1. Learn how to start Trading today! (required to post and build your trade reputation)

Beer shipping tips

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by malf922, Feb 21, 2018.

1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,311) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

UPS packed your box for you? Wow ... you may have pulled it off that time, but in reality @John_M is right. UPS prohibits the shipment of alcohol without a license, which Im assuming you don't have. So don't expect your experience to be the norm or to be duplicated. (Unless, I guess if you go back to the same place and they just ignore UPS policy.)

PbFarmer and Beer_Economicus like this.
  2. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Crusader (759) Jan 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yeah I figured as much. All worked out in the end this time. I quit drinking many years ago and this is the only beer I'll be having cause it was the white whale I could never find.

swenny916 and FBarber like this.
  3. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (844) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

You're extremely lucky. This is against their corporate policy as @John_M stated, likewise with FedEx. If you can continue to do that at the same location, then all power to you, though.

ETA: oops, missed that there was a 2nd page to this thread and basically repeated what @FBarber said.

Beer_Economicus, Vidblain and FBarber like this.
  4. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Crusader (759) Jan 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ha yeah. Well this is the last time I'll ever be drunk! Just rated the Pliny a few min ago.

5. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Disciple (353) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

They always ask me what I'm shipping, they are always more expensive, and they seem to always be slower. I've never had any issues with damage from them as a sender or a recipient (knock on wood), but FedEx seems to just be a smoother experience (knock on more wood.)

Beer_Economicus and Vidblain like this.
  6. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (844) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

For me, they've always been more expensive compared to FedEx the few times I compared prices for the exact same box. Even with an online account and print your own labels, I don't believe you get a discount for that vs. FedEx. I only use UPS for shipments to VT or when my trade partner requested it.

7. WIBeerSnob

WIBeerSnob Initiate (175) Jan 31, 2017 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Interesting, I've never compared the prices. I haven't had an issue with UPS, but maybe I'll give FedEx a try in my next few trades and see how things go.

Thanks

mythaeus likes this.
  8. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Savant (941) Feb 5, 2014 Texas

I pack 99% of my boxes the same way unless I am using a styrofoam shipper.

All cans and bottles get zip locked prior to being wrapped in bubble wrap. I have a strong personal preference of using rubber bands to secure the bubble wrap so that it can be reused many times. Cans and bottles get placed in to box that ensures the snuggest fit. Ideally bottles will be vertical versus horizontal in order to minimize sloshing but not always possible. That box gets sealed and placed in to another box. Label gets printed out and slapped on the box. Box gets dropped off at a third party shipper who has multiple pick ups a day and could care less what’s actually in the box.

9. Dactrius

Dactrius Meyvn (1,076) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Beer and shipping isn't cheap. By comparison, styros are reasonably priced and basically eliminate any stress I have when shipping and take way less time to package up. If I'm shipping bombers I'm almost always going to use a styro, it's money really well spent (obviously even more so if it's a RTP who is just going to reuse it). If you're shipping cans or 12oz bottles, well, other people have got that covered pretty well.

10. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,174) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

One of the good things about a regular trade partner is if you have a real good shipper, you just keep reusing it. There is six shipper that has made the trip between Florida and New Jersey at least a dozen times.
    I just had to retire it. R. I. P. Good friend

gibgink, FFFjunkie, Vidblain and 3 others like this.
  11. WIBeerSnob

Beer Trader

Have to say, after reading these threads you guys convinced me to switch to FedEx (cheaper/faster), rather than using UPS (even though I never had a problem with UPS). Not sure if it's bad luck or what, because tracking these two packages have been a nightmare, and it's been less than 24 hours.

At UPS, you get tracking updates 1)When you print the label, 2)Package is scanned at drop off location, 3)When it's put on a truck, 4)When it arrives at the distribution center, etc, etc, etc. UPS is very detailed about where your package is throughout the process. I guess I've grown accustomed to that since that's what I used since I started trading.

