Beer shop finds.

Discussion in 'New England' started by Sweatshirt, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire

Figured this might be a fun thread about some beers that don't get mentioned in specific threads.

There is a ton (probably too much) stuff coming in and new stuff too. It's tough to keep up with.

Here's a few of mine recently.

Honest Weight: Both the Overly Dedicated (which I've already praised) and the World Passport (BPA collaboration with enlightenment) were great. The latter I found for $5.99/500ml. Not bad at all.

I also grabbed Tall Buoy from Newburyport. It's labeled as a NE style IPA. It was okay. It reminded me of a less caramel malty and slightly more fruity version of Greenhead. Still a bracing bitter finish. Not something I'd run out to buy again but it was different and enjoyable for what it is.

I grabbed Concord Brewing NEIPA out of NH and didn't think it was very good at all.

Lastly, glad to have Zero Gravity on the shelves too. Green State Lager, Conehead, and Little Wolf are all very enjoyable with good prices.

Been on the lookout for the Ipswich NEIPA with no luck yet.

Anyone find anything at thier beer shops notably good or worth mentioning so others aren't inclined to seek it out?

bruindre, jaysker95, Mikecap and 8 others like this.
  2. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (137) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Haven't seen much praise recently, but Solar Plexus by The Tap is one that comes to mind for me. Very good overall and the price point makes it even better.

3. Sweatshirt

The invisible creatures pale is a decent session as well.

4. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Disciple (324) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ayinger Bavarian Pils is probably the best beer I've drank this entire summer. Really wish it was a year round offering.

5. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Has this been available in 4x 500ml packs? I haven't seen it available in any format around the Seaport or Waltham

Sweatshirt likes this.
  6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Down the Road Golden City was a nice NE-ish IPA for $10.99/4-pack pounders.

Riverwalk Citrabus IPA is pretty good too, seems to be at most shops in northern MA - & their regular IPA seems to be on draft at every local yokel place in the Merrimack valley.

AirBob and Sweatshirt like this.
  7. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (148) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Cool thread idea

CBC Fenway is one of my favorite stores in Boston proper. There's the obvious luxury tax you pay but their selection is nicely curated and the staff is great.

Recently grabbed some Fort Hill Fresh Pick that was a really nice beer. Reminds me a lot like Patina...so much that I assumed it was a low abv. Had two pints of them at a bar and was surprised by my inebriation. Whoops.

Also grabbed a cambridge brewing/jester king collab...wild ale aged with cherries. Haven't popped it yet, but I love cambridge brewing and jester king is pretty solid too. Should be fun.

#7 JonnyJuicebox, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Jpingy, PhilDicarlo, ransom22 and 3 others like this.
  8. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (260) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I second Fort Hill. Everything I've had from them has been great and very reasonably priced. One Stop in Haverhill recently started getting cans.

JakerLou and Sweatshirt like this.
  9. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Chestnut Hill Wegmans had a nice selection of boozy beers last time I was there. Plenty of Oak-Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout ($8.99), w00tstout ($8.99), and Revolution Straight Jacket ($14.99). Haven't cracked a OAVWWS yet, but this year's w00tstout and Straight Jacket are really good.

Need to grab a CBC Picture of Nectar and maybe some of the Evil Twin/Jackie O's imperial stout. Anyone seen prices on the latter?

Sweatshirt likes this.
  10. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Disciple (324) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yup, found 4 packs in Brookline and CBC Fenway. Only 330ml bottles though :slight_frown:

Sweatshirt likes this.
  11. DaaaaBeers

DaaaaBeers Initiate (112) Oct 9, 2015 Massachusetts

OAVWWS is drinking amazingly right now. They masked the alcohol very well for the ABV and there's no heat at all to it. Vanilla is shining through right now, might pick up another bottle to age and see how it progresses.

Also picked up a Pecan Porter from Clown Shoes at Julios, which hasn't been cracked yet, but looking forward to opening it up this weekend.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  12. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (155) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

We got a special shipment of Melvin from WY a few months ago. I think Sean Lawson shipped it himself.

Jackie O's is on the shelf around town now. Nice surprise and probably a one time only deal.

jaysker95 and Sweatshirt like this.
  13. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,795) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

14. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (155) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Been wondering about that one. I guess I'll pull the trigger tonight. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sweatshirt and jhavs like this.
  15. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (161) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Lamplighter and Fort Hill have been standouts so far this year. These have been mentioned in this and other threads though. I tried the Ipswich 1620 and it was pretty generic in terms of NEIPA. Not very difficult to come across in North Shore MA. Maybe can find at "The City" or Prost in NH.

dynajack1, meefmoff, JakerLou and 2 others like this.
  16. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (462) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I really enjoyed the 1620, I think the flavor profile was predictable , but well done

Leebo and Sweatshirt like this.
  17. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (161) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think by having it together with Hi Def and Rabbit Rabbit distorted my perception a bit.

Sweatshirt and jlordi12 like this.
  18. TheBirdSanc

TheBirdSanc Initiate (199) May 23, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I enjoyed it very much as well, in fact I think all the 16oz can offerings from Ipswich have been very good (Bramble On, Cranberry Beret, Zumatra and 1A supposedly coming soon :zipper_mouth:). 1620 has a real dank aroma to it but it is nice and smooth.

Anyone have the new Finbacks? Lollipop and Sublimate? I ran out and grabbed as much Smooth Beats Miami as I could. That beer is awesome, but I love everything coconut.

Sweatshirt and jlordi12 like this.
  19. TheBirdSanc

TheBirdSanc Initiate (199) May 23, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

20. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (128) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

anyone tried Flower Power in cans? I was extremely disappointed in them, and I can't believe it's all due to changed pallet.

