Beer shop finds.

Discussion in 'New England' started by Sweatshirt, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

How'd you like the Pirate Bomb? Saw it on the shelf and thought about it but passed.

Newport_beerguy likes this.
  2. Justin42

Trader

3F Oude Gueze at Fort Port Market; 375 ml for $15. Three left this afternoon

3. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anyone seen Pils & Love south of Boston?

4. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (260) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Haven't cracked it yet, but I'll let you know when I do. As soon as the temp drops at night I get into stout season. It's like instinct.

Rysk22 likes this.
  5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,121) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

It was 44 this morning in Boston. The temperature hasn't dropped at night yet in NH?

mrmattosgood likes this.
  6. Justin42

Trader

Thank you!

7. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (260) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

No it has, that’s why I started hoarding stouts.

I actually cracked it last night because I was intrigued. Just as good as I remember. Super smooth, really complex. Definitely grabbing another bottle.

Justin42 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  8. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (130) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

Co-sign, but north. I asked the guy at my beer store about Oxbow stuff and his answer was essentially, "It's too expensive. People don't buy it."

Sigh.

Oh, also, the two new Allagash beers: Haunted House and Truepenny. Anyone seen them around?

9. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (181) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

I love Oxbow and try to stock it as much as I can in our store, but its totally true. People do not buy it

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. bring

bring Initiate (85) Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Saw haunted house at Rapid.

AlcahueteJ and mrmattosgood like this.
  11. mrmattosgood

Trader

And that is because they are unsophisticated simpletons. I said it, you didn’t. You’re off the hook.

Sheppard, AlcahueteJ and Davl22 like this.
  12. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Pils & Love popped up at Fenway Beer Shop a couple days ago and at CBC Newton today.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  13. Trull

Trull Aspirant (201) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

I picked up a four pack of pils and love at Sudbury craft beer today....they also got a shipment of Allagash’s truepenny pilsner per their Facebook.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. pp7z

pp7z Initiate (17) Jan 1, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

My wife is extremely picky when it comes to enjoying sours/wilds. She loves Allagash wilds (who doesn't?), Treehouse 'tarts', some trillium wilds, and sours from Westbrook when we go to SC. I have been trying for a long time to search for something affordable and easy to find in a beer shop. (I can't just pick up 3-5 bottles of 'pick your own' allagash when she wants to have a few, unless I want to go broke fast). It's been a long time and I feel like we have been through SO MANY sours/goses throughout the past year. Prairie, nightshift, Destihl, Lone Pine, Stoneface...and dozens of others. Nothing sticks (and I'm usually stuck drinking the remaining cans).

Tonight I think things have finally changed. We found it. Was perusing Redstone earlier and again, picked up a six pack of a sour I figured I'd have to choke down unhappily after my wife said she didn't like it. But she cracked it, and fucking loved it...I took a sip and loved it. After drinking so many shit sours in cans the past year, this shit is wonderfully made and, although blasphemous, I think one could at least attempt to argue that it is CLOSE to allagash quality/taste. You can tell this isn't some shit kettle sour that I, unfortunately, know all too well at this point.

Crooked Stave - Sour Rose.

The name doesn't do it any favors, def not a gimmicky rose beer. That's prob why I have avoided it this long. But it's a fantastic beer.

Anyway, I am making this post for two reasons, because I'm pumped I finally don't have to drive 90 miles or make a trade every time my wife wants to drink...and also to ask for more recommendations on what she might also enjoy...I think she definitely leans more towards 'wild' as opposed to the 'kettle sour'...and she needs to have some fruit adjunct component....if there are any easy to find sours that you think are great value, let me know!!!

15. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has she tried fruited Lambics by Boon? They are cheaper than Allagash and Oxbox. I hear you on the cost-I Love Allagash Coolship beers, but they ain't cheap.

pp7z, mrmattosgood and AlcahueteJ like this.
  16. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (350) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Nothing blasphemous about that. Crooked Stave does sours/wilds as well as anyone.

17. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Picked up a bottle of Boulevard's 30th Anniversary Ale at CBC Westford. Interesting blend of beers. I've been a fan of their clean barrel-aged blends in the past, so looking forward to this one.

Also grabbed a can of Schilling's Konstantin (Austrian-style marzen).

rhino88888888 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  18. mrmattosgood

Trader

Co-sign. The term “sour” has been co-opted (like “hoppy” has) to mean anything acidic, either kettle or wild or mixed. I tend to stay away from the former. Crooked Stave is an Og of the game though. They deserve your love.

mgp and Sheppard like this.
  19. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (429) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm a real novice on sours/wilds, and this is a little off the path from the other options you mentioned, but I find Ommegang's Rosetta to be both interesting and super drinkable. Also only about $12 a four pack.

pp7z likes this.
  20. Trull

Trull Aspirant (201) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Picked up a four pack of pils and love at Sudbury craft beer. Looking forward to to having one this evening!