For FedEx, I feel like I'm in the dark. I printed two shipping labels yesterday afternoon. One showed up immediately on my FedEx app as Label Created (so...all cool). The second one, however said the tracking numbers wasn't valid when I entered it in (and yes I've double checked the # about a dozen times to see if I typed it in wrong). I dropped the packages off at my corner Walgreens, where they are a registered FedEx drop location with no issues.

This morning, and into the afternoon, I see the tracking hasn't moved one bit. One still says "Label Created" and the other is still not valid. I'm thinking WTF!! I called Walgreens this afternoon and the lady said the FedEx guy came by and picked both packages up this morning. Odds are, everything is fine and the packages are on its way. But why am I having to call...shouldn't the tracking info be telling me this?

Is this normal for FedEx tacking to be this bad? Or was I spoiled on how detailed UPS was?

(rant over)

12. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (350) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I've never had a number not show up as label created if the number was typed in correctly - for me, or from someone sending to me. I'm leaning towards you having typed it in wrong even though you double checked.

FedEx updates whenever it reaches a point where the package is passed off. If this is from one truck to the next (or truck to airplane), you might see an update indicating it reached a location (.e.g Kansas City), but not an update saying "Arrived, departed." Only seen this a couple times - every other time I have seen "arrived" and "departed." Frequently the update shows up anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours later depending on...Fed Ex factors (I assume something internal).

If you drop off at a non-FedEx location (i.e. walgreens), your updates may not show up right away. Not sure why, but that seems to be a common occurrence. Sometimes not till after it was delivered. No idea why.

You can set up your FedEx account to update (by e-mail, text) everytime the account updates if you want.

Also, I feel like FedEx gives me MUCH more information than UPS. UPS will sometimes not update for 2-3 days on a 5 day trip while it is "still moving." FedEx almost always has a daily update because...it is actually moving everyday, and from the midwest, everything in the contiguous US should be 3 days (I think).

Hope that helps.

13. WIBeerSnob

Beer Trader

I actually took a picture of the shipping label, so I know exactly what the number is. I typed it in about 2 dozen times over the past 20 hours...each time is says not a valid tracking number. I can even see the correct tracking number in my Shipment History in my FedEx account. I copied and pasted that number in the Tracking finder (just so I didn't have to type it)...still nothing.

I fell victim to not leaving well enough alone. Probably will go back to UPS after this. Maybe it's going through Walgreens rather than dealing directly with an actual FedEx location...which I don't have one near me.

Funny thing is, even though I can't track this package, I'm sure it'll find my trading partner just fine.

14. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,311) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Give it at least 24 hours. This is especially true when you drop off the package at a third party location and not an actual Fedex store. If theres nothing after a full 24 hours, then I'd worry a bit.

Vidblain and Beer_Economicus like this.
  15. WIBeerSnob

Beer Trader

Wow...26 hours after I dropped it off, the tracking # finally is valid.

Back to UPS where the tracking number is accountable the minute I create a shipping label at home.

FBarber likes this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

To be fair, I have honestly had many more problems with UPS tracking #s not registering until very late than I have had FedEx, and I have shipped/received probably 6x as many Fedex as UPS. You just got a bad turn, honestly.

I recently shipped to the NE. Fedex would have been 2 days, UPS took 5 fucking days. I only went UPS because I had to. It cost me about $13 more than FedEx would have as well. It's kind of ridiculous how much more expensive they are. If you're going to go UPS, you might as well just go USPS. USPS is faster and certainly not any more costly, and if anything, they are better about tracking.

Vidblain and FBarber like this.
  17. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,632) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

I agree with @Beer_Economicus , I have never had a similar experience when using FedEx. I use a shipping center, not an actual FedEx location. I get a text with a tracking link instantly.

I only use FedEx if it doesn't fit in USPS priority flat rate though (or if its close or small making it cheaper than USPS).

Moved to FedEx from UPS due to issues similar to what you described above. I used UPS for probably my first 50 boxes shipped. Probably 85% USPS, 15% FedEx in the 350 plus since. One issue in those 350, FedEx called and said they couldn't deliver beer, but they let the recipient pick it up at the local facility.

