Beer sitting : Average ABV? (+poll)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 11, 2020.

?

Average beer sitting ABV?

This poll will close on Mar 31, 2020 at 2:31 AM.
  1. 6% or less

23.7%
  2. 6+%-10%

59.3%
  3. 10+%

7.4%
  4. Don't know and/or don't care.

9.6%
  1. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

My beer sittings are usually about 3 beers. 1st two ABV
    is between 4-6%. Probably some kind of IPA. Then I'll
    finish with a stronger beer. Maybe an IIPA, Barleywine,
    Imperial stout or porter,maybe bourbon barrel. The
    ABV being between 8-12%. So low end ABV around 5%,
    high end around 8%. How about you?

dukeandduke likes this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Most of the beers I have been consuming are ranging from 8% to 13%, needless to say my liver is asking for a vacation. Not sure on count, I never set a limit just roll with the day and see where I land.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (4,292) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I usually only have one beer a sitting, and it will be between 5 and 18% ABV. Didn't know what to put for the survey.

4. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Defender (612) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I don't really have "sittings" or "sessions" when I do my imbibing. I drink, on average, about 2 beers per day, but never back-to-back. Sometimes that number is 1, sometimes it's 3. 3 beers days tend to make me feel guilty, and i geberally avoid them. I'll generally wait until after 2pm-3pm to drink the first, usually an IPA between 6.5% and 8% ABV, and then the second will be around 7-8pm, sometimes an IPA, sometimes a wild ale, sometimes a big stout. 3 beer days usually mean a beer after 9pm, or a beer between 12pm and 2pm.

Of course, a BCBS or other big stout will knock me into that 13% category, but that's an exception to the rule.

5. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Averages out to between 11+12%?

6. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Crusader (776) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Most evenings I find myself drinking a sixer of 8% DIPAs. But I'm somewhat of a lush, so there's that.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (4,292) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

That's a 9.6 pack of Bud!

8. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Defender (612) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Please give my most sincere condolences to your liver for me.

9. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,297) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

My average rating among those posted is about 6.6%. Have a backlog I need to work through, though I don't expect it to change much if I am able to enter the rest.

I like all types of beer styles, so although stouts (winter) and WCIPAs (year round) are my favorite styles, I drink many lighter beers in the warmer weather to balances things out. Also a fan of cask, which is typically a lower ABV pour.

10. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,034) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

My mean :wink: is probably in the 6-6.5% .
    I drink a lot more lower abv beers (<5.5%) than >8% , but guessing the above is the usual.

19etz55 and dukeandduke like this.
  11. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,256) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I rarely drink more than one at a sitting, and I rarely buy sub-6% beer. If I'm going to blow calories on beer, I'm going to make it count. Having said that, if I ever run across anything on cask, all bets are off.

12. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,563) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Im normally drinking bigger imperial stouts these days 10 to 18% abv. But mostly only one or two and only Thur through Sun. If I go to a third beer its always a pale ale or amber lager type style with abv between 5 and 6%

just dont have the time in a day to do much more than that

SudsDoctor and 19etz55 like this.
  13. BrewHound601

BrewHound601 Initiate (24) Jan 30, 2020

by 13 I'm typically at headache, sleepy, fear of a terrible nights rest or all of the ABoVe

jkrich and 19etz55 like this.
  14. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (154) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

6.3, 6.65, 5.3

19etz55 likes this.
  15. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (81) Feb 3, 2019 California

I'm a big fan of NE IPA's; they average a dip below 8%. Also a fan out stouts, but they are 11%+ so I take my time to enjoy them.

19etz55 likes this.
  16. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (452) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Voted don't know/don't care because I'm not really sure what it is your asking (average ABV in a sitting, number of beers, range of ABV?).
    If it will be several beers over most of the day they'll be 5% or lower; nothing to do/no reason to leave the house is a variable number of 5%-10%. A couple with & after dinner, <5%-10% depending on the meal. Watching a movie on Friday or Saturday night will be a couple of >10% 12oz bottles or a single >10% of a large format.

17. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,456) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I'm all over the map - I tend to buy what I haven't seen before or order something based on what I am eating or what I am doing.

JediMasterLenin and 19etz55 like this.
  18. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I generally don't plan my beer drinking based on ABV, just either by style or what beer is calling out to me at the time that i'm thirsty.

19. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,265) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Isn't that like 1500 calories and $12+ a day?

If it wasn't for fear of gaining weight or going broke, I would be such an alcoholic.

20. Mister_Faucher

Trader

Yeah, it is a lot of calories. But I don't eat breakfast and rarely eat lunch, I guess sadly I'm drinking most of my calories daily.

bsp77, Shanex and officerbill like this.
  21. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (79) May 25, 2019 Maryland

4.9 and under. Though I drink several Ales a day and want to show people you can have good abs and drink Ale.

19etz55, Mister_Faucher and Shanex like this.
  22. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,503) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

2-3 beers a day on average. Mostly WCIPA or DIPA around 7-8% or Belgian triple and BSPA in the same ABV range. This is not good. Need to exercise more. My « food diet » is slightly better though. No diet really but more variety (fruits and vegetables) and less junk/carbs as much as I can.