I got a 4 pack maybe a month after they first showed up, so at worst it was 60 days out. got almost zero nose upon opening, and almost no discernible qualities. it was a beer, it wasn't offensive tasting, it just wasn't flower power.. I gave the other 3 beers to non-discriminating neighbors who never noticed a thing.

This was a beer I constantly had in my fridge until 2015 or so but haven't had too many since. would love to hear that I got a bad batch, but none of my local beer drinking buddies or even untapped friends drink it.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  21. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (129) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

I have a bottle of Overly Dedicated and Oxbow's BAFPA, neither of which I've had (the latter ashamedly so). Stoked about getting into those.

Kent Fall Buckwheat Grisette is fan-f'n-tastic. Bright and dry, and drinks bigger than that 4.8%.

Sweatshirt and jhavs like this.
  22. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Devotee (457) Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts

Couldn't agree more about flower power in the can, flower power in the bottle and on tap is always a go to for me. Glad to see it wasn't just me who found it really off

Sweatshirt likes this.
  23. juliolugo

Grabbed some Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine at CBC Newton. Excited to begin replenishing the cellar with boozy beers for cool evenings.

Jpingy, Sweatshirt and woodfinish like this.
  24. Sweatshirt

Flower Power, for me, has been a different and worse beer for many years since the recipe change. I don't really bother with it anymore. I'll grab it on tap every once in a long while when nostalgia wins me over and am always let down.

Central Waters huh? Is that in MA it just a one time or rare periodic drop?

mrz200, Trumpetguy and jlordi12 like this.
  25. juliolugo

I think Central Waters has been in MA for maybe about a year-ish now. I've found their Scotch Ale and Imperial Stout on the shelves as well.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  26. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (189) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

In this category: A ~1yo old batch of the Mikkeller/Grassroots "Wheat Is The New Hops" in 500mL cans popped up on shelves about a month ago and is still available in a few places. It's Brett-forward and like past batches drinks as good or better with the age. Pemberton had it at some outrageously low price, too. $12/4 pack?

I've also really enjoyed the trend towards imperial stouts showing up in slightly more manageable 16oz cans instead of 22oz bombers. Speedway was the best in that format I've had, also liked the various Evil Twin concoctions. Even More Coco Jesus was a lot of fun even thought it's conceptually sort of a bad joke.

rhino88888888 and Sweatshirt like this.
  27. Sweatshirt

Interesting. I've never once seen it.

28. juliolugo

Allagash Brett IPA is really good. The tropical flavors the brett and the hops are throwing off are unreal.

29. Sweatshirt

Finding prairie paradise and bomb around as well. Cracked a paradise. It was pretty good. The coconut was more restrained than I would have liked though.

Jpingy likes this.
  30. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (309) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Had an honest weight untitled Unmastered at Brewers Fork in Charlestown. Lovely. Little juicy, little hazy, tropical and soft. Very tasty.

Had a can of that Ipswich NEIPA, not great.

Grabbed Greater Good Pulp. Again a NEIPA. Bit thin. Tasty by any measure except when weighed against all the stellar beers coming out of NE.

Presently guzzling the latest Stone mix pack. Ruination just keeps getting better and better. The Ghost Hammer is damn tasty too.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  31. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (309) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Just grabbed a couple of paradise this evening, gonna swap one for a westy next week

Sweatshirt likes this.
  32. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (938) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

I was buying up those old wheat is the new hops 4pks too. Really tasty brett pale. I think they were $11 where I got them. I couldn't figure out if the singles they had were just put into 4pks and sold off to move old stock

rhino88888888 and Sweatshirt like this.
  33. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (318) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

CBC in Belmont had (and still has, I think?) some cans of Passion Fruit Prussian from 4hands, came into the state for that sour fest at Springdale. That stuff is excellent.

DarthCerevisiae and Sweatshirt like this.
  34. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (129) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

UPDATE: I was really, really impressed with the Honest Weight. Bright and slightly acidic, perfectly carbed for the style. I'm really bummed I didn't stop in when I was out there earlier this year. Opted for Cold Harbor on my way back east. German porter was really great, but after having the HW, I really need to make a trip, I think.

SouthAtholSuds and Sweatshirt like this.
  35. Sweatshirt

It's a great hang. Owners are the coolest dudes too.

Sheppard likes this.
  36. juliolugo

Any find any of the last couple Dragon's Milk Reserves on the shelves in the greater Boston area? I think I recall Triple Mash making a brief appearance, but never saw Mexican Spice Cake or S'mores.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  37. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,088) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

I grabbed an Overly Dedicated last week. I'm looking forward to it even more after reading this thread.

I thought Aeronaut's Double Hop Hop was pretty fantastic. I was also pleasantly surprised with Lamplighter's Pressure Drop. A ton of flavor for a "pale ale".

woodfinish and Sweatshirt like this.
  38. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,390) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Never saw Triple Mash but I scooped up singles of Mexican Spice Cake and S'mores at different times this year from CBC Braintree. Just randomly came across them. Mexican Spice Cake tasted great (all the componants blended seamlessly) and is a real value at ~$4.50 a single. Wasn't a fan of S'mores (too sweet for me) but I'll be damned if it didn't taste just like graham crackers and marshmallows.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  39. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

To add to what others have said, Fort Hill has been my favorite new beer shop find this year. Fresh Pick is priced very well and is delicious. And, since almost everything else I'm buying these days for hoppy stuff is in pint cans, a nice change of pace with the format.

meefmoff, JrGtr and Sweatshirt like this.
  40. mattyg2k

mattyg2k Initiate (68) May 5, 2017 Maine
    Trader

I was in my local beer store and saw Little Choppy from Mast Landing. Excellent session and to be honest, I only saw it because of the bright colors on the cool can design.

Lone_Freighter and Sweatshirt like this.