Yeah man, I checked the ratings for Camba. They need more love. Great German adaptations of other styles. Just drank the German IPA tonight. Great balance and a wonderful hop character. It isn't like US hop bombs. Something very different and clean.

35. herrburgess

Beer Trader

May sound like a crazy question, but what did you think of the food? Try much bread or yogurt? (Promise this is beer related, UncleJimbo! I find that there are similar differences between U.S. and German bread and yogurt as there are between U.S. craft and German beer.)

36. raverjames

Beer Trader

German food is excellent. Especially Schwabian cuisine. We went to a small suburb south of Stuttgart on Saturday and had a traditional meal on top of a castle. I had a schnitzel dish with local wild mushrooms and noodles. Very tasty. I also have a weird obsession with blutwurst.

russpowell and Gutes_Bier like this.
  37. steveh

It's got to be so difficult visiting Germany after "growing up" on the type of craft beers so prominent in the US these days. Traditional German beers are so far from the hop/bitterness kick or ABV bounce you get so often over here.

If you look at style guides and study how the beers are supposed to taste, I'd bet you'd be surprised that a majority of what you tried tasted just as it should -- whether bland to your palate or not.

For one thing, not all Scwarzbiers are roasty -- and the ones that are certainly aren't as roasty as an Imperial Stout or Porter. To crispness, well -- that's more mouthfeel than flavor, so it's a difficult character to question. What beers do you consider to have "hop crispness?"

38. steveh

...or, Bitburger.

Tell ya, given the choice of Bitburger, Radeburger, Warsteiner, or Dinkelacker... I have a hands-down choice.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  39. raverjames

Beer Trader

I grew up drinking plenty of imported German beers. I rather enjoy Jever and one of my favorite German pilsners is brewed by Trumer. Not all German pils are bland. Same with schwarzbiers. Not sure how much time you have spent over here, but many beers seem to be macrobrewed now. I imagine German beer was very different 20 years ago.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  40. steveh

Is this your first trip? I've been to Germany quite a few times and while I understand the idea of too much industrialization, I was rarely disappointed in my choices.

Why haven't you reviewed it, or did I miss it in your list? It would give us a good idea of what you consider good in a Pilsner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe