Beer shop finds.

Discussion in 'New England' started by Sweatshirt, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nice! I enjoy Central waters BA stouts quite a bit. Haven’t they been on shelves here already though?

Ryanwithacomb and Sheppard like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,121) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I thought craft beer was dying though? :wink:

3. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (260) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Imagine if all these places hit distro 7-8 years ago? People would be losing their minds. CW makes great beer but I just see it sitting in MA like everything else.

AlcahueteJ, Sheppard and Rysk22 like this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

Great minds...

5. kingsuect

kingsuect Initiate (36) Oct 6, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

anyone know if DDH pseudo sue is gonna make it to MA?

6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

The ONLY new brewery outside NE I’d like to see distributed here is Great Lakes Brewing. Dortmunder Gold & Eddie Fitz Porter would absolutely be in my reg rotation.

7. Rysk22

Trader

I would assume it is. We got it in bottles and we’ve seen almost every big can release. I’m still holding out hope for Morning Latte even though I found Rover Truck to be a bit underwhelming....

kingsuect likes this.
  8. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (130) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

This is my pipe dream: I wish the opposite. I wish nothing would come to new markets, and I wish everything that isn’t would go back. All local (let’s say New England). Want Stone, Modern Times, go to San Diego; Want Revolution, go to Chicago.

Too many great beers sit on shelves because they’ve been in warehouses and in trucks bumping across the country. I love Firestone, for example, but I don’t buy it because I don’t want an 8-month old Pivo. So I’ll just get it when I head out west.

I care about beer. I work in beer. But even I get overwhelmed with options at the beer store.

9. AlcahueteJ

This beer hit weeks ago, and came and went my friend.

It might be still kicking around some places? But I think the canning date was 6/28.

Unless there's a new batch?

I would have liked to have seen Surly Bitter Brewer rather than Todd the Axe Man.

Breweries I'd love to see in MA that will likely never make it here...

Live Oak, Olde Mecklenberg, and New Glarus would be great.

But then again...

I also agree with this.

SunDevilBeer and Rysk22 like this.
  10. kingsuect

Trader

no different sue

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  11. AlcahueteJ

Oh shit, yeah sorry. I was thinking of Galaxy Pseudo Sue.

12. dele

dele Initiate (46) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

The Central Waters news is great news. As someone who used to live in WI, I can attest that they make outstanding beer and sell it at very reasonable prices, at least in the Midwest. Concerns about shelf sitting are warranted, but I'm a much bigger fan of their dark beers than their hoppy offerings anyway, and those won't suffer as much from being a little old. All of their barrel aged beers are highly recommended. I only hope the pricing here is close to what they sell it for in their home region.

Rysk22 likes this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

Ha!

Good one.

oldbean likes this.
  14. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,174) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

What do they sell for back in WI?

15. dele

dele Initiate (46) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Generally $9 or so for a 6x12 of their standard offerings: stout, scotch ale, pale ale, IPA, porter, and red ale. 4x12 of barrel aged stouts for around $12-13.

jbertsch likes this.
  16. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,125) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

There's no way they'll be that cheap here. My guess is $12 sixers and $16 BA 4pks.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  17. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

The Central Waters barrel-aged 4-packs (all or almost all of them?) have been intermittently in MA for a few years at this point. I think they usually come in at around $15, but can’t recall since it’s been a while. They are quite good though, especially the BBA barleywine.

18. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

has anyone sighted DDH cans of Pseudo Sue yet?

19. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Aspirant (205) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

I've almost given up on Toppling Goliath in CT. Every can or bottle I find is at least 3 months old. I really wanted to get Hopsmack but the bottles I find are all sitting at room temp and are from March or April.

20. mhull

mhull Initiate (105) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Does anyone know how long Von Trapp pushes out their best buy date? Had some best by Nov pils this week and thought it was excellent.

21. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (27) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I found Hop Butcher in MA yesterday. I had never heard of them or seen them but they review very well.

22. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (163) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Finally picked up some of Notch's The Standard at CBC last week after hearing nothing but good things and man does it sure deserve the praise - truly outstanding pils

Also grabbed some of Schilling's Czech dark lager since it's such an under-served style that I've come to love

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. Rysk22

Trader

I frustratingly can't find The Standard anywhere around Canton. Nor have I had any luck at the Yankee in Attleboro. Perhaps the Norfolk CBC has some...

24. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (131) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts

Modernism is a great beer. It nudged out Cerne Pivo for me when I had both during the Super Bowl this year.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

My favorite US craft beer.

26. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I’d be with you on favorite draft out of that horizontal Czech tap in their taproom. Sublime.

Had a can over the weekend & thought it was decent but not earth-shattering.

AlcahueteJ and soheadyithurts like this.
  27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Do they put out cans of this for distro often? I have only had it the one time I went to their brewery in Salem, and I will concur with you all- it is phenomenal. I live outside good distro generally but always check when I am closer to the city and have not seen it. I likewise, want to get some.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (453) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Its one of their main 16 oz can offerings on a regular basis.

29. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

I live on the north shore and see Notch everyday and everywhere. I’ve only seen the Standard 1-2x in packies

Its definitely not a regularly distro’d offering

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  30. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

This was my experience as well. $7 Urquell 4pk scratch that itch for me.

31. AlcahueteJ

Oh it's incredible on draft.

But even in cans, it's my favorite US Pilsner at LEAST, and off the top of my head I can't think of something else on the shelves I like better.

Notice I'm saying US craft beer/Pilsner. Imports, pending freshness, change the story a bit. Although Notch's stuff are the only beers that compare in my opinion.

As others have said, I always see it on in the tap room, but it only hits distro every couple months, unless I'm missing something.

32. AlcahueteJ

I just got ~2 month old Urquell, I think I have one can left. I need to do a side-by-side with The Standard.

33. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Since it's part of their Single Series, Ive always figured it's on rotation with other beers in the same line, like The Mule, Teenage Riot, Fodderstompf, etc.

Edit: At least, for cans. Seems to always been on in the taproom

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  34. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,390) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Happened to be at the Trapp Beer Hall for lunch today and I asked one of the employees. He said the date is six months from canning.

Also had their Natur Helles on draft and it was glorious. Bread, pepper and biscuit.

35. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (453) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts

I had more meant every few months or so. It’s not a one off in cans.

36. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

DDH Pseudo Sue popped up at CBC Westford today.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. kingsuect

Trader

anyone try? is this the queen sue or not as good as the galaxy one?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (18) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Not sure if it's exactly a beer shop find, but Publick House STILL has Mornin Delight on tap leftover from Tuesday. $12 5oz pours though, but that's a whole different discussion.

ManapuaMan and AlcahueteJ like this.
  39. Jonathan-Dixon

Jonathan-Dixon Initiate (40) Apr 10, 2016 Maine

I got a 4 pk of this dated 8/6 and it’s good. I prefer galaxy pseudo and king sue though.

AlcahueteJ and kingsuect like this.
  40. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (162) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

As much as I’ve heard from my sales rep, they only sell the majority of their stuff in the Boston area. I’ve asked for my store in Kingston before

AlcahueteJ likes this.