Beer_Economicus and FBarber like this.
  18. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

@WIBeerSnob Just as another mention of the inconsistencies of UPS: I have 2 packages coming to me tomorrow. Neither one has updated consistently or appropriately or at every point they were supposed to. Still rarely have this happen with FedEx.

19. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (145) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

New shipper myself did 5 trades my first week (hit the ground running lol) packed up mine tried to roll each can in small square of bubble then put 2-4 cans depending what fit in a ziploc and repeated good packing on inside some cardboard pieces if I could to reinforce haven't had an issue yet. Did all of mine FedEx not sure of USPS some people say they do but seems sketchy most I paid on Fedex was 17 bucks or so so comparable to a large priority although not the speed.

20. SagittariusA

SagittariusA Initiate (166) Jan 23, 2017 Missouri
    Beer Trader

For my time and peace of mind, I buy and use nothing but styrofoam shippers while sending with FedEx. Never had a shipping issues with my beer but have received several jacked up boxes from others not packing properly and using UPS.

Also received many where I was floored they made it intact. Trade with me, and you get pro packing—every time.

FFFjunkie and Beer_Economicus like this.
  21. K_Dubb1227

K_Dubb1227 Initiate (123) Mar 22, 2018 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I too am having the same issue. I created two labels on Saturday and dropped both boxes off to wal-greens about 2 hours ago on my lunch, they are still reading invalid tracking numbers and my account also has not been billed. However I do have an email stating that both packages were scanned at the dropoff location waiting to be picked up. I guess I'll just have to give it 24 hours to see if something shows up.

22. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,632) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

In my experience dropping off at a second party shipping agency (e.g. Walgreens for FedEx) the tracking info does not show up until the FedEx driver scans them when picked up.

23. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

To add to what @jhavs said, I'm not sure about UPS, because i fucking hate them, but FedEx bills you once a month. At least, that's how it's always happened for me. I've never been charged when my package is scanned or picked up.

SagittariusA, jhavs and K_Dubb1227 like this.
  24. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Devotee (470) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I get billed for each box, usually a couple of days after they are delivered.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  25. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Is that with UPS or FedEx?

26. K_Dubb1227

K_Dubb1227 Initiate (123) Mar 22, 2018 Ohio
    Beer Trader

So to update on this, it is now showing up as picked up at 1:41, so all appears good! I'd say your information was correct.

jhavs and Beer_Economicus like this.
  27. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Devotee (470) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

My fedex account.

28. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Wierd. I wonder why you get charged instantly while mine is once a month. It's been that way regardless of whether I have shipped 1 box or 7 boxes that month. It's not the end of the month, but it is certainly a 30day rolling cycle. It's a monthly invoice, effectively, and paid out at that time from my form of payment.

29. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (166) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I also get charged around a week after shipping with Fedex

30. odcardinal

odcardinal Aspirant (234) Apr 12, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I completely agree with the styro shipper. I take it to the next level and put the shipper in another box. The double box method is my preference. And if I’m sending a irreplaceable bottle I only send that bottle in a solo shipper in another box.

SammyJaxxxx and SagittariusA like this.
  31. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (536) May 11, 2016 Illinois

In probably 30 times mailing beer the only time a box of mine didn't go out the day it was supposed to was when I dropped my Fed Ex box at Walgreeens. Never again.

Yep, me too now that I look.

At this point I'm almost exclusively using Fed Ex unless my fellow trader requests UPS. For me, Fed Ex is almost always a few bucks cheaper, delivers a day quicker than UPS (Residential Vs Ground), and delivers on Saturday w/ seemingly no extra charge.

32. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I said this before, but I hate UPS so I mean bandwagoning. UPS is mininum 1 day quicker, no matter how close I am shipping. It is - at best for the far reach shipments, sometimes 4 days quicker. It is beyond me why UPS is so god damn slow. I can't even fathom that it is cheaper for them - but it must be, somehow.