Beer Smith App

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,062) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Anyone out there have info on whether the new Beer Smith mobile app for Android can be used w/o owning the PC version? I don't yet own the PC version (don't design my recipes on my home PC), but would like to get the app and start using it for my recipe formulations. Thanks.

2. Mfedonczak

Mfedonczak Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2008 Texas

I have the PC version also but you don't need it to run the app.

3. pointyskull

pointyskull Disciple (309) Mar 17, 2010 Illinois
    Subscriber

Yep, same here.
    I thought I read the two could be sync'd, though I haven't done that yet.

4. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Is it fairly easy to add new ingredients to the mobile app database? I have home grown hops that will not be found in any standard databases that I will need to add in.

5. Mfedonczak

It is easy to do but you have to use the cloud service.

6. Mfedonczak

Yes you can add/delete ingredients pretty quickly.

7. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) May 20, 2003 Pennsylvania

Not sure what you're looking to do between the two, but there is an android app called BrewAide. I use it on my tablet for brew days. Still design the recipe in Beersmith on my Mac, export the recipe to a dropbox folder that the BrewAide is synced to. It pulls it up no problem. Even better, dropbox and BrewAide are free apps.

8. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Anybody know how to account for hop absorption? I've got 9oz of whole hops in my beer and it is not changed the OG or the starting boil volume at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.