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,386) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

This.

Bitterbill, bbtkd and officerbill like this.
  24. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (303) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire

And are "people" suitable impressed? One can only hope.

AWA and algebeeric_topology like this.
  25. BigStein88

Ha, don't be bullied or feel the need to justify. It all ends up the same in the end..

AWA, 19etz55 and Mister_Faucher like this.
  26. Mister_Faucher

Trader

Oh, not at all brutha! I'm on beer four and it's 4pm local. :slight_smile:

Shanex and 19etz55 like this.
  27. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Disciple (392) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

ABV doesn't usually determine what I'm drinking.
    That being said, I generally don't like beers over 10-11% ABV, and tend to avoid them.
    A session is typically between 1 and 3 beers, almost every day.
    Once a year, all bets are off.
    Once a year, I'll drink about one beer + or - an hour for about 15 hours at a party.
    What can I say? It's my birthday!

28. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Champion (879) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

its usually one and done for me, lower end if im drinking multiple

DogbiteWilliams and 19etz55 like this.
  29. karekorn

karekorn Initiate (28) Jan 31, 2020 Illinois

Being that I'm a pretty small woman, I might have 1-2 over the course an evening that range from 4.5-6 ABV.

Or one imperial stout ranging from 10-12% with dinner, while husband has his whiskey. I usually only drink on the weekends though (but, I make exceptions to that - had a tasty hot chocolate nitro imperial stout last night because work sucked!).

If I'm drinking slowly throughout the day at a party, I could have 4, but all 5% ABV and under.

30. Barettes

Barettes Aspirant (259) Aug 4, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

Usually 2 beers max, occasionally three. If the can or bottle is upwards of 12%, then it's one (and may still need to be split over two evenings, depending on bottle size)
    I restrict consumption to Thursday Friday Saturday, generally.
    I'm also a woman, and appreciate beers in the 4-6% range because of tolerance issues which I suspect are due in part to being female.

31. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Disciple (321) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania

Nerd alert...I love the posts that involve numbers. Interesting responses and I'm sure there's some overlap in mine...I looked at the average ABV of the beers I've rated over the last 6-8 months and it runs just below 7%. I would think the average ABV of the beers I actually drink would be more in the 6% range. I typically only drink Fri-Sat-Sun and usually start with 2-3 higher ABV (~6%+) "craft" brews and finish out with lower ABV mass brews (~5% or lower). Typically 3-6 beers spread over 4-6 hours.

And how I answered the poll (because I know you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting)...Like most folks, I voted 6-10%.

19etz55 likes this.
  32. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (955) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I voted don't even know, but most of the beer I drink is between5 and 7 %.

33. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (598) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I voted 6+%-10%. When I drink more than one beer, the first is ≤5%-7+% ABV, and the second will likely be ≥7%, sometimes up to or beyond 12%. I average around 7 beers/week (usually just Thurs-Sun), usually 1-2/day, very rarely 3 or more.

19etz55 likes this.
  34. bsp77

Society

So... this is potentially ostracizing to be posting this, but at what point should we not be condoning behavior? It seems that many people are drinking 4, 5, 6 or more beers every night, oftentimes high abv ones. Should we be celebrating this? That is alcoholism, and probably obesity in many cases as well.

And to be fair, I had about 2 years after my divorce (mid 2017 to mid 2019) where I was probably averaging 5 every night, much of it in a social atmosphere. Luckily, I was also running about 50 miles a month during a majority of those months and prevented major weight gain (still gained about 15 pounds). But that had to be damaging. So I am now down to averaging about 2 a day - still not the healthiest choice but whatever. But I don't feel we should be normalizing this among ourselves.

#34 bsp77, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  35. BigStein88

Fair questions. I don't know anything about the guy so not in any position to pass any judgement and I don't encourage others to judge situations they know nothing about either. I mean, hey, I could be someone who doesn't believe in divorce (I'm not) and could judge you from your post without knowing a thing about you, but I won't. The guy is posting about drinking beer on a beer forum on a beer website, which I try to have fun with.

36. bsp77

Society

This isn't directed at him; it just started me thinking about it. All the love for that guy as I don't know the situation and he seems a nice dude.

And this isn't meant to be a judgement, it is more of a concern. When do we say, hey do you need some help? In some ways I needed help post divorce, but in other ways I was simply reacting to what had happened to me, as I had been with her from 19 to 39 and never had my crazy 20s.. And since I pulled out of it, it probably wasn't too bad of a thing. So, not judging.

37. BigStein88

Not sure where I get real concerned, but 4 to 6 beers a night isn't it, I'm sure of that. May or may not be the best course of action but I would guess there many, many people operating successfully on a daily basis with that kind of consumption.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  38. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (154) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Functioning alcoholics are a thing (grew up with one)

mogulskier likes this.
  39. BigStein88

Exactly.

mogulskier likes this.
  40. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (81) Feb 3, 2019 California

Truth.

thesherrybomber likes this.