21. Justin42

Trader

I started reading this post and thought to myself, check out Crooked Stave, and yep, that's it! The St. Bretta is also fantastic. These are game-changers at this price point and format

pp7z likes this.
  22. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (28) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I found that Proclamation NEBco collaboration at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge on Friday. Giant Fuzzy Unicorn. Super good.
    It was the last one on the shelf but I don't know if that means it was actually the last one or not. I should have asked but I was only getting one 4pk anyway.
    It really tastes like a collaboration. Definitely something from each brewery.

23. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I snagged some myself and I gotta say, it's one of the best NEIPAs I've had in a while and definitely the best I've ever had from Proclamation.

Newport_beerguy likes this.
  24. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (162) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

It was a very small supply sent out it seems, my store got a case, sold it out same week, tried to order more and no go. Sucks cuz it sounds really tasty!

25. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Really was a great combination of each of their styles, am holding off on my last can from the Proclamation release, but would love to see it in the wild somewhere as well.

26. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (309) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Not exactly a beer shop find, but there’s a new “dive” bar in Amesbury that’s regularly got a few tasty beers on tap. Now granted, they only have 6 or 7 taps, but for a dive bar.....

Coors banquet
    Honest Weight Gate 37
    allagash haunted house
    Notch Czech Pilsner
    Zero gravity cone head
    Rathaus Pils.

That’s yer lot on tap. Pickled eggs, darts, pierogis.

And 32 oz pours of Rothaus!

27. Pldevo

Pldevo Initiate (53) Jul 25, 2015 New Hampshire

Last week I stumbled upon 750’s of Tilquin Mûre, Pinot Gris, and Quetsche in my local shops online store for 35$ each. Apparently they weren’t supposed to be available online, but the shop still honored the order.

I also picked up a 750 of Oude Gueuze ($28) when I went to the store to pick up my order.

28. AlcahueteJ

Damn, my kinda dive.

Was this the Session Pils?

rhino88888888 likes this.
  29. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Rothaus on tap sounds expensive

meefmoff likes this.
  30. mrmattosgood

Trader

What place in Amesbury? Because I could really see myself drinking a Haunted House, then a Gate 37, then a couple different pilsners, and washing them all down with a banquet beer.

31. AlcahueteJ

It's on tap regularly at Olde Magoun's and Publick House. I don't recall the price, but it's probably not more expensive than most New England IPAs on tap.

Or most imports for that matter.

meefmoff, LukieBL and MattOC like this.
  32. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Right on. Had a half liter of the Rothaus Marzen at Magoun's a few weeks back, $7.75. No issue paying that versus an NE IPA that I don't normally find in a 16 oz. plus pour. More like 12 oz. at more than $7.

33. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,174) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I love tap lists like this. And coincidentally I was just saying recently that I don't think I've ever had regular Coors banquet and hardly see it on tap anymore. I gotta tick that mofo.

Manfrombelmonty and AlcahueteJ like this.
  34. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

The pilsner has been on tap at Row 34 as far back as I can remember - I believe they use it for batter. I haven't been in a while, but it used to be $7 or $8 for a pint.

AlcahueteJ, rhino88888888 and MattOC like this.
  35. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Seems to be still. Beer menu online is from 9/23, but it's there, 16 oz./$8.

AirBob likes this.
  36. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

What do people see 6 packs of Rothaus for?

My local Kappys has it for like $15 or so

Looking for a cheaper locale

37. AlcahueteJ

I recall it being $16 where I shop. It ain't a cheap six pack for sure.

But hey, they're ~12.3 oz. bottles I think, bonus beer!

Which is exactly what their other German imports are priced.

Also, they serve every beer in it's correct glass as well. So it's poured right to a 16.9 oz. line (or higher sometimes).

$7.75 for a true half liter on tap is a good find in Somerville.

meefmoff, LukieBL and MattOC like this.
  38. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,174) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Pretty good price. I think I paid $9 for the Rothaus marzen at deep ellum.

AlcahueteJ and MattOC like this.
  39. mrmattosgood

Trader

I just bought Allagash Haunted House and had this interaction:

Me: "I'm sorry, what was the price?"

Clerk: "$15.20."

M: "Wow, that's more than I thought it'd be."

C: "I have beers that are like $22 for a four pack. You basically aren't getting good beer for less than $16 these days."

(I mean, besides the fact I can list many, many great beers under $16, I literally just bought a four-pack of beer for under $16 from this person. Is he telling me this isn't a good beer?)

40. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (86) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's always on tap at Branchline as well. Spendy though, $8 for a 14oz